Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

which country had the best fighter planes of WWII

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Japan
1.51%
Italy
0.71%
France
0.30%
Great Britain
10.29%
USA
50.86%
Russia
2.02%
Germany
33.60%
China
0.20%
Others
0.50%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

which country had the best fighter planes of WWII

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Marcol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: which country had the best fighter planes of WWII

[/quote]
I myself, I don't like the Spit, it's kinda goofy looking and to much praise goes toward it.

[/quote]

I have resisted the temptation to post because I thought this thread might (no would) degrade into a slanging match.

But please don't ever say the Spitfire is not THE most beautiful fighter ever made . It might come second on some things , but in looks it's the tops.

My most vivid memory is being at the Duxford flying legends airshow 4 or 5 years ago watching 7 Spits perform the most mesmerising display I've ever seen. There were 3 of the earlier marks performing loops in front of the crowd, while 2 pairs performed cross overs up and down the flightline. When Ray Hanna was still alive his closing display at the Biggin Hill air show, in Spitfire MH434, was regarded by all as the finest display ever. I love all warbirds especially the P51 and the Corsair but the Spitfire is king.

Just to throw another Iron in the fire. Anything the P38 could do , The Mosquito could do it better, faster, higher etc.

Steps back with flak jacket ready
Old 01-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Veltro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waging war is as much administrative as it is actual combat. Putting the best into production isn't always the right decision. The US Navy could have had the Bearcat in service much sooner that it did. The Bearcat was developed to counter the next generation of Japanese fighters (George and Jack), not defend against the kamikazes. When it became clear that George and Jack were not going to be produced in large numbers, the Navy decided to maintain the status quo instead. Their statistics indicated new naval aviators flying the Hellcat were getting the job done at acceptable loss levels. Sure, they could have created a squadron of super aces racking up kills in the Bearcat, but from an administrative standpoint it made more sense to utilize combat veterans as instructors.

The Beech XA-38 Grizzly was another incredible airplane, but from an administrative standpoint what the United States was already flying was getting the job done and the Grizzly's engines could be better-used on the B-29.

Oh, and by the way, I know this thread is about fighters, but who put the first WW II bomber on the moon? It was the United States, baby. A B-32 Dominator. It made the front page of the National Enquirer about 30 years ago.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This bring to mind the easy aircraft id chart that was sprung on me when I test flew my first spit in 1984 ( a Platt) and I’ve always enjoyed its simplicity.
For aircraft id:
If its ugly, its British.
If it is odd, its French.
If its ugly and odd then its Russian.
If it looks like it flew here directly from hell, its German.

The spit is more like the only pretty girl at the dance in Britten.

Thanks to Mike N.
Joe
Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
BIG GEOFF

if its big headed its american
if its a fat moose its american
if the facts are distorted its american

the only way america got a decent fighter was for a brit to fit a rolls royce merlin.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Yeah, the P-40, P-47 and P-38 were not effective fighters at all...
Old 01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
skull1971

I myself, I don't like the Spit, it's kinda goofy looking and to much praise goes toward it.

But please don't ever say the Spitfire is not THE most beautiful fighter ever made . It come second on some things , but in looks it's the tops.
I love all warbirds especially the P51 and the Corsair but the Spitfire is king.

Just to throw another Iron in the fire. Anything the P38 could do , The Mosquito could do it better, faster, higher etc.

Well, that's what I said and I stand by it! By far over rated, I love the Hurricane, it like the little engine that could, and did. IMO ya want to have a spot of tea, and give the Jerry's a good showing, take a Spit. Ya want to down a pint, and go kick Hun ass, take the Hurricane. I see it as an under rated, working class fighter.

Mosquito DQ'ed, in my mind from this poll, it's a bomber. "The DH88 Mosquito was conceived in 1938 as a unarmed day bomber fast enough to outrun enemy fighters." The Book of Warplanes by Kenneth Munson 1985
The P-38 was conceived as a fighter.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 PM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: BIG GEOFF

if its a fat moose its american

Sorry, but when I think of a Moose I think of Canada!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 PM
GIR8

I think there are a lot of people on here that need to remove their head from you know where

There is no such thing as an ugly British plane they were all beautiful I mean compare the stearman to the lovely tiger moth I like both but its like beauty and the beast.

As for the Mustang it was built to a British spec and only flew like it should with a British engine.

Get over it fat and ugly is US just plain gorgeous and its British.

One last one corsair versus seafury NUFF SAID
Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Evil_Merlin

If there was an Ugly Plane competition, the Brits would come out easily with three or four of the top 10... so don't be tossing stones...
Yes, the Spitty is a sexy bird, but how about some horrid stuff from the Tommies?

Fairey Gannet
Short Seamew
Westland P.12
Westland Wyvern
Old 01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
paladin

Geoff, i left off what he said about the americans.

If it looks like any of the above but its not and the sky is full of them, its american.

Joe
Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
skull1971

Oh come now, Mate! Lanc [:'(] vs. B-17[sm=wink_smile.gif]

My guess was the Brit's went for function over form.

