Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Doss Stead P-51 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE:Steed Drawings on eBay

Hi again, DBachus! When I was dealing with Doss, about 15 years ago, he was just ahead of his time! Prices were just too high, even tho' for a superb product! Today, the price would be "ho-hum". It's sad, but a fact of life. Our hobby has become verrry expensive. My first engine was a 1940 Dennymite (I still have one!!) that my Dad paid a whopping $6.95 for! Went into a Comet Clipper!, whose price I can't remember. Lee Robinson W. Palm Bch
Old 07-05-2004, 09:42 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Well, we do have the street address that Joe posted last week. I will be writing him today, to ask what his current situation is in regards to this design. In any case, as I said as long as he's alive we have the responsibility to respect his copyright. By the way, by law copyrights exist by the mere publication of a printed document; you don't need to "register" with anyone. I thnk people are more willing to ignore copyrights when the original holder is gone and no one has expressed interest in the document for some time.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:44 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck, Rick!

Maybe you'll have better success than the rest of us have had.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:31 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Rick:

let us all know if you are successful in contacting Doss. I posted his address that i received from Jim Cline so that those interested could contact Doss to purchase what ever it is he will sell.

I would like to purchase a complete set of his plans, so if you are successful in getting a response back, let us know.

cheers

joe

and yes, i would be working on a series of bigger scale P-51 props and drive units to power this plane.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:00 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Hey Joe, I know you have plans for larger aircraft, especially the P-51 but are you going to make any 3 blade props without spinners? I have an 82" Corsair (blown up 1/8 Royal plan) I'm going to build, it's cowl is 9 3/4 in back and almost 8" deep to the firewall. This would be similar to the Brian Taylor in size. Scale prop would be 26 1/2". The dimensions on your site do not show the dimensions from the propeller shaft to the top of the engine? Keeping everything in the cowl is of the utmost importance, as it is with you from what I have read of your work. I'm building several of these planes, so anytime in the distant future would work too!

Thanks,

Dion
Old 07-20-2004, 11:35 AM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

I just shipped my motor to DA for a checkup. when it comes back, i'll measure the distance and let you know, and put it on the website.

might have to do those props in wood.

i'll get back to you

cheers

joe
Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 AM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

Default DOSS STEED PLANS

A couple of points here...

1. It is against the law to SELL copyrighted material without owning the rights or having permission to do so from the original author, dead-gum-it... It's just morally wrong! YOUR STEALING!

Now I'm NOT talking about sharing a sheet of a set of plans that someone is missing, but SELLING them for profit. I have see TWO references to folks SELLING his plans in this thread. Trust me, they will be contacted. Doss is a personal friend and I take offense to this after to all the hard work he has put in to these plans.

2. I understand that people want to get their hands on a set so my company is currently working a deal with Doss to start offering his P-51D in 1/5 & 1/4 scale with full accessories and fiberglass fuses. You guys hit the nail on the head about the scale quality of his plans. I have been looking over a set for the last couple of evening and they are TRULY incredable.

As soon as we have all the details hashed out I'll certainly let you guys know.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 AM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Re: gear drawings

Mike, put me on the list for a set. I believe there are two sets, no?

Throw out a price when you can so I can see whether I need a new paper route to help finance their purchase!!

anyway, whatever they are I'll take a set!

Regards,

Mark
Old 08-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Connery

Default RE: DOSS STEED PLANS

Your posting needs a little more information to be accurate.

If I bought a set of plans, and decided to sell them that is NOT stealing copyrighted material and is perfectly legal. The only thing that is NOT legal is if I had a set of plans and made COPIES of them to GIVE AWAY OR SELL. I can make as many copies I want for my own personal use, but I cannot make copies for profit or distribution.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:04 PM
kram51

How about we concentrate on the fact that these plans will once again be available, in their entirety and in two different scales! No flames intended or desired, just looking at the up side. There has been sufficient interest to entice a company to bring the plans and accessories back on the market. THAT IS GOOD NEWS!!!

The question about selling plans should become a non issue, except for the one or two that may have tried to profit from it.

Mark
Old 08-17-2004, 12:19 PM
MikeChilson

Connery,

The folks who I was talking about know who they are. You are correct about owning a set and not selling them from profit. I ASSUMED we all understood that. My bad for assuming.

If you read my sentence:

"Now I'm NOT talking about sharing a sheet of a set of plans that someone is missing, BUT SELLING THEM FOR PROFIT"

I though I had clarified that point.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 01:25 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

hehehehe with an evil grin
Old 08-17-2004, 02:15 PM
juvatwad

Even though it's a bit off topic, I think the point about selling an original set of plans should be clarified. It IS NOT a copyright violation to sell an original set of plans to anyone at any price. Once the copyright owner sells a copy of the item in question, he exhausts his rights to the control of that particular copy ("first sale doctrine" ). The buyer can turn around and sell it (the original purchased item) to whomever he wants at whatever price he seeks. He can't make derivative copies of the original and then sell those, however. This is fact, so everyone should lay off those who offer to sell plans for which they no longer have use.

There isn't anything illegal or immoral about it.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:22 PM
MikeChilson

juvatwad,

Did you actually read any of the post right above yours? []

The folks who I was talking about know who they are. You are correct about owning a set and not selling them from profit. I ASSUMED we all understood that. My bad for assuming.

If you read my sentence:

!QUOT!Now I'm NOT talking about sharing a sheet of a set of plans that someone is missing, BUT SELLING THEM FOR PROFIT!QUOT!

