Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Earhole51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

erans,

Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on the "oil spill" in the cowl? Doesn't sound good.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 AM
tclaridge

tjmcabs, do you know your AUW?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Earhole51

erans,

Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on the "oil spill" in the cowl? Doesn't sound good.

The oil is coming out of the carburettor breather hole and is thick and black like ink. it is then run all over the firewall and anything in the engine bay. In my P-51 it went over the fuel tank pipes into the fuel tank bay and soaked the un-treated walls there.
See my comments and video on page 64 where you can see the problem.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 04-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

I have quite a few Saito's including 2-1.25's. In my experience with them they will all puke oil out of the carb if not tuned properly, especially when they are inverted slightly. To see that much oil coming from the carb makes me think it was still a little rich. When I get mine tuned properly, usually after break in is complete, they drip very little. I watched your video and it did seem quite rich still in the video. Now I have used a filter setup like you would find on an off-road nitro vehicle and adapted it to fit over the venture. This works quite well particularly during break in as it will catch almost all the oil. You just have to get in there and clean it after each outing or it will start to restrict airflow. None the less I hate to see these birds going down at such a high mortality rate. No matter how many of these things they sell, they would sell 100's more if they would address a little quality control.

Shane
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shane,
What I would like to see from Hangar 9 on this Blue Nose P-51 is a ARF that you have to cover. This way I can see how the stress points are put together and beef them up. Just this past weekend, I maiden my Top Flite P-51 and on a beautiful soft landing, both gear was rip out. There was no glue on the retract rails at all!!! Maybe the USA company that make Gorilla Wood glue and now they make 5 minutes epoxy, make a deal with Hangar 9 and Top Flite to have the company who put their ARF together, use this stuff. I would love to have another Blue Nose P-51, but I know what I must do to be happy with this bird!!
Just my 2 cents as always!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 PM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

I have quite a few Saito's including 2-1.25's. In my experience with them they will all puke oil out of the carb if not tuned properly, especially when they are inverted slightly. To see that much oil coming from the carb makes me think it was still a little rich. When I get mine tuned properly, usually after break in is complete, they drip very little. I watched your video and it did seem quite rich still in the video. Now I have used a filter setup like you would find on an off-road nitro vehicle and adapted it to fit over the venture. This works quite well particularly during break in as it will catch almost all the oil. You just have to get in there and clean it after each outing or it will start to restrict airflow. None the less I hate to see these birds going down at such a high mortality rate. No matter how many of these things they sell, they would sell 100's more if they would address a little quality control.

Shane
Shane

The video was taken during break-in and it is very possible that the engine was a bit too rich.
I did liked this engine so much that I actually bothered repairing it after the massive crash (which is not smart financially as I could get new 2 stroke petrol engine for less) and I hope to test run it soon and find a new aeroplane for it.

Eran

Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 PM
locharrow

I just read some of you guys issues with the Bluenose. Had most of them myself unfortunately. First flight took off great, straight as an arrow, slight climb, flew her gently for ten minutes testing stall with/without flaps. Lined her up for landing on 1/2 flap..no sign of any problems till I started to flair about 3ft off. The plane just dropped straight down and put both l/gear thru the top of the wings. I thought too small el/throw?? So I increased it a bit. Second flight much the same ..testing for high speed stalls on full el. and h/g banking turns .......my CMPRO Extra flips like a pancake without warning but no sign of anything with the Bluenose. Brought it in for landing as gentle as poss and watched it real close as I again flaired about a couple of feet off and right in front of me. Same thing happened again, but only one gear came thru the wing, Fixed it up and made my mind up to shift the CG by putting the b/pack further back and a couple of oz of lead inside the rear wheel. Third flight went like a dream, on landing I could see the oleos bounce a tiny wee bit, enough for realism......... and rolled it right up to my feet.

Great sorted...... fourth flight.... wanted to start thowing it about a bit but decided to calm down and do a few circuits first. Second time around in a banking turn, 2/3 throttle on the OS 120fs. it just flipped on its back and spiraled into the deck. I was sick .. no idea what happened ...convinced it was radio but never had any problems with my Spektrum before. Well this plane looks sooooooo great in the air and makes my other 60 H 9 Mustang look like a model so its START AGAIN.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: locharrow

it just flipped on its back and spiraled into the deck. I was sick .. no idea what happened ...

Sorry to hear about your crash, but I must welcome you to the Blue Nose club, I warned about the stall on this plane, it will fall out of the sky for no reason. I've been flying mine for months now with many flights, but I worry every time I have it in the air. Mine will flip on it's back and spiral in on the back side of loops, I just fly it around in circles, I don't do any aerobatic maneuvers anymore. Every time mine snapped and spun to the ground, I just had enough altitude to recover, one time my plane actually skimmed the grass.

