Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What do you expect from a warbirds event

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
airshow
100.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

What do you expect from a warbirds event

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do you expect from a warbirds event

As a CD of an annual warbirds event I would like some feed back from those who attend events.

What are you looking for when you attend? Do you like non warbird demo flights? Warbird demo flights?
lengthy time blocked out for special flights? Lots of time for everyone to fly? Prize give aways? Raffles?
shirts and caps with entry fee? What is a good entry fee for you? Do you want an airshow or a fly-in?
Are spectators any factor in your attendance? How many times do you think you should be able to fly each day?
Non scale planes included in event? Helicopters? etc. any comments would be helpful

Larry

Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What do you expect from a warbirds event

Larry, don't bore the pilots with "disco birds". Nothing against them - i fly them too. But, a warbird event should be a warbird event.

Safety is first, as more relaxed the pilots are, as better the "show". A spotter should be required for each pilot.

Anyhow, I understand you like this event as a success - my advice: don't pressure your self in too many things. Keep it simple and the guys will like it and come back. Is there are a chaos and too "much action" people leave and never come back.
The radio impound need to be flawless and strict. No need to impound 2.4gHz
The Airboss need to know what he is doing - the most important man at the event! There are people who flu never with each other.

Raffles are good and fun - brings revenue for the club, this money needs to go back in improvements for the next event!
Prices are kinda standard - Best of show, Best pre ww2, best ww2, best post ww2 and then seconds this would be 8 prices and this takes not that long and keep the guys from dinner.

No non military helicopters period - these machines are for most fixed wing pilots very annoying. They have their place - but not in a event like that.

Final, a good flier - posted everywhere. Invite the youth of the civil air patrol. (hooter girls maybe)

Fly the American flag and honor the Pilots and crews who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Last, have fun...
Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the laid back fly in approach. Nothing non scale. I enjoy seeing other peoples models and showing off mine. I would have awards in many catagories. This way more people take something home and have something to remember the fly in with. Awards don't have to be fancy or expensive. The event needs to be fun for the pilots or they will stop comming. I think the focus should remain on the event being relaxed flying for the pilots. If the event gets driven for the spectators(always haveing something flying-lots of demos ect) it makes it harder to get in regular flights. I do like when there are a group of Corsairs or bombers the fly together, but the event should mostly be about modelres flying there models for their enjoyment.

Regards,

Dave
Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Would add NO BLAIRING MUSIC

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
jlarson31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it controlled! The comment about the AirBoss in the previous post is dead on. Midwest Warbirds in Fond du Lac WI a few weeks ago was very busy and extremely well ran. Flight ops Saturday morning were almost on par with a normal day at Chicago O’Hare! Never once felt concerned. Spotters were talking with one another and AirBoss was constantly talking to spotters/pilots as well as crews in on-deck starting boxes. Despite activity level, flying was the most enjoyable and comfortable I’ve experienced all summer.

To some extent, it's a little bit on the shoulders of the pilots and crews to help make an event like that, and yours, run smoothly. Push communication in morning pilot meeting and if event is multi-day, be willing to make changes (improvements) as needed. Personal oppinion, everyone at Fond du Lac was very respectful of one another. WW1 guys flew with WW1 guys, same for WW2 guys, experimental and the few jets present. Same issues we are all aware of with mixing helis, 3D and scale - it doesn't work. The flight envelopes of different genres, let alone types (jet vs. helicopter) are too different to be flown together in the same airspace.

YES, I want a shirt! I spill a lot of glue in the winter. More than happy to pay for it in support of the club.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Good info guys. I'm warbird cd for our club too, ARCA. I havent heard anything new yet, but always open to new ideas.
Edwin
Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
prop wash

Very good thread Larry. I totally agree with G-Pete especially about the choppers and 3D stuff.As I posted on "Corsair joks" thread.Just fun flying and good company. Tom
Old 09-02-2009, 05:01 PM
prop wash

Oh,by the way G-Pete I was supposed to meet you at WOTR but we ran out of money and had to split.[:@]Maybe next year.{sounds like a Cub fan}
Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a poll? I see only one option: "Airshow".

