Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

30x16
Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Maxam

30x16

Tom,
a good recommendation.

On a 250, best 2-blade is around 32x18. Maybe a little bigger with finer pitch on a slow biplane.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Maxam

Detlef, I used a 32x18 on my 215 and I had to throttle back on a dive. On the same plane I switched to a 33 X16 and have better performance. It is a 37% Yak 55 SP weighing 32 pounds. Those SEP laminated props have good balance and performance. -Tom
Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 AM
wingstrut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those fellows that are using electric fuel pumps, what diameter fuel line are you using.
Thank you, Ron
Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 AM
heraldoboldrin

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will start flying with a Biela 32x18 on my 250. In Biela website said that is the right Prop for 250.
But I didn't check the RPM yet...
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
tony67
My Feedback: (51)

I would like to install a smoke system on my 215. What is the best way to tap and get equal amounts of smoke on both of my pipes.
1 nipple at the top
2 Two nipples just below the two top cylinders.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM
clarence_carlsson

Regarding prop sizes:

I have a Krill Models, Yak 55 37% with a Moki 250. I use the Turbulator and a fuel pump. 2% oil.

I have run 2 seasons with a 32x18 but discovered that it revs to high in flight (over 5.000 rpm). I switched to 32x22 and I like it. It now revs 4.600 at full throttle flying straight.

I think many are afraid of using high pitch, but I see these benefits: Not overrevving this precious engine, less noise, better IMAC performance! and better efficiency. I see many use to low pitch in my opinion.

just my 2 cents...

/Clarence

Old 06-11-2013, 12:17 PM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are using the radial engine for IMAC competition?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:26 PM
clarence_carlsson

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

You are using the radial engine for IMAC competition?
No. I used to compete earlier with CompARF Extra 2,6+DA100. The Yak+Moki was built later, but I still fly IMAC patterns. The performance is OK for Sportsman.

/Clarence

Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Maxam

I am using a 33x16 on my Yak 55SP weighing 32 pounds. What I have found is on the ground the prop loads the engine at 4400 rpm. When going at a high rate of speed or in a dive I of course throttle down. But going straight up the performance is extraordinary nearly out of sight. If I put a huge pitch prop on the engine, it is overloaded and cannot produce high HP in a climb and the performance suffers greatly. Discipline required!!! -Tom
Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

I use a single oil inlet at the top of the exhaust ring. The amount of smoke produced is extrodinary since there's of heat generated inside the pipe., Mitch
Old 06-12-2013, 03:48 AM
reyn3545

ORIGINAL: Maxam

I am using a 33x16 on my Yak 55SP weighing 32 pounds. What I have found is on the ground the prop loads the engine at 4400 rpm. When going at a high rate of speed or in a dive I of course throttle down. But going straight up the performance is extraordinary nearly out of sight. If I put a huge pitch prop on the engine, it is overloaded and cannot produce high HP in a climb and the performance suffers greatly. Discipline required!!! -Tom
Maxam - what model Yak are you flying that came in at 32 pounds? I have a 107" Pilot with a 150 that came in at about the same weight....since I knew the motor was going to change the whole weight management decision, I didn't worry too much about the weight,and I just tried to shift it back far enough to matter. The only weight that I wound up adding was 6 ounces inside the stab tube.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:33 AM
Maxam

Reyn, It is the Ohio Model Products 108" 55 SP. No weight was added. The rear structure of the fuselage allowed me to install a hatch and battery box at the very rear under the stab. The throttle and choke servos are next to the rudder servo. I was obsessive moving everything to the rear so no weight would be added. Frankly the plane seemed to be made for this engine. The canister tunnel is perfect to assist with cooling as well as the 44 louvers in the cowl.
-Tom
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM
heraldoboldrin

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the temperature that the moki 250 can get?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:13 PM
fredo

Guys, I have a question for Moki 150 owners. I'm thinking of building 30's racer in the future, so I wonder, what would be the best prop for speed? Also, I finally invested in APC pump but didn't notice any difference in power.
Do you actually have to lean out your needles? And if so, how much?

Many thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I have been told is that 180 to 200 degrees F is acceptable, 200 to 220 F is of concern, in excess of 220 F is unacceptable and must be addressed.

Whit

PS, I'm no expert, would love to hear from more experienced users on this.