If you pulled to hard in the turn it will snap, I obviously did not witness your flight, but I have lots of experience with this plane, I will be flying mine again tomorrow! I fly very shallow turns and I never yank it around, it's good for low passes only, but they do look great. I never land with anything less than full flaps and I keep the power on. I'm going to retire mine permanently very soon, I have a TF I am finishing up, they fly so much better, no comparison.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM
oldtimer4759

hi, sorry to hear of your loss, I had one of these a while back, similar set up, mine died because the throttle linkage came apart, nothing to do with the kit,
I did like flying it, I liked the way it flew, I had read through this forum and was ready for a few things, it took off nicely, got it trimmed, flew around for a while then took it up high and did a stall test, several of them with different set ups, then into the high power turns, mine did the same, flipped over onto its back, but I was up high, so I caught it in time, I reduced the elevator throws and tried it again, I could go full stick this time, the model was jumping a bit so it was close to a stall, flying upside down didnt need very much down elev, so the CofG was close to being on the tail heavy side.
after I landed it I found I was down to about 10mm up travel on the elevators, that is all it needed, I had another 4 flights with mine before it died, that was only because there was another noisy model up in the air and I was just coming out of a turn towards myself when the engine went back to idle, even then I would have been right except for those damn Tree Magnets, nearly cleared one.
go for an ESM kit, bit bigger, heavier, more $$$ ignore the CofG they say, but they fly nice. I have the P-47 and in the process of building the P-51B.
Oldtimer.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:41 AM
locharrow

Hi guys,

Thanks for the consolation!!!!!!!!! We all need it sometime.

I just can't believe H9 could make great fliers, like the 65" Mustangs Miss America and Marie, which will fly inside out without any sign of trouble, then deliver up a beauty that is thought to be so touchy. I still think mine died on radio as I had been thru exactly the same manouvre on the previous three flights two or thee times. Anyway, just have to give it another go. Meanwhile, I just finished a TF Spitfire that I will need valium to maiden!!!!!!!!1
Old 05-07-2011, 02:49 AM
dionysusbacchus

I was completely unaware of this spin tendency for a while, I must have been flying just outside the snap envelope without knowing it. Wind direction, control input and speed all play a part, but it wasn't long before I learned. I feel like I'm yelling in the wilderness, but like I said I flew a Top Flite P-51 for 10 years, it must have had thousands of flights because I flew the heck out of it every weekend I could. I know how a plane should fly, there is no way you can fly this thing for 4 flights and know how it flies, I must have had 20 lucky flights before it schooled me.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM
locharrow

I appreciate what your saying but on the previous three flights I had this plane stalling nose over without any tendency to drop a wing. Also, on flair it dropped straight , not flick rolling in. I'm absolutely bamboozelled. I got two bairns,( 34 and 28 ) both with university degrees in aeronautics but they don't know one end of a plane from another so I have to rely on fellow modellers for explanations!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Pit-Viper 1

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM
flemsus

Where did you end up with the CG?

Flemming
Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

Really enjoyed the simple fix to the tailwheel. After digging around in my junk pile, I found a neat little low profile fix. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27225.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1643961  
Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 AM
kiwibob72

Been looking at this blue nose P51 on and off for quite some time now, and last week my wife picked up one from a LHS while we were out of town on holiday (it's for a milestone B/day in Jan).
I will be looking to run a DLE20 gasser in this plane, as while it looks tight, everything other than the sparkplug tip should fit within the cowl keeping the clean look I want. This motor should offer great on tap power when needed, and longer running times and cheaper flights vs going the nitro path.
The only thing I'll be considering doing to it other than ensuring everything is glued together correctly, is seeing IF i can get rid of the landing gear leaver and link and installing better ones with a ball link off the servo arm, as I did notice there didn't need to be too much slop to disengage the LG from locked, and think a ball link will offer the security I want by removing any risk of slop being added into that system during landing (we fly on a well prepared grass field, but its still grass after all said and done, and will never be as smooth as concrete).
Still, looking forward to this plane being ready, even if it is a 6 mth project - least it gives me time to secure all other items I want for it first (servos, receiver, gas lines and tank bung etc)
Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 AM
2Brave
My Feedback: (28)

I don't want to jump on the band wagon cause I'm usually the one to go against the grain an make the nay sayers wrong. But with this plane, I have to agree with all the negatives in this post. Not here to say that H9 really dropped the ball on this plane but, if you do happen to buy this model, please read this entire thread before you decide to fly it. I'm just really surprised at the entire quality of what is allowed to be released from a major company an how distant they are from their product.....
Old 08-13-2011, 05:13 PM
kiwibob72