Oh I guess to give a little back, the P-61 now that was an ugly plane.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

you guys are all clowns, if the Brits wouldn't of had the Spitfire, hands own the would win the "bring the ugly plane to the fight party." The Mustang wasn't built to British specs , they were looking for another P40...American Specs. Something that should be noticed is that the Brits are climbing up the chart for the best fighters.......America and Germany are loosing ground.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:20 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: GIR8
One last one corsair versus seafury NUFF SAID
Is that supposed to be a comparison between 2 WW II fighters? Is so, maybe someone forgot to tell you: the Sea-Fury never even shot at an enemy aircraft in WW II, let alone inflick any damage to the enemy.

NUFF SAID
Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
skull1971

Maybe it's enough that the Corsair and Fury were in production at the same time. Of course so was the P-80, F-86, B-36, and maybe XB-52, they quit building them when?? 1954? Plus they flew as front line fighter for smaller countries well into the 1960's. BUT it did take the Brit's to figure out how to make'em work on carriers.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
paladin

as poorly as meny of the brit planes looked, i thing this one would give them some competition. although it does look like it takes black magic to make it fly.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45503.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1103621  
Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 PM
BIG GEOFF

brewster buffalo now that looks like an american housewife
Old 01-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Ram-bro

thats innovative and functional, wha the Brits did ....man....Its like they had an ugly plane contest during the war.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Ram-bro

Big Geoff,don't knock until you tried it.....
Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

All P-38's could Dogfight... and tangle with my friends to some degree, the (J) was the best. The Mosie was not built for Dogfighting... but I do agree that the plane was fast and was a excellent tactical ground pounder. It's was made of plywood and it was cheap to make.

The Luftwaffe tried to duplicate the Mosie and somewhat failed.

I think the Blohm&Voss was butt ugly, but it was a very good re-con plane. I'm suprized no one has mentioned that Germany had the first wartime produced helicopter? [:@]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke_Achgelis_Fa_223

I can't find right now... but there was a record of the first FW-190 A-1 encountering a Spit Mk5 in 1941. Dispite the engine having issues on the A-1, the Focke Wulf ate the Spitfire... and spat out the pilot. [sm=lol.gif]

I have the Specs in my lap... from what I have here in this book, the P-51D and SPIT MK.XIV was the most feared Allied planes by the Luftwaffe.

By the specs and preformance ratings, the Fw-190 D-9 was a better fighter hands down. The only edge the Mustang had was its longer range. The affectiveness was not very useful during the final, desperate months of the war, when the Luftwaffe was hampered by the lack of skilled pilots and fuel shortages. The Dora was more widely produced than the Me-262, so my vote goes to the Fw-190D-9 as the best fighter that could beat a P-51D and Spit MK.XIV in WWII. The best "hit and run" aircraft was the Me-262 by far.

If you guys ask a P-47 pilot what his favorite was he'll tell you a P-47.
If you ask a P-51 pilot what was his favorite aircraft was, he'll tell you a P-51.
If you ask a Brit pilot of a Spit what his favorite was... he'd say it was a Spit.
Ask a German Pilot of a Me or Bf-109 was... he'll tell you the Me-262 or Dora. Walter Schuck swears by the Me-262 s being the best of the best for taking out bombers and all "Hit and Runs."
Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

you guys are all clowns, if the Brits wouldn't of had the Spitfire, hands own the would win the "bring the ugly plane to the fight party." The Mustang wasn't built to British specs , they were looking for another P40...American Specs. Something that should be noticed is that the Brits are climbing up the chart for the best fighters.......America and Germany are loosing ground.

The British are Coming, the British are Coming, the British are Coming!!!! Turn on the Lantern!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
skull1971

Hey you leave my wife out of this!!! Shade in the summer,, warmth in the winter
The buffalo was used in combat in WWII, BUT it was of the PRE-WAR era, and a known turd. I'd have to say that was a "Brother-in-law deal" for planes in the 1930's. If I had to choose between a flying a buffalo, or shoot myself in the foot. I'd take the shot in the foot, at least I'd live to hop away.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Evil_Merlin

The Fins used the Buffalos to VERY good effect in the Continuation War.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: skull1971

Hey you leave my wife out of this!!! Shade in the summer,, warmth in the winter
The buffalo was used in combat in WWII, BUT it was of the PRE-WAR era, and a known turd. I'd have to say that was a "Brother-in-law deal" for planes in the 1930's. If I had to choose between a flying a buffalo, or shoot myself in the foot. I'd take the shot in the foot, at least I'd live to hop away.

I'd fly a Brewster Buffalo... since there's no one around to shoot at me.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 PM
skull1971

Must have been flying against kites!
What is the Continuation War? I don't remember it at all.

Like I said, in combat,,, and I have a BB gun, so watch out!!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
GIR8

Its true enough as we are all patriotic to our own countries of course we are going to say the best is onw from our own country.

But here is a parting shot for tonight a bit of track but here goes concorde the most beautiful passenger Jet ever built and the US had nothing to do with it the eurofighter as the best modern fighter UK Italy Spain Germany OH yet again no US input.

Then some idiot decides they have had enough of the harrier and decide to go with the F35 which can't actually take of vertically and is far to heavy for our current carriers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.