I went back to the other poll (which ended before it began), and copied and pasted these options:

airshow 0% (0) I come to warbird events to fly with other warbirds, meet and communicate with other warbird enthusiests, and communicate with spectators when they are present.

give aways 0% (0) Don't need no "give aways": if I want something, I buy it

shirts or caps with entry 0% (0) Same with caps and shirts, BOTH of which I already have too many of

time blocked out for demos 0% (0) NO WAY, ESPECIALLY if it is NOT WARBIRD RELATED. BUT, I do like it when they allow 'group flights': such as when I show up with a Mustang and spot a couple of others like mine, upon request most CDs will not allow others to takeoff until a group can get up together, and then they allow others to take-off as we land.

non warbird demos 0% (0) NO WAY! I travel many miles to attend warbird event, my airplane hauler gets 18mpg, and many warbird event last less then 8 hours: I don't need some of that time forfeited because some guy wants to demonstrate 3D.

fly-in 0% (0) Don't know what you mean.

raffles 0% (0) Don't need them, don't buy into them. But many do: I think it best to have it as an option

entry fee around 20$ 0% (0) The events I attend are always less than that, I prefer FREE. After all, I spend enough money just getting there.

helicopters 0% (0) IF they are military: OK. Otherwise, NO!

open flying 0% (0) As in: anything goes? Why even have a warbird event?

In a nutshell, what I HOPE to see at a warbird event: MANY, MANY WARBIRDS, and having at least 4 in the air most of the time. AND, the opportunity to meet in person aquaintences from RC Universe, AND talking to spectators, many of who come to see and hear warbirds (NOT music), and are interested in becoming involved in ther hobby. I bring self-made business cards with me, thatI pass out to spectators that seem genuinely interested, and instruct them to e-mail me if they would like more help.
Having some vets there is always a plus: there are so few left, let's commincate with them and honor them while we still can.

Mostly, it is the bonding of fellow warbird enthusiests that compells me to drive such distances to participate in warbird events.
It is GREAT to have spectators, but I don't believe we need to go out of our way/ make sacrifices to the pilots in order to draw them.
Maybe in sunny CA: they have enough warbirds show up at their flying sites every day, that they can afford to have 'Spectator Day's in which they cater to them, but I'm thinking the rest of the U.S. isn't that way. California: the U.S. does NOT revolve around you.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Maybe in sunny CA: they have enough warbirds show up at their flying sites every day, that they can afford to have 'Spectator Day's in which they cater to them, but I'm thinking the rest of the U.S. isn't that way. California: the U.S. does NOT revolve around you.
Geez...what's with the hostility?...or is it envy.

Why does having spectators mean NOT catering to pilots?
I have never been to an event where spectators took anything away from attending pilots.
It's not a "spectator day"...it's an event. Not every event can be a big event. I'm glad there are small gatherings/funfly's all over for you guys to do your thing.
It's just much more fun to "do your thing" when there are 500 people on the premises. Much more exciting. Much more of an "event", if you will.

No, the country doesn't revolve around Cali...but you know what they say about "as Cali goes..."

Don't hate...especially in the middle of winter

I grew up in OH, so I know all too well how lucky I am to live in San Diego...believe me.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Lots of good advice on here.
No loud music and if there is music try to make it WWll and not all day long I like to hear the twins.
Maybe honor the veterans at the morning flag raising by a raise of hands.
Have pilot drawings for free stuff anybody can use some hardware stuff.
If you charge $20+ have a really good free barbecue for pilot and helper.

AND HAVE A CONTACT PERSONS E-MAIL ADDRESS THAT WILL ANSWER BACK HIS MAIL!!! darn-it
Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: MX240
......................AND HAVE A CONTACT PERSONS E-MAIL ADDRESS THAT WILL ANSWER BACK HIS MAIL!!! darn-it
AMEN, which is why I will be attending Loiusville, KY event and NOT Bowling Green, KY event.