Yeah, I'll be reading this thread in even more detail than I have already done closer to the time, taking all into account re the issues folk have had, but still will be looking to fly mine regardless, as I brought it, I own it (once I get it properly on my birthday in January) so I might as well fly it once it's ready to be flown - as I cannot reasonably sell it to someone with these fears in mind (as in all fairness, the main issues folk refer to re it's flying traits, sound really akin to that of the real aircraft this is based on, as in it actually flies like a real mustang - the guy in this video describes his real plane in the same manner re the ability to "flip on her back" etc - [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd5cg77mA48&feature=feedu[/link]).
So I'll be treating it as a "glass half full" situation, taking my time, and doing my best to get the most out of this aircraft as others have actually done, and if i ding it, I'll use what is left to do a scratch build using a set of plans that I already have available. Well either that or buy the Top Flight P47 60 size 'Razorback' kit! (it's my favorite WW2 warbird) and just stick the retracts, motor etc into that airframe.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Pit-Viper 1

You are definitely right as far as this flies more like the real thing. I maddened one for a fella last fall and it would no doubt flip over if given half a chance. I flew it like I stole it, in doing so I took away the chance of being to cautious and getting into trouble. During landing I never went below 1/4 throttle with minimal flaps maybe 10% with no head wind. This was using a Saito 1.25 so 1/4 throttle was more than enough actually a little hotter approach than necessary.

One thing I found is that I like to loosen up with my favorite plane a bit before I maiden as it seems to calm the nerves alot. Then the first flight is 5 min. then land a check everything over real good.

Good luck on your maiden..
Old 08-13-2011, 11:11 PM
kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

You are definitely right as far as this flies more like the real thing. ................. I flew it like I stole it, in doing so I took away the chance of being to cautious and getting into trouble. .............. This was using a Saito 1.25 so 1/4 throttle was more than enough actually a little hotter approach than necessary.
The more I read, the more I think I'll be right with my motor choice being a DLE20 gasser, as from your and others comments, it seams like this thing likes to be flown on the harder side of 'scale speed', which with a 2.5hp motor and a big old prop should not be an issue!
Maiden won't be for quite some time, odds on around Feb. next year as I can't start on it until my birthday ...... [:@]
Old 08-18-2011, 11:15 PM
kiwibob72

I posted this query elsewhere and got no reply ... hope I get better feedback here:
"I'm kinda curious, as after (quickly) skimming through the instruction manual, and not finding it, I'm wondering if any of you had a wooden locking hook on one of the wings for what looks like hooking the radiator 'scoop' in place under the wing joint line ........ as on mine there is even a notch inside at the front of the radiator where it looks like the hook goes, as well as magnets at the rear to hold it up against the fuse - almost like it's designed to negate the use of screws to lock the radiator assembly to the bottom of the wing, despite the instructions clearly showing the use of said screws.
Got me a little curious really.
"
Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 PM
clmooring

I am interested in how this plane would fly with a 2 stroke os 75ax. Does anyone know what the relative power out put of the 75ax is compared to a 1.20 4 stroke such as the fa-125?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 PM
clmooring

Well Google is a wonderful thing. It looks like the OS 75ax wins at 2.4 vs 2.2 for the FS 1.25.

What I cant find via google is whether the 75ax can be installed inside the cowling without the muffler exposed. would a pitts muffler work internal?

I appreciate any feedback.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: clmooring

Well Google is a wonderful thing. It looks like the OS 75ax wins at 2.4 vs 2.2 for the FS 1.25.

What I cant find via google is whether the 75ax can be installed inside the cowling without the muffler exposed. would a pitts muffler work internal?

I appreciate any feedback.

I fly mine on the OS .75, flies it pretty well. I use the Top Flite in cowl muffler, although I did cut a larger than normal hole in the bottom of the cowl. I will be ordering a new cowl anyway, so that I can make the air exit smaller.

I guess I put to much work into these things, you may not want to do what I did, but you will not be able to invert the engine with the stock firewall set up. I had to lower the fuel tank quite a bit, actually cutting a notch in the servo tray to get it low enough.

I have hundreds of flights on my and have been flying it for a year now. I flew it 10 times just this weekend!

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are some:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70605.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1666655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34229.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1666656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62397.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1666657   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55544.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1666658  
Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Pit-Viper 1

ORIGINAL: clmooring

I am interested in how this plane would fly with a 2 stroke os 75ax. Does anyone know what the relative power out put of the 75ax is compared to a 1.20 4 stroke such as the fa-125?
If you are comparing the. 75AX to the Saito 1.25, power output is higher on the OS on paper but the Saito 1.25 is by far more powerful. I am a huge fan of both motors and fly both on a regular basis. In my Venture 60 the 1.25 had unlimited vertical at just a tad over 1/2 throttle and with the .75 it will climb about 200 feet before it falls. The torque the 1.25 produces is almost unrivaled by other 4 stroke in the same size category. Unless you run one you wont understand.

Like I said, I own, fly and love both motors. The. 75 is very docile and good on fuel while the 1.25 is more aggressive and has enough low end grunt to get you out of trouble if you find yourself in a pinch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.