Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Owners of Flair/GSP Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Owners of Flair/GSP Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 10:39 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owners of Flair/GSP Corsair

Hi Guys,

I have just bought the Flair Corsair 75" which is the same as the GSP version.

I am interested to find out any problems/suggestions from current/past owners of this plane.

What engines have you fitted, I am going to fit a ST2000 for plenty of grunt and big prop swinging.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Slug

Hi,

I have the Flair kit also.

I was disappointed that the colour scheme was the same as the GSP version and not the dark blue scheme shown on the Flair web site. I emailed Flair and basically they said 'tough'. I notice last time I looked they were still showing wrong scheme, so maybe it's time for a note to the Advertising Standards Authority.

There is an in depth report of the GSP kit on this forum, try a search.

Kit goes together basically ok.

No drama with the wings, (the colours on mine matched ok, unlike the review model). I used one high power servo for the flaps as per kit instructions, this seems to work ok, but do 'tin' the cables as instructed. I installed Robart twist and turn units (615's I think) and oleo legs. I read reports of these being very weak and easily damaged but so far I have flown over a dozen flights from grass with no problems what so ever. Joining the outer sections is a bit of a pain because it is difficult to do without getting glue on the surface. I managed to dislodge the internal mountings in the wings for the wing dowels by trying to force the dowels into a hole that was a bit tight, I had to cut a hatch in the wing top/front surface to re attach this piece.

The fus is ok, but the instructions on positioning the engine mounts and, more especially, the cowling mounting ring are not clear. I ended up mounting the cowl with an even gap all the way. I installed the cowl ring and then cut away sections between the screw points to let out more cooling air before refitting the cowl.

Be careful using tape on the painted surface, I used masking tape to secure the radiator inserts on the wing leading edge while the glue set, when I took off the tape large chunks of paint came with it!

I am using an SC1.20 4-stroke with a 16 x 6 prop, which I am finding is perfect for this model, not too fast but enough grunt for large loops, sounds good too.

I hated the matt paint finish which scuffs and marks as soon as you look at it. After I applied the markings I cut away the clear parts of the transfers then sprayed the model with a two part satin fuel proofer to give a constant sheen to the surface, this does not oil stain like the matt finish and so looks better long term.

I set the CG at the forward limit shown which needed some lead up front to achieve. The Corsair flys really well, nice and smooth.

If get any questions during the build, give me a shout.

Simon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84001_22608.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	49237  
Old 06-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for your comments Simon, much appreciated.

I agree about the matt finish, I have planned to give it a coat of tufcote when I'm finished.

I am thinking also about making the tips removable for transport and storage, I have done a similar conversion before and it worked well.
I am going to epoxy a bolt into the tip and fit a wing nut inside the wheel well which I will have to make removable.

Would like also to cut the canopy and make it slide back, has anybody tried/done this.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Francis L M

Hi slug

I have the same flair corsair setup as you but I fitted an RCV90 with a 16.5X14 three bladed. I have still to run in the motor and fly it. What does yours weigh and any thing to lookout for when flying for the first flight.

thanks flm
Old 09-02-2003, 01:59 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Default GSP CORSAIR

Howdy gang, I have my GSP Corsair set-up w/ an OS 1.08 and a 16X6 prop...it moves fast! Using CJM Retracts,,I repainted the plane w/ Chevron Perfect Paints (polyurethane) and used vinyl and water transfer decals for the markings...I went w/ the VF-17 Jolly Roger Scheme and I think it came out well...THe pilot is from GSP I had to drop the floor down 1" and went ahead and made a instrument panel, gunsight and throttle quadrant for him...All up weight is approx 13# Floats in nicely....Flaps are effective./..Only complaint is the inner wing gets soft in the heat/direct sun...Be careful...keep it out of direct sunrays unless you want it to warp...I keep mine covered w a white sheet when not flying on hot days at the airfield....Go below to the gallery and see pics of 2 GSP CORSAIRS...My wingman and I built 2!!!