Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Newbi wants to build a BIG corsair or b-25

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Newbi wants to build a BIG corsair or b-25

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
customjrod
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbi wants to build a BIG corsair or b-25

Newbi wants to build a BIG corsair or b-25 whats the best kit and easest to build. Corsair needs to be over 100" the b-25 over 120".
Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbi wants to build a BIG corsair or b-25

Meister Scale on the Corsair and Ziroli on the B25. Needless to say, I don't recommend any of this, except to experienced builder/ flyers.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
customjrod
My Feedback: (2)

Guess I should have been a little clearer. Ive been flying 35% to 50% aerobatics for the last 5 years, so Ive got tons of flying experience, but not a lot of building.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:33 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you have some stick time ! I would build whatever you have the most love for ! There will probably be times you can't sleep thinking about working on the plane..And possibly times you will be sick of moving it out of the way. Although as a new builder if you get the bug you might go straight through it ....

I will warn you for some guys building is like an addiction ! you might find yourself dreaming of flying the one you are building instead of actually going to the field...

I would suggest the corsair simply because it only has one engine and all the goodies it takes to make it run. The meister corsair is a great flyer from the few times I have seen one go. I can't tell you how and where it isn't true to scale.. I believe Topflight? has a giant corsair as well. Or was that royal?

Anyhow have fun,thats what its all about.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A completely different kettle of fish, You may want to start out on a Top Flite giant scale P-47 kit or ARF first. Building a plane of that size is a big commitment of time which is what does in most builders. expect to be at it for a couple of years if you want a nice plane. You obviously have the talent and the money. You just need to get used to flying on the wing and not the motor.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with Ziroli for the B-25. His plans are very easy to follow and if you select a good kit cutter, IMO, the plane will build as easy as a Top Flight kit. I built the 122" B-25 using Ziroli plans in 95. It went together fast (6 months building time, without scale detailing)and flew extremely well. [8D]
Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Building a giant scale B-25 is a tedious and time consuming effort. Even with a lazar cut Ziroli kit, the process will take 6 months to a year if you work on it constantly. I have been working on mine on and off for several years. The finishing and detailing will also be a tedious process. I have built many planes, and I know what I am talking about. One can easily succumb to "Burn Out" during a build. Stay focused on the finished project in your mind. This will get you through the rough parts. Beware of over detail, as you can drive yourself crazy at this point. Post some photos of your work in progress, so we can help you if you need it. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:15 PM
swampyankee

I had a Ziroli Zero as a first giant scale project, and while it's what it's advertised as, it would've been better for me to go with a set of plans that came with an instruction booklet. The Zeroli's plan set came without any accompanying instruction booklet, and since my wooden plane building experaince was static Guillows kits, the instruction book for a flying giant scale bird is invaluable. In fact, the questions you'll have more than likely won't be entirely covered in the booklet, but some might be, and others might come to mind that you never would"ve even thought about if not for the instructions.
I had my Zeroli plans a good ten or so years ago so they might have a booklet for their plans now. But back then you really need to have a few under your belt to build a Zeroli. I met a master builder who helped me as far as I got, without him I'd probably only had gotten as far as cutting the wood. I have Meister plans now because of simplicity of detailing (the cockpit kit is available) and because of the instructions that come with the plans. I was looking at Dave Platts plans for the same reason, but I think he only sells a short kit and I like to cut my own wood.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:26 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built the Ziroli B-25 in the mid 90s. When I ordered my plans, it did come with a separate booklet plus a computer disk. As far as building the plane, it was not much different than building some of the many other kits I have done over 20+ years in the hobby. I will agree, to build it with detail will require careful attention and quite a bit more time than I spend of my plane. I have also built planes from plans provided by other vendors that have taken 2 or more years to complete. Currently, I am building a 1/4 Corsair using Don Smith plans. I have been working on the plane since 2006 and may not have it done before the end of 2010. Again, the clarity of the plans and additional information provided can greatly reduce the building time. IMO, from the plans I have used in building large scale planes, I consider Ziroli's plans to be one of the best.

Below is a picture of the Corsair I am building from Don Smith plans. Whereas I would suggest Ziroli's plans to a person with limited building experience, I would not suggest Don Smith plans for someone without quite a bit of building experience.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38952.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	780.8 KB
ID:	1266703  
Old 08-31-2009, 09:40 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: customjrod

Guess I should have been a little clearer. Ive been flying 35% to 50% aerobatics for the last 5 years, so Ive got tons of flying experience, but not a lot of building.
I'm sure you can make your aerobatic planes dance, but let me say, as one who flies both giant aerobatic and war birds, they are completely different types with very different characteristics. Be prepared for a different discipline in the air with a whole new approach to take-offs and landings. Higher wing loading, with the 'big wing, little tail' of the war bird, makes for some challenging landings. Up the wing loading by about about 40% on your sim and fly your Extra or whatever.

Building is a whole other subject. A great deal of engineering goes into a giant war bird. Much more than aerobatic planes. Air systems, mechanical linkages, gear off-sets and closures, cockpit details, all manor of surface details, a variety of hinge geometry, a dozen or more servos, wiring....and more wiring, big and expensive gear parts, the best engines you can afford and at the top end of the size range for safety, and much more, and much of this is improvised by the builder even with top shelf plans like Meister and Zirroli.

I love to build and am not trying to discourage you but rather, just consider what all this entails. If your up to it, it will be a very rewarding accomplishment for you. Personally, I don't think it gets much better than building a giant war bird, and then flying it successfully.

I wish you well with the project and don't forget all the help available here on the net.[8D]