I though I had clarified that point.
Please tell me where I or anyone else said ANYTHING about folks selling their own ORIGINAL copies? My original post was aimed at the individuals earlier in this thread that were selling a paper or scanned copy of THEIR originals.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 02:23 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Mike,
If you are keeping a list of people interested in buying plan sets, put me on it. I would definitely buy a set of 1/5 plans and probably would buy some accessories
Old 08-17-2004, 02:29 PM
MikeChilson

ORIGINAL: JL1

Mike,
If you are keeping a list of people interested in buying plan sets, put me on it. I would definitely buy a set of 1/5 plans and probably would buy some accessories
Thanks, I'll be posting the details when they are available.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:30 PM
juvatwad

Default RE: DOSS STEED PLANS

OK Mike, Show me where you refer to copies. It looks as if you need to read your own posts more carefully before you start piping off.

Ian

ORIGINAL: MikeChilson

A couple of points here...

1. It is against the law to SELL copyrighted material without owning the rights or having permission to do so from the original author, dead-gum-it... It's just morally wrong! YOUR STEALING!

Now I'm NOT talking about sharing a sheet of a set of plans that someone is missing, but SELLING them for profit. I have see TWO references to folks SELLING his plans in this thread. Trust me, they will be contacted. Doss is a personal friend and I take offense to this after to all the hard work he has put in to these plans.

2. I understand that people want to get their hands on a set so my company is currently working a deal with Doss to start offering his P-51D in 1/5 & 1/4 scale with full accessories and fiberglass fuses. You guys hit the nail on the head about the scale quality of his plans. I have been looking over a set for the last couple of evening and they are TRULY incredable.

As soon as we have all the details hashed out I'll certainly let you guys know.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:36 PM
MikeChilson

It was not in my original post, it was in my second post, (which was well before your post) below it. I admitted that I made an assumption and that was wrong. But if you read the second post and I quote:

"The folks who I was talking about know who they are. You are correct about owning a set and not selling them from profit. I ASSUMED we all understood that. My bad for assuming."

That is what I was referring to. Anyway, no need to get defensive about it... Sorry I pressed that button..

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-17-2004, 09:25 PM
juvatwad

Cool, Mike....
Old 08-17-2004, 10:13 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

OK, Mike, since I've done my usual procrastination routine and not even gotten the letter out to Doss... [sm=disappointed.gif]

Since you are currently negotiating with Doss, I assume I would be wasting my time trying to contact him. But if you are actually talking to him (and he's not just a rumor ), and you have a set of the plans from him, you must be able to answer the burning questions that have been haunting this thread for over a year... so PLEASE, tell us: How many drawings constitute a set, and what are they specifically? Pretty PLEASE???
Old 08-17-2004, 11:06 PM
F106A

Hi everyone,
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the P-51 plans. I've been tracking Doss off and on for years, including contacting his "friends" and people that supposedly can get in contact with him and all it's ever resulted in was one dead end after another. The closest I got was last year when I tried to call him and he had just moved.
As I said before, I'm sure he knows of this thread either through friends or first hand and he has never contacted anyone or posted anything that I know about. I would think, with all the demand that seems to be out there, he could print copies from his masters very easily and make some bucks in the process if he wanted to.
I have a complete set that I got from Bob Holman many years ago, just have to decide if I want to build another Mustang.
BRG,
Jon
Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 PM
kram51

Tell you what then. You go and keep looking. I'll wait on Mike to deliver . . .

Meet you at the finish line. . .

Mark
Old 08-17-2004, 11:17 PM
t_burley

ORIGINAL: F106A

Hi everyone,
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the P-51 plans. I've been tracking Doss off and on for years, including contacting his "friends" and people that supposedly can get in contact with him and all it's ever resulted in was one dead end after another. The closest I got was last year when I tried to call him and he had just moved.
As I said before, I'm sure he knows of this thread either through friends or first hand and he has never contacted anyone or posted anything that I know about. I would think, with all the demand that seems to be out there, he could print copies from his masters very easily and make some bucks in the process if he wanted to.
I have a complete set that I got from Bob Holman many years ago, just have to decide if I want to build another Mustang.
BRG,
Jon

wow, that helps. what makes YOU think this isnt real? I know you are not saying its real, but telling everyone to hold their breath?

hmm, maybe because you couldnt track down Doss, doesnt mean what Mike has spoke about here is real? I know this is true. Mike and I spealk every day. this has been something that he has been working on for SOME time.

Doss is ready to get his product out again, and Mike is the one to GET it out. thats it, thats all, nothing between the lines here.

he is going to be supplying the planes, parts, wood, and gear, with Doss's approval to sell his stuff. Mike is marketing Doss's stuff. what more to this cant you see?

just wait and see, it is in progress. when it is all ready, plans, parts, gear etc will be all available. Mike posted this to let people know that Doss' stuff is soon to be available. but I guess until you actually see it, it doesnt really exist.

I cant understand why this seems to be not real, or need to "hold ones breath"? Mike has made contact with Doss, Doss is having him market, and sell his stuff, nuff said.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:18 PM
t_burley

ORIGINAL: kram51

Tell you what then. You go and keep looking. I'll wait on Mike to deliver . . .

Meet you at the finish line. . .

Mark

LMAO Mark, I am first in line buddy, so take yer number oh but wait, I am almost out of breath
Old 08-17-2004, 11:26 PM
kram51

no wait, I'm first!!! Can't . . . .hold. . . .breath . . . much. . . longer . . .[&:]

Mike will come thru. If you don't believe it then, well, I'll let you watch mine fly. . .

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.