ORIGINAL: heraldoboldrin

what is the temperature that the moki 250 can get?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just finished a second hand AW 42% Yak and I did use a Mustang propeller.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p90lU8D0tho[/youtube]

I do want to use a threbladed on this one, any suggestion?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 AM
mick15

I purchased a new 250, which I fitted to my Sea Fury and ran yesterday. I spent a time adjusting the mixture but could not get it to sound just right it seemed to have a misfire and sounded uneven.

So, after allowing the motor to cool down I decided to check the valve clearances and here’s what I discovered.

I set the clearance on the number one cylinder and for some reason I rotated the engine two whole turns so #1 cylinder was again at TDC on the firing stroke and………………..the exhaust valve had NO clearance!

I repeated this action on the remaining four cylinders with the same result, on all exhaust valves the clearance set was either gone or double the value each time the motor was rotated through 720deg.

I have described this anomaly to the supplier of the engine who has agreed to contact the manufacturer; I will post the content of the reply.

The reason for this problem is, I believe inaccurate machining of the cam ring. Below is my explanation.

The Moki 5 works in a different way to automobile engine

Automobile engine has camshaft running at half engine speed so the same lobe always opens the same valve. The Moki has cam ring, which runs at quarter engine speed the cam ring has TWO inlet lobes and TWO
exhaust lobes, therefore the valves are opened by two different lobes
every 720º.

It would appear the cam ring in my engine has been poorly machined as when the exhaust valve clearance is set in one position it is incorrect on the following lobe.

In my view, if the engine is run under these conditions ie one cam clearance correct the other holding the valve open damage to the valve and seat is inevitable.

m
Old 06-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: mick15

I purchased a new 250, which I fitted to my Sea Fury and ran yesterday. I spent a time adjusting the mixture but could not get it to sound just right it seemed to have a misfire and sounded uneven.

So, after allowing the motor to cool down I decided to check the valve clearances and here’s what I discovered.

I set the clearance on the number one cylinder and for some reason I rotated the engine two whole turns so #1 cylinder was again at TDC on the firing stroke and………………..the exhaust valve had NO clearance!

I repeated this action on the remaining four cylinders with the same result, on all exhaust valves the clearance set was either gone or double the value each time the motor was rotated through 720deg.

I have described this anomaly to the supplier of the engine who has agreed to contact the manufacturer; I will post the content of the reply.

The reason for this problem is, I believe inaccurate machining of the cam ring. Below is my explanation.

Automobile engine has camshaft running at half engine speed so the same lobe always opens the same valve. The Moki has cam ring, which runs at quarter engine speed the cam ring has TWO inlet lobes and TWO
every 720º.

It would appear the cam ring in my engine has been poorly machined as when the exhaust valve clearance is set in one position it is incorrect on the following lobe.

In my view, if the engine is run under these conditions ie one cam clearance correct the other holding the valve open damage to the valve and seat is inevitable.

m

Mick, what you guess is right; thats why it should be checked with a 5cylinder radial every other two full turns, not only one side
Old 06-21-2013, 05:20 AM
mick15

Well if that's the case someone should educate the factory because that is how it was out of the box.

It's also strange as none of my other engines exhibit this problem?

m
Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Evolution radials (UMS/Seidel) are made the same way and Horizon states in the instructions that the valve lash is to be checked in several different rotational positions.
However, in checking two different engines, I found NO appreciable difference in valve clearance regardless of rotational position. This would seem to indicate a high level of machining precision.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Maxam

Mick, Very definitely a bad non-concentric cam ring got past QC. I would be quite unhappy about this. I am sure you are. -Tom
Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 AM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: mick15

every 720º.

m
Mick, I have a 150 that I have been running for about three years which has a similar issue. I always use the lobes which gives the greatest clearance for making my adjustments. I would have to go check my gauges but I think I am setting them at a loose .005. When rotating two turns the gauge just barely want fit causing the valve to slightly open when the gauge is inserted. I was lucky and was able to look at a friends motor when it was apart to figure out the two sets of lobes and what was causing the issue. Amazing what we pay for these motors and the parts to find out they have such poor tolerances in the manufacturing process.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Maxam

This kind of thing makes it uncomfortable to buy any more Moki's. Thank goodness mine is a real nice one! -Tom
Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 AM
mick15

Yes Gary quite, mine though is over 5thou different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.