Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ANZAC Day - Lest we forget

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ANZAC Day - Lest we forget

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ANZAC Day - Lest we forget

Lest we forget

What is ANZAC Day?
ANZAC Day – 25 April – is probably Australia's most important national occasion. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The soldiers in those forces quickly became known as ANZACs, and the pride they soon took in that name endures to this day.

The Australian Soldiers were also more commonly known as "Diggers"

Why is this day special to Australians?
When war broke out in 1914 Australia had been a federal commonwealth for only 14 years. The new national government was eager to establish its reputation among the nations of the world. In 1915 Australian and New Zealand soldiers formed part of the allied expedition that set out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula to open the way to the Black Sea for the allied navies. The plan was to capture Constantinople (now Istanbul), the capital of the Ottoman Empire and an ally of Germany. They landed at Gallipoli on 25 April, meeting fierce resistance from the Turkish defenders. What had been planned as a bold stroke to knock Turkey out of the war quickly became a stalemate, and the campaign dragged on for eight months. At the end of 1915 the allied forces were evacuated after both sides had suffered heavy casualties and endured great hardships. Over 8,000 Australian soldiers were killed. News of the landing at Gallipoli made a profound impact on Australians at home and 25 April quickly became the day on which Australians remembered the sacrifice of those who had died in war.

Although the Gallipoli campaign failed in its military objectives of capturing Constantinople and knocking Turkey out of the war, the Australian and New Zealand actions during the campaign bequeathed an intangible but powerful legacy. The creation of what became known as the "ANZAC legend" became an important part of the national identity of both nations. This shaped the ways they viewed both their past and future.

So raise a glass today and salute the ANZACS and the diggers who never came home no mater what the war. Cheers guys, rest in peace.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56624.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1186597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90487.gif
Views:	13
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1186598  
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ANZAC Day - Lest we forget

You should cite your reference.

Plagerism is never appreciated, no matter what the circumstance... no matter how (seemingly) innocent.

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/..._tradition.asp
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

it is cut and paste that explains what ANZAC day is you ignoramus.

How dare you insult our day of rememberance. You are a first class arrogant fool!!

Did I state I wrote that? MORON!
Old 04-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Asanders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: butlern

Plagerism is never appreciated, no matter what the circumstance... no matter how (seemingly) innocent.

you know I have about had it this website, this one takes the cake. For the most part I just shake my head in disbelief. Peter, I had no idea what Anzac Day was until I served with the ADF back when I almost got to meet you. One of the Aussies had a DVD on that campaign. I had no clue what your country men and the New Zealanders had gone through. It was a brutal movie to watch . I dont remember the name of it but I am sure you have seen it. My hat's off and a hearty salute to your brave soldiers and families that suffered so greatly from that era up to the present.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gday there mate, thanks for that on behalf of our diggers, I'm sure all who have served in some way respect what all fighting men and women have gone through both here and with all forces.

Galipolli was a brutal campaign, who anybody made it out of that meat grinder amazes me.

all the best mate
cheers
Peter
Old 04-25-2009, 04:19 AM
JEFFHINES73

ORIGINAL: butlern

Fools like this make it hard for us americans living overseas .

God bless the men and women who gave somuch for us to be free

Old 04-25-2009, 04:27 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Grab a Foster's & listen to Eric Bogle's "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda". Great song. Never fails to bring a tear.

papermache
Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Brad330l

OK Guys,, lets cool it down on this solome day between nations.
In defence of butlern, he in no way disrespected our diggers or ANZAC's in any way. Just read again what he actually said. He was having a go at Peter for posting something that was clearly writen and posted on the Australian War Momorial web site and he (Peter)didnt give any reference to its author. That is all. Pete you are a top bloke but you should know what he was trying to say and I think you should appologise.

Let them all rest in peace and maybe this thread too.

Respect to all,

Brad
Old 04-25-2009, 04:42 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

dont think so, the pompous twit should mind his business. This isnt some Uni essay with postscripted references required. My post was to show our cousins over the pond the history of the ANZACS. To have some parking meter ticket writer comment in such a manner is very insulting to me. So Brad will have to dissagree with you mate on this one.

to the others thanks for your kind words but a Fosters? Really have you tasted one yuk

Prefer a cold corona any day or a hahn ice
Old 04-25-2009, 04:47 AM
Kiwi-al

Cheers from the Kiwi's to our Aussie mates over the ditch. Lest We Forget.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

kiaora mate all the best. You guys led the parade today in Brisbane and did yourselves proud.

cheers
Peter
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 AM
aerowoof

Hi,
learned something today,I have heard of ANSAC but did not know what it stood for,was not in the U.S world history books when I wa in high school 40 years ago.pardon my ignorance bu am not sure what the proper salutation is for this day,God Bless.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not to be insulting but another problem is it's only a vaguely relevant post. it's obvious that this is important over there but .... what about posting this event on a war forum. those sites have people with tens of thousands of posts (some have over a 100,000 posts). most certainly there would be a lot of passionate discussion available there.

i'm sure an american holiday doesn't have a lot of interest over there, again not to be insulting, but am i right?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

Hi,
learned something today,I have heard of ANSAC but did not know what it stood for,was not in the U.S world history books when I wa in high school 40 years ago.pardon my ignorance bu am not sure what the proper salutation is for this day,God Bless.

thanks mate
it is : LEST WE FORGET

cheers
PEter
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: dhal22

not to be insulting but another problem is it's only a vaguely relevant post. it's obvious that this is important over there but .... what about posting this event on a war forum. those sites have people with tens of thousands of posts (some have over a 100,000 posts). most certainly there would be a lot of passionate discussion available there.

i'm sure an american holiday doesn't have a lot of interest over there, again not to be insulting, but am i right?

no your not right and yes you are insulting. I wonder how you would feel if I said that about Memorial day etc etc?

