Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Making LG doors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making LG doors?

( hope this is in the right forum) Geez, I think I'm over my head by taking this on but how does this sound as a start: I'm installing CJ air-retracs in a very nice older RTC ModelTech P-51D. First everything needs to be hacked open and braced, etc.etc. I've traced out the dimensions of inner & outer gear doors over the sheeted balsa on a piece of mylar...should I now glass the wing in this area a couple of layers then try to cut out the doors from my pattern?.....how do you do this if you were scratch building?. Also who sells P-51 wheels that are not plastic? 2 3/4"? Thanks for any ideas ....
Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Making LG doors?

Mike,
check this link out. I think what Dave did is the same thing you are trying to do. Really neat and easy method I thought.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5869761/anchors_6755813/mpage_6/key_thebluemax/anchor/tm.htm#6755813]gear doors[/link]

it will start around post 136 on that page.

good luck,
Bill
Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, Bill beat me to it

I was going to look for the thread were i did the same thing for my Mustang, but it's exactly the same process as the Fw-190.

Thanks

dave
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Mike I just use sheet aluminum. You can curve it to fit the wing. and the weight is about the same. maybe lighter.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry Dave,
It was at my finger tips as I bookmarked the thread. I really like how easy and simple your processed is. I have already used it once to make a replacement door for one that broke on me. The only thing I did differently was I taped the monokote down on the wing instead of ironing it on as the wing was already covered. Came out really good as the curve of the wing gives it the right shape....
Bill
Old 09-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Hey that's the idea! Sweeeeettt! , I knew someone must have done all the hard work before me! Teehee,. Really thanks. Can't wait to get 'r goin. BTW: I have Litho Alum sheets from a printing shop my buddy owns. I will not use on this size bird but on my TF. GS. THis is only 65" ws and I plan on using Lab Metal. It's real aluminum paint. Can be applied to almost anything, LAB METAL.....looks like the plane was dipped in a Vat of aluminum. Cool!.