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
...................Geez...what's with the hostility?...or is it envy.....................
Niether. If anything, it is mis-understanding of the life in California. You have already stated what a high priority it is for the events that you 'are in charge of' to place the emphasis on spectators, rather than participants. To the rest of the U.S.: that seems to be a more of a luxury, as most warbirds events that I participate are doing all they can to attract participants, rather than spectators. And again: having spectaors is GREAT, but without the participants, why bother?

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
Why does having spectators mean NOT catering to pilots?........................
When playing music to appease the spectators ( or DJs?), at the cost of displeasing pilots, who prefer communcating with each other AND being able to hear their engines running. When having a 'half time' demo that features 3D flying, because spectators get more from it.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know what? I think that I have made the mistake of talking about RC fixed wing events in general.
I am involved in the Jet scene more than any other, and speak from that mentality. But from a "scale" jet perspective. Doesn't have to be a military aircraft, but has to be a scale aircraft. Not into the whole sportjet thing. But you know what, jets...even a scaled out Panther or F-100 are all about rock 'n roll.
I am realizing that an RC Jet event must be very different than the ideal Warbird event you guys are talking about.
I may not have properly perceived what is obviously an apples to oranges scenario.
But no matter the event, I agree that not being able to communicate on the flightline because of any kind of music would be annoying.
I've never seen that before.

Hope you guys find what your looking for.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Edwin

Man!! Seems what ya'll hate the most works pretty good down in Texas. BomberField has no trouble attracting pilots, with vintage music, and LOTS of spectators. We hold four events a year as fund raisers for field improvements. (Heli, Warbirds, Jet, Big Bird) I do the warbird. If we couldnt make enough money to justify it, why bother. Its a hell of a lot of work. Concessions makes a bunch of money and the raffles dont do too bad either. What you are talking about is just guys getting together and flying as guests at a friends home field. Thats what we do down here from time to time. Just my opinion, but you dont speak for the rest of the US.
Edwin
Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Edwin

I was at BF in 04. cant wait to get back
my avatar is my PCM109 being maidened
by Evan Q then.

BF puts on a great event, one of the best warbird events around
Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

2 cent: skip the 3 D crap and heli's,they have their own events. Group flying i.e. B-17's, P-47s etc all for it. I take time from work to go to local events and I want to fly. Would like to seperation of different airspeed groups, L-4's and Mustangs don't mix. K.I.S.S.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Yes I agree with SIMCO have separate classes at times...but have open flying and if the boys all want to fly together let them go for it. I guess the main thing is have a C/D that is aware of what people want.
It's called CIRCULATE among the fliers...don't just set with your fellow club members next to the club house.
Sometimes I have to travel alone to these events and it would be nice to have the host club have members move around the grounds on opening day and grab a corner of my EZup tent to help out.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM
warpsflyer
My Feedback: (6)

I'm glad that someone brought this subject up. I was the CD of our local warbird event last month. I learned some things that will be implemented next time. I am always looking for ways to improve an event whether it is warbird, 3d or fun-fly. It seems everyone likes raffles, prizes etc. Clubs put these events on to make money and new friends. Spectators are a must, we usually have a static display at the local Wal-Mart to show our planes, we have gotten great results from these shows. I do have one dilemma and it involves prop-driven jets (ex. Hanger 9 F-22). Should these be allowed at a warbird event?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Pecanpatch

I've been to several warbird events.... what bugs me is all the Hangar queens.
year after year these guys drag out the same old planes but they wont fly them.
But they will accept a "Best of show" trophy.

IMHO- If the plane dont get airborne........ No trophy for YOU!

Signed,
The trophy Nazi
Old 09-03-2009, 10:24 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: Pecanpatch
IMHO- If the plane dont get airborne........ No trophy for YOU!