Lots of guys here post on the significant days such as Memorial Day, why should ours be excluded?

You need to show some respect mate
Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Lest we forget

What is ANZAC Day?
ANZAC Day – 25 April – is probably Australia's most important national occasion. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The soldiers in those forces quickly became known as ANZACs, and the pride they soon took in that name endures to this day.

The Australian Soldiers were also more commonly known as "Diggers"

Why is this day special to Australians?
When war broke out in 1914 Australia had been a federal commonwealth for only 14 years. The new national government was eager to establish its reputation among the nations of the world. In 1915 Australian and New Zealand soldiers formed part of the allied expedition that set out to capture the Gallipoli peninsula to open the way to the Black Sea for the allied navies. The plan was to capture Constantinople (now Istanbul), the capital of the Ottoman Empire and an ally of Germany. They landed at Gallipoli on 25 April, meeting fierce resistance from the Turkish defenders. What had been planned as a bold stroke to knock Turkey out of the war quickly became a stalemate, and the campaign dragged on for eight months. At the end of 1915 the allied forces were evacuated after both sides had suffered heavy casualties and endured great hardships. Over 8,000 Australian soldiers were killed. News of the landing at Gallipoli made a profound impact on Australians at home and 25 April quickly became the day on which Australians remembered the sacrifice of those who had died in war.

Although the Gallipoli campaign failed in its military objectives of capturing Constantinople and knocking Turkey out of the war, the Australian and New Zealand actions during the campaign bequeathed an intangible but powerful legacy. The creation of what became known as the "ANZAC legend" became an important part of the national identity of both nations. This shaped the ways they viewed both their past and future.

So raise a glass today and salute the ANZACS and the diggers who never came home no mater what the war. Cheers guys, rest in peace.

Hello Peter_Oz. Good day Mate. And my God bless those that have fought for your country and paid the ultimate sacrifice. I have had the pleasure of training with your fellow Aussies in Hawaii. I never did get sent to Aussie to train with your guys. I was very disappointed. They were a great bunch of guys. I would have fought beside them anyday.

I never heard of ANZAC day until today. Thank you for the information. I will drink a beer for your "Diggers." And only one because I tried to challenge an Aussie during my most outstanding ability to drink military days. I would like to have considered myself a fish and man oh man did those guys destroy me and walk away like nothing happened. So not only great fighters but great drinkers.

And as far as any negativity put on here. They don't speak for the majority of us, I can assure you that. Aussies, have always been highly spoken of no matter where I have been in this world. Minus your enemies of course

Good day Mate and Happy Anzac Day.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

hdwideglide03

thanks mate, very gracious comments.

I thought it best to cut and past an extract that explains the legend of the ANZACS as while many may have heard of it few would understand the true roots of it.

Can attestt hat I do know of afew hard drinking types. Been known to have the odd one myself but was never a fish.

I think both our great countries will remain as "cousins" Common roots in many ways, common beliefs and values. As well as tragedies.

cheers
Peter

Old 04-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Merlin Man

Hi All,

Good on you Pete, for drawing everyones' attention to our ANZAC DAY.

Yes, we are very proud of our Anzac heritage.

And, of course we reflect with pride and honour on the mateship that was built with the many great nations we fort alongside.

Lest we forget.

Cheers,
Merlin Man.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Warbird Joe

hdwideglide03

thanks mate, very gracious comments.

I thought it best to cut and past an extract that explains the legend of the ANZACS as while many may have heard of it few would understand the true roots of it.

Can attestt hat I do know of afew hard drinking types. Been known to have the odd one myself but was never a fish.

I think both our great countries will remain as "cousins" Common roots in many ways, common beliefs and values. As well as tragedies.

cheers
Peter

You are very welcome Mate. I agree we do have common roots and beliefs. Again I salute you mate and your diggers. By the way. I like the way you guys talk. It cracks me up. The one guy I stayed with for 30 days was an absolute barrel of laughs.

By the way, great things didn't get spread by keeping quiet. Keep spreading the word. Good day Mate.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 04-25-2009, 08:22 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i see some posts were deleted.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yeah well when you come along in the manner you did that is what you get. Bye bye tosser.

Show some respect to the diggers and you may be shown to be a decent human being after all.

The point of the thread is to show respect to the Diggers, not for soime pompous ass to come strutting in here full of himself.

buzz off fool. [>:]

Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 AM
OZYRAY

yeah well when you come along in the manner you did that is what you get. Bye bye tosser.

Show some respect to the diggers and you may be shown to be a decent human being after all.

The point of the thread is to show respect to the Diggers, not for soime pompous ass to come strutting in here full of himself.

buzz off fool. [>:]

Hi,Pete.Good to here your comments there mate.Our familly lost two young DIGGERS .Thanks for your comments.Respect for those brave young fellows,lets not forget them. Regards Ray Peters
Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

thanks Ray and sorry for the loss in your family.

cheers
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Great to learn some History Pete , thanks for posting , its adds to ones cultural education to know the loss of others and remember all the lives lost for freedom and beliefs
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, there were several posts removed because they had nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Sometimes this becomes a necessary action if a member attempts to derail or disrupt a thread. The posts were removed in order for the thread to be able to continue. If members feel that there is a problem with a thread on RCU posting attacks in the thread is not the proper way to deal with the situation. If a member feels something is wrong with a thread they are encouraged to report that post/thread so that the moderator staff of RCU can deal with the problem. This is what the moderators are here for.

Hopefully this will answer any questions regarding this matter. If there are any further questions members can PM me directly and I will be more than happy to discuss the matter with them. But any further discussion of this matter here in this thread further distracts from this thread, therefore no more discussion in the open forum here will be needed.

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.