Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli Engine & three blade prop question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli Engine & three blade prop question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 01:57 PM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli Engine & three blade prop question

Hi guys, I have a small question,

I have a 20x6 and a 22X10 three bladed Zinger prop. I have a Brisson 5.8 and a G-62.

I can order new blades if needed but I was wondering if anyone has used the G-62 or Brisson with a three bladed Zinger and if so what size did you use?

I will decide if I want to go with gobs of power in the Brisson or decent power with the Zenoah. My only concern is that I do not cutout my cowl. I have pitts style mufflers for both engines.

Thanks!
Aron
Old 05-26-2003, 08:54 PM
TOKYO30
My Feedback: (2)

Aron, My first 3 blade prop from Zinger was for a Mustang 50 on a Ziroli stuka. I believe I ordered a 20X8. However, I found that it really loaded the engine so I measured the pitch and found it to be about 1.5 inches higher than advertised. I have since started constructing my own 3-blades when I can't find one other than Zinger. My point is, expect the Zinger pitch to be higher than advertised. I have found that an 8 inch pitch with the diameter as large (up to scale length) as the engine will turn around 5500 to 6000 rpm will give great static thrust and a good speed range. Hope this helps, Charlie
Old 05-26-2003, 11:37 PM
AC2

Default Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the input!

I would still like to hear from someone who has flown the P-40 or used the combos mentioned. I think the 20X6 would be a good fit to start with on the G-62 but would the 20" prop look too small on the P-40? How would this combo fly the P-40?? Since it is not built yet its hard to tell. I would like to find out before I get the spinner cut from someone with experience with either combo.

AC
Old 05-29-2003, 06:34 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

The G62 is kind'a smallish for any three bladed prop, especially if you're talking about a Ziroli P40.

You didn't say which P40 you're asking about.

I have a Ziroli P40 with a ZDZ80 and a Mejlik 24-10 three bladed prop. It hauls *****...

With a Brisson 5.8, which is around 95cc, a 24-10, 14 or larger would be required.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:52 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default p-40

Aron,
I have information at home from a guy I know who makes reduction belt drives and multiblade props...I'll post some information here this evening. i have seen it used on a Ziroli P-40 with impressive success. It had a ST3500 and swung as scale diameter 3-bladed prop. It looked awesome! Anyhow, this gent sells them and has asked me to pass his name along to anyone interested.....I'll do so this evening.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:11 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Prop reduction

Sean, please post the info on the prop reduction. I'm always interested in a "better way". thanks BobH.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:21 AM
smchale

Default Reduction Drive

I had mentioned in my previous post about seeing a Ziroli P-40 with this belt drive set-up. The guy's name is Duane Vandermolen and he Ollie and worked
together on the proto type drive. Duane since has moved to Bermuda Dunes CA. I know he had another one on a test stand destined for a Pica 1/5th scale spitfire. Unfortunately I haven't spoken with Duane in ages....last I knew, his e-mail was:
[email protected] (tell him you got it from me and I say hi!)

OK guys, as promised.....here's the information (it took me some time to reduce the picture small enough to post on here):

The gent's name is Ulrich Glimm and he is located in BC, Canada. His email is: [email protected] (again, please let him know that I passed you along to him)

This is copied right from email correspondance we had recently:

Hi I am new to the internet , I cnc machine custom reduction drives for the scale propellers on large planes. My reduction drive is 1.75: 1 using a serpintine belt, it brings the output shaft up towards the head so more of the engine can be inside the cowl,very good for 1\4 and 1\5 scale war birds. I'm sorry I don't have a website yet. In the picture you can see the reduction drive mounted to a Super Tiger 4500 . With this drive on the 4500 I get 4200 rpm with a 24" 3blde prop at 15Deg. pitch, this flew a 1/4 scale P40 war bird very well. I sell this drive for $450. US. I can custom make adapter plates for most motors, i.e.: chainsaw conversions etc. Call for pricing.

(I think he meant to say 1/5th scale P-40) - sean.

--------
Hope this is of interest guys! I've been itching to use one ever since I saw Duane fly his P-40. Oh, here is the web site for the Solo prop manufacter www.soloprops.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82497_10306.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	48009  
Old 05-30-2003, 12:53 PM
AC2

Default Sean,

I've only got one word to say...Awesome!

That is the seewtest setup I have seen to date! Prices are very reasonable as well..

Thanks! Aron

Branded, You gotta love this setup!
Old 05-30-2003, 04:36 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

It looks awesome!! I personally would rather not screw around with S/T's, or any glow motor, but I to each his own as they say.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:36 PM
AC2

Default Glow??

I don't think so! No offense glow guys!

My next project is a Ziroli Hellcat, the thing I was most concerned about was what scale type three bladed prop/hub/spinner I could put on it and now that problem appears to have been solved as well!

AC
Old 05-30-2003, 07:11 PM
smchale

AC,

See if you can track down Jack Devine on here. He gave me a lot of good tips before I built my Ziroli hellcat, and if I recall he had some big stump-puller for an engine with a 3-bladed prop.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:31 PM
AC2

Default Okay,

I did not realize Jack had a Z Hellcat. In Fact, Jack, if you are out there, you promised to make me famous!

BTW, I try to not go to the same well too many times!
lol,
Aron
Old 05-31-2003, 02:10 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 3 bladed prop

Sean, thanks for the info. looks pretty dang cool!!.... might work well with a smaller gasser too huh?... BobH.