ABSOLUTELY!! No flies No plice!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77163.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1267978  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
groovy67
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with pecanpatch,if it doesn't fly,it doesn't get rewarded! If you have a museum piece,put it in a museum and leave it there. I too hate loud music that makes it hard to hear the engines on planes.Some of us like to see different kits and engines to get some good ideas of what works best with what so we can build a plane that flys as good as it looks.
On another note,it seems to me that a lot of jet pilots have a bug up their tailpipe(at least at my flying field) and think that they are the greatest thing to walk the earth.They treat prop jocks(thats me) as if they were low class people and have no reguard for them.Remember this Mr. Jet-son,we all started with prop driven planes.Some of us don't have the money or interest in jets,but we always give you the sky to yourselves when you fly out of respect and knowing the expense and time you put into building one.It would be nice to show us some repect,too.
Raffles are ok and I would like to get a shirt and cap when available.I also say keep the sport scale and non scale aircraft at their own events.
Let's all get along and make these events fun and enjoyable to attend.......thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MX240 hit the nail on the head. Nothing worse than showing up to an event and being treated like a leper. Out warbird gang takes pride in treating everyone like a long lost friend, wether you fly an electric foamy warbird or you just won top gun. We go as a group to events and have a good time, I am sure that some of the other entrants find that annoying. Never understood people that will travel hundreds of miles and then sit under their tent like a lump. But, as Forrest Gumps mom said, "life is like a box of chocolates"
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
GerKonig

Why are spectators important? Many got into the hobby after attending a Warbird meet. Let's face this birds are attractive:-) I attend a couple of meet (all giant), WOD (Delaware), over Quackertown and one in Jersey, and Reinebeck for the WWI warplanes:-) There is no shortage of pilots in any of these meets. Many spectators do not own a WB, but fly RC...
Music if from the era, it is OK, but not blaring. After all, for that, there is guy on the microphone:-) If I have nothing to fly I attend anyway, you can learn a lot about the plane you are building, or narrow down your next "winter projet". Raffles, 50/50 are OK, and you raise money for next year's event. I always donate for the parking in 2 of the places I attend, to help the club raise some always needed funds. I thinks people that lug out their "queens" (and sit under their tent like a lump) and do not fly are having fun, same I think of the spectators (just take the time to talk to people, and you will agree with me), and of course those that fly are having a blast...
No choppers needed, no 3,4 or 5 D needed either.

My 2 cents. Have fun, life is way too short.

Gerry
PS: Only planes that actually did fly qualify for a trophy
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

I would like to have a variety of warbirds to see what others have used in their builds. If there is a "show" keep it to an hour or less for anything other than warbirds.

I also want to see the warbirds fly. there have been warbirds I have seen at fly-ins that fly maybe once a day if at all. and while I have gone to a show or two and not flown because I was sick, for the most part it would be good if you fly what you bring. Another approach for this is to have a separate display area for planes that aren't going to fly so people (spectators) can see them easier.

Another thing that needs to be done at warbird shows is to have the runway suitable for the planes you have invited. I have been to shows before that have grass too tall for 40 and 60 size warbirds, or for electrics. So if you are going to have a show advertised for any size warbird you need to cut the grass.. of course for some fields with paved runways this is not an issue but here in Ohio most fields are grass. I know that once in a while the weather is bad and you can't get it cut but for the most part this is not an issue.

Ed
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Edwin

Oh yeah! You gotta fly for an award, preferably more than once. I would allow a H9 F22 at my warbird. I dont do scale contests, its just a warbird funfly. And definately no non-warbird flying (3d or heli demo). I would allow a huey though. Sometimes we do a spectator layout on the runway for about 45 minutes or so cause a lot of the guys love to talk about their plane. And some dont. Those dont have show theirs at the noon runway spectator showing. To each his own. Our last day is setup as open flying so the out of towners can fly whatever they want. We dont have spectators on sunday and the pilots that havent left can fly whatever and relax. Our profits go back into the club. This year, we are running more electrical for RV connections. And hopefully next year we can put up a metal cover over the new concrete that was laid this year for the picnic tables.
Edwin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.