Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 03:48 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ziroli Rare Bear

I have a Ziroli Bearcat kit waiting to be built, but I am seriously considering turning it into Rare Bear. Has anyone done this, and if they have what were the results? To be scale, I will have to remove half of the aileron and build it flapless. I would imagine this would make for a rather hot landing bid, the full scale lands very fast! Any opinions?
Old 05-29-2003, 04:03 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli Rare Bear

Jeff,

I think Rare Bear would be an awesome subject! But it would be scary for exactly the reasons you mention. I guess it depends how big your runway is and if you feel comfortable landing hot.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2003, 04:46 PM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

Default Ziroli Rare Bear

Talk to Evan Q. from Texas. Great guy and he has just what you are talking about. I am not sure if his is a Ziroli or not but he has a Big "Rare Bear". Very hot airplane, BIG 102 BME (I think) in the nose. I think he built flaps and in my humble opinion, I would build with the flaps. He will probably chime in soon anyway. He is a true craftsman and gentleman. Good luck...
Old 05-29-2003, 04:57 PM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Default Da bear

Jeff, I did indeed do a ziroli bearcat as the Rare Bear. I used the Purple and white color scheme used in the early 80's. Mine is powered with a bme 102 which pushes it to speeds well in excess of 120mph. I fly from a short field so I decided to build mine with the full wingspan and flaps. The flaps are very effective and at full throw on final, you can practically walk faster than the airplane is flying. Touchdown speeds are VERY low. The bme fits in the cowl(barely) with 2 degrees of right thrust, I have about 1/8 in. clearance from the left spark plug to the cowl. Other manufacturers twins will not fit because the spark plugs are centered in the head. On the BME they are angled up which provides a good 3/4 in reduction in width. I used the regular robart retracts on it because they were much simpler. The plane is not very scale but I built it just for fun anyway. Lots of pics of the plane under construction and finished on my webpage:
http://www.homestead.com/evoshangar/home.html
Evan Q.
Rich, When am I gonna see some pics of that mustang!??
Old 05-29-2003, 05:59 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Default rare bear

I have a new Quadra 100 to put in mine, and I am waiting for Sierra Precision to get his retracts done for the Ziroli version. I am tempted to go the full rare bear deal. I have Top Flight Bear that is ready for paint, I thought about clipping that one. Talk about HOT landings!!!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:04 PM
JimA

Default Orange Rare Bear

Hi Evan,

I am building a 1/12th scale racing version in the orange color scheme. What process did you use to find pictures and create decals or masks to paint with? My biggest challenge is finding any pictures and close enough ones to draw decals from.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-29-2003, 10:12 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Default Ziroli Rare Bear

Some good 3-views here:
http://warbirdaeropress.com/articles.../TaichiNew.htm
Old 05-29-2003, 10:15 PM
JimA

Default Ziroli Rare Bear

Thanks Terry,

I have found only the old gold scheme here and am looking for the orange color scheme with decal layouts etc. I guess that I could just drive up to Reno and take some pictures if the Bear team agrees? : )
JA
Old 05-29-2003, 11:23 PM
fw190d9

Default rarebear

Jim, I purchased pictures from Bob Banka's scale aircraft documentation. Do a search for his website. Also, you can get great pics on the web here:
http://www.rarebear.com
http://warbirdaeropress.com/Photo%20...RareBear-1.htm
I made all my own paint masks from frisket paper and 3m fine line tape.
Evan Q.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:32 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ziroli Rare Bear

The Ziroli Bearcat airfoil developes lots of lift. The root chord on this plane will allow you to do the Rarebear version with not alot of stress to worry about, if, and only if you build with final weight in mind. If you want a ball burner, once you clip the wings, fare in the aft end of the fuse, chop the canopy and add a very huge spinner, you will have a slippery little airplane that will penetrate like an eel through sea weed. G62 or smaller will get you a plane that will come out with a nice low wing loading, even without flaps on the clipped set up. You go 4.2 or larger, and you will sink a little faster on your approaches. My American Eagle Bearcats (which look very very close to the Ziroli plans version) have run with 4.2 and 5.8s, the plane will slow to a gastly unscale like pace on approach, without using flaps, make the Rarebear changes and it will come in at what I know will be a manageble speed that not too fast. After giving it some thought, the wing span you lose, is going to be made up for in the weight you lose also, as you forgo the two servos for the flaps, and the weight of the outboard wing tips themselves.
And finally, I currently have a Top Flight Bearcat that I clipped wings on for racing some 10 years ago, built no flaps and found no bad habits, actually made the plane fly alot better when I cut it from 60 something to 54".

Ray
Old 05-30-2003, 12:39 AM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Default Ziroli Rare Bear

I saw Evan's Rare Bear at Bomber Field and drooled. What a hot looking plane. He is a very competent pilot with it also.
Brian
Old 05-30-2003, 12:51 AM
fw190d9

Default Rarebear

Brian, Looking forward to seeing you there again. The BEAR shall return! Ive put a new bigger P-51 style spinner on it and painted the prop purple with white tips a'la full scale. Its now running a 24/14 menz ultra and is much quieter and faster. BTW, take a look at my webpage for pics of my latest aquisition. I think you of all people will definately like it.
http://www.homestead.com/evoshangar/Jug.html
Evan Q.