Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

H9 Hellcat Crash Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9 Hellcat Crash Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Vendetta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Hellcat Crash Video

Well, I completely destroyed my hellcat today. I believe the crash was caused by a faliure of the elevator due to the pushrod guide breaking off from the Plywood guide and causing the guide and rod to flex to the point I had no throw in the elevator. I was in a steep dive and moving pretty fast which just added more stress to the control surface. In restospect I should have mounted the sero for the elevator near the tail or added more plywood guides to the fuse for the guides.

Just a warining for you folks ! The vid is linked below.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF9wvjupGKY[/link]
Old 10-12-2008, 10:03 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H9 Hellcat Crash Video

hmmm ,

sorry for the loss of your hellcat, but i dont think H9 is responsible for the crash here. EXCESS SPEED IS THE KILLER !!!!

bassman
Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In that video it looks like you're pulling way too hard on the elevator at high speeds. Throttle management!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 AM
hornplayer99

I have found that on "ANY" ARF you should always reglue any pushrod connections due to the use a a basic white glue from the factory. I always use GOOP and it won't come apart....You should actually check all glue joints especially the firewall...
Old 10-13-2008, 04:51 AM
camdyson

Exhaust pipe a bit hot was it?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:42 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

cant tell from the film bro , but very nice flying overall , only thing I can guess about was that you may have need rudder not elevator , if you were in an uncontroable dive/spin ???again cant tell but ...rudder imput may have helped not elevator -speed looked pushed to the max but elevator looked rocked solid with little chance of flutter .
Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Vendetta

Like I said, speed was definately a factor.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vendetta-

Really sorry for your loss, that was a great flying plane. My guess is that due to the impact it will be impossible to tell what caused your accident. With all of the G force applied at impact many things fail. When I built my H9 Corsair I knew I wanted to put an OS .91 FX in it to simulate closer to actual flight characteristics. To do this I had to replace or reinforce all of the stock equipment in the plane. I reasoned that if I was going to exceed the manufacturers recommendations on engine size I better plan for speed induced problems both in flight and landing (no flaps). I went so far as to fiberglass a large portion of the inside of the wing. I lost a plane many years ago due to not planning for speed...it's to expensive!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry to see your Hellcat go in. Scale speed for this bird would be around 50- 60 mph, which doesn't look all that fast. My first warbird was (is) the CMP Hellcat, and the first 10 or so flights were spent getting it "tamed down" so that it flew like a war bird instead of my usual sport model type. This included running the oversize engine at half throttle for takeoffs and cruising. It will go faster, but just doesn't "look right" to me doing so. JMO

Onward to the next one!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Vendetta or anyone else with Hangar 9 experience:

I know you have all said speed was the killer here, but other than gluing the sleeve is there anything else I should do to keep from having control problems. I have pretty much all new servos and have a brand new servo for the elevator. Just curious. I have a ys 91 fz and don't want the same thing to happen. I will try to keep it slow as well. I sure liked how fast this plane looked until the end though!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 PM
crashproof

There are many, many of these planes flying fine going fast. If a plane goes down it does not mean because it was too fast. Many things can happen to cause something to fail. A ys 91 is not too much for a .60 size Warbird. JMHO and I have flown and seen many fly. Kevin.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Vendetta

add either more plywood guides along the inside of the fuse or rear mount the servos... I learned the hard way !
Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM
KentuckyColonel

My friend lost his Hanger 9 60 P-47 the same way. Way too much speed coming out of a dive, lost elevator and the end result....well, his plane was in even smaller pieces than yours!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
tevans55

ORIGINAL: spitfire66

Vendetta or anyone else with Hangar 9 experience:

I know you have all said speed was the killer here, but other than gluing the sleeve is there anything else I should do to keep from having control problems. I have pretty much all new servos and have a brand new servo for the elevator. Just curious. I have a ys 91 fz and don't want the same thing to happen. I will try to keep it slow as well. I sure liked how fast this plane looked until the end though!
I sealed the gap between my control surfaces and made sure there was no flex in the rods for my control surfaces.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Johnnie Red

Hey Vendetta

Durability is relevant to the user. If somebody is flying a H9 F6F like a pylon racer then he needs durability. You should reienforce your controls for flights like this. Non stop High speed is high G flight and always need reenforcements on the structure in general terms mate.
I think that H9 is aiming to the scale like flyer not to the Pylon racer.
Sorry for your loss but on your next project either you have to strengthen your structure or you change the way you fly. Try to fly smoother not fast and try to avoid high G turns. You'll have whole a lot of airplanes flying smoother than this and the lifecycle of your models will increase in a matter that you won't beleive.
Good luck on your next project.
J.R.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

Never have figured out why people fly warbirds in such an unscale manor. Do the math your planes speed x scale would work out 800 or 900 mph. I didn't know hellcats went that fast.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM
mk1spitfire

you need a jet next dude
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 PM
tunes079

BUMMER
Old 10-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Vendetta

Wow a lot of hatters around here...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 AM
phippsj
My Feedback: (15)

My club field is full of retards like you. You go to the local hobby shop and drop $300 on a crappy balsa ARF, put a way-too-big engine in it and fly it like an acro plane and THEN, you are all surprised when it comes apart.

Besides that, you are capturing the whole thing on video. I think your plan was to fly the crap out of this plane and abuse it to the point that something fails and it crashes.

Cool video, man. Stay the hell away from my flying field!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:25 PM
CamoCrazy
My Feedback: (1)

What are we Sunni's and *****e's now? OFF WITH YOUR HEAD AMERICAN PIG!! I KILLA YOU!! I feel bad for the dude but it was also funny. If he wasn't filming it, it wouldn't have crashed probably.

Jerry
Old 10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with most of the posts here (except the "retard" comment). If you're going to fly a warbird like a pylon racer, you have to inspect and alter to bring it up to the job. I'm sure that the stock setup works just fine for scale warbird type of flying. Things like cutting the throttle at the top of loops, etc.
I don't feel that the manufacturer is responsible for this accident. And from what I can make of the "less than well shot" video...it was flown extremely hard the entire flight.
Just my .02.
SDC
Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 PM
deatonbt

I wasn't going to bump this one to the top but what the hey.

These planes are toys. It doesn't matter if a warbird does not fly in a scale like manner. Big deal.

If you're wringing a plane out, you don't know if it is going to flutter.

Kick the beginner off the field. They're more likely to crash and they know it. <sarcasm>
Old 10-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

It's brutal in here...sorry for your loss bud.. Get a larger one and fly it slower..
Old 10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: MEMPHISBELLE
Never have figured out why people fly warbirds in such an unscale manor. Do the math your planes speed x scale would work out 800 or 900 mph. I didn't know hellcats went that fast.
Amen. Mine had a Saito .91 for power, swinging a 3 blade MA 14 x 7, and was the most beautiful flying warbird I have ever flown. Rarely flew at full throttle, scale speeds made for beautiful, tight scale turns. But every now and then, just to prove that it had more than enough power: I would hover it (at full throttle) for a few moments. Never could figure out whay anyone would want more power than that (in a warbird).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.