Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

My Zero has suffered a twist of fate.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

My Zero has suffered a twist of fate.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 AM
swampyankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Zero has suffered a twist of fate.

Well, the continuing saga of newbie at the bench continues.

Question, can sheeting applied to a fuselage in a certain manner remove a twist in the fuselage? Or in other words, can I use sheetting to compensate for the twist? It isn't much of a twist, but...

Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: My Zero has suffered a twist of fate.

I don't know the exact issue that your are dealing with but, assuming your fuse is not sheeted, if you hold it straight while you sheet it, it should remain straight when you are done.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

a pic is worth a thousand words .... why don't you post some pic so we can see what the problem is your having , we may be able to direct you a little better
Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad is spot on... if it's still in the bones (formers and stringers), just pin (or tack glue) the fuse to the bench so that it's again over the plans and perfectly straight, and then apply the sheeting. The sheeting will lock it all together and hold it straight. Just be sure that when you sheet the fuse you alternate between left and right side... add a piece to the left side, then an equivalent sheet to the right. Alternating in this manner will prevent further warping.

If you've already sheeted, then that's another can of worms.

Show us a picture, as Zero-322 suggested.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just remembered that you're building a Meister Zero on an elevated crutch, right? If that's the case, then of course you can't just tack glue the fuse to the building board. But you can glue the elevation supports to the board, and then glue the crutch to the elevation supports. This will accomplish the same thing. When building from an elevated crutch, I draw reference lines on my building board (most importantly a long, straight centerline), and then use a carpenters square to check the alignment of the fuse/crutch relative to those lines.

With those lines in place, you should be able to square it all back up, tack it down so it's flat and the sheet the top. After sheeting the top of the fuse, just break the tack-glued joints, flip the fuse over and sheet the bottom.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
swampyankee

OK, every picture tells a story don't it.
You remember correctly butlern, it's a Meister on a crutch. Here are 4 pictures, 2 before I clamp B/H B8 to the crutch upright, and 2 after with a shot of the level on the horizontal stab. shelf. I have a total of 3 crutch uprights under the fuse. 1 behind B1, one in the middle of the fuse and the last one I used to clamp the pictured b/h to.

Note: the other 5 contact points between the crutch and the crutch uprights remains constant with or without the clamp on the one area pictured. The crutch in those 5 other areas remains in contact with their repsective uprights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40020.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1271320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82079.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1271321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49009.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	106.1 KB