Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
YEA: Keep on a Rockin'' and play it LOUD!
8.85%
NAY: Turn OFF the Music so I can hear the Warbirds
90.27%
MAYBE: IF music is subltle (background) AND appropriate for eras
0.88%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

Airplanes make their own music. None required at any event, be it full scale or model. A pet peeve is warbird videos with the warbird sounds blocked out by what they erroneously call 'music' these days. NAAAYYY!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Rip n Bank

I vote NO on music at RC warbird events unless it is a part of a staged flight demo by a professional pilot and it is THEIR music choice.

When I"M on the flight line, I want to hear:

1. my airplane!
2. other airplanes
3. the air boss
4. my airplane!
5. my spotter
6. oh, and, did I mention...my airplane?

Let's face it, the use of music, even WWII period music, is more for the benefit of the (paying) visiting public, not the pilots attending.

When my giant P-51 rips down the runway with its Saito 220 "barking" its song at 9300 rpm, it's THAT "mechanical music" (a term coined by RUSH) that I want to hear, not some soundtrack over a loudspeaker.

Rip
Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's certainly should go without saying that when you're on the flight line anything but engine noise and spotter calls is distracting. I can't really ever remember hearing any music while on the flight line at any event I've ever attended. Also don't ever recall speakers aimed at a flight line at any event. That would piss off any pilot, I agree. BUT, when I'm relaxing in the pits or shooting the bull under a canopy, I love to hear a little Tommy Dorsey IN THE BACKGROUND...always have, always will. Any time I've been at a Warbird event that had nothing audio going on I felt something was missing. To each his own. I will change NOTHING at our event based on this poll.[8D]
Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
prop wash

Well fytrjok,it's obvious your not listening to the other [93] pilots on this thread, that we don't care for the loud music and halftime non related demos.I agree totally with Jim's [Corsair jock] poll.This past July we both attended the "Midwest Sundowners" WBD in NW Indiana and they played everything but period music and it was so loud that I could not hear my caller or anything else and I'm pretty much deaf [I can't hear very well] and had to yell at the safety super to turn down the noise.I love these events and like most of us I like to hear the planes and those on the flight line.
I don't like the half time demos of some guy doing 3D.How many IMAC [or whatever]events allow some one to fly a WWII or WWI or any other war bird during their half time demo?Now if they want to shut down the field for a demo like the B29 and X1 flight I guess thats OK.Remember,THE PILOTS are the reason for the event and if they are happy then the spectaters will be happy,and we will all have fun. Tom
Old 08-28-2009, 06:00 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Wow, that's really surprising to me. More than a hundred votes and the percentage is strong enough to draw some pretty sane indications from the data. I figured maybe 60-40 for "no". I'm a 'no' guy too, but, I would be FOR a partial inclusion of...at proper volume of course...period pieces, military appropriate music for gaggle flights, or national music representative of a model flying. This might 'add to', rather than 'subract from' the flight and the efforts of the spotter, or communication between pilots which is really essential for good gaggle flights with lots of birds in the air.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:31 AM
fytrjok

Propwash, Its obvious you didn't read my posts. I never said LOUD...I said background, appropriate period music. Background means SOFT, UNOBTRUSIVE and NEVER directed toward pilots on the flight line. And we NEVER do noon-time demos...only a nice 150 plus Warbird lineup photo-op for the pilots and the spectators that lasts maybe 30 minutes. Got it? It's an EVENT, not just an unorganized Saturday fly-in. The BACKGROUND music adds color, style and emotion to the event. If you have difficulty imagining such a scenario, I invite you to attend. It might surprise you that such a thing as tastefully done audio production is not only possible but, as I've been told by most of the attendees, WONDERFUL! If you decide to actually read the posts in this thread, I'd say the majority of them support EXACTLY what I work so hard to achieve. The poll question gives 2 choices: LOUD or NONE. If those were in reality the only choices at any Warbird event I'd also vote NONE! But LOUD/ inappropriate is not what we do. Can you understand?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:17 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Instead of Music in the Background which seems to bother most RC participants, how about a Half Time Show with Music and Cheerleaders?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76758.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1265175  
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 PM
prop wash

[:'(] No FYTRJOK you are not listening to the 102 v 8 pilots here that have told you they would rather "NOT" have the music. You sir need to get your head out of the sand. As for the WBOTR video that is your choice. Remember that the pilots are the reason.Thats all I have to say.I hope you had a good time at FRT Collins this week end.Wish I was there. Tom
Old 08-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Rip n Bank

ORIGINAL: dasintex

Hey Instead of Music in the Background which seems to bother most RC participants, how about a Half Time Show with Music and Cheerleaders?
Do you have any idea how many airplane crashes we'd see if were you to bring out a collection of beauties like that at an RC airshow at the wrong time? I'm talking carnage...

Rip
Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 PM
fytrjok

PWash, my head is out of the sand...maybe you need to get the sand out of your eyes!! The 108 pilots said NO to LOUD, in your face "ROCKIN" and turn it up loud!!! You and I both say NO to that. What is your comment regarding the majority of folks who've cared to post in this thread who like and prefer appropriate background music? I have nothing to do with WOBTR or the video they produce. If you'd care to experience one of my videos, go here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY3zMsfv-vg
Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, I've just added a new option to the poll. At the time of adding it, the count was:
1. YEA: Keep on a Rockin'' and play it LOUD! (10)
2. NAY: Turn OFF the Music so I can hear the Warbirds (102)

On second thought, I just decided to end this poll and start a new one. If you posted comments in this one, and wish to post those comments in the new poll, the easiest thing to do is 'copy and paste' your comments into a post in the new poll. Here is link to the new poll:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9055985/tm.htm
Old 08-31-2009, 03:50 PM
prop wash

Don't get all flustered fytrjok and bent out of shape.I gave my oppinion and "THATS THAT".
JIm are you going to Muncie for their WBD?? Tom
Old 08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom,
Still no flyable giant scales in my inventory, so no: I won't be going to Muncie. Did you get my e-mail about me going to the Palos event? Also, I know it's a bit far away for you, but I am strongly considering the Bowling Green (KY) "Warbird Alley" 2 day event in mid October.

As I stated, I have begun a new poll, which has 3 options instead of only 2. PLEASE, if you voted in this poll, vote again in the new poll:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9055985/tm.htm
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
prop wash

Yes I got your e-mail about Palos,too bad.But if you send them the results of your survey,maybe they will get the idea about the music and /or noise.aside from the arguments that were present,this was a real eye opener for" most "of us,and I think it could be a positive tool for most of the the clubs and events.Tom