Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions requested, re; control cables

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Suggestions requested, re; control cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 PM
swampyankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions requested, re; control cables

I've come to one of those points in the build where I need to make a decision, other than where to buy wood. I'm in unfamiliar territory here and have never bought any of these things. The manual says NY rods, are those nylon rods? I'm not sure, I need directions at this point.
So, any suggestions as to which cables I should buy and how long they ought to be? These would be the ones running the legnth of the fuse, the rudder and elevators I'm thinking. Or do I need something more for the tail wheel as well? I'm hoping to build in scale control horns.

The plane is a Meister Zero w/a 108 in wingspan. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions requested, re; control cables

You can measure the length of the fuse to get the proper cable length. Ny rod is a trade name and yes they are nylon control rods. Often they have an outer and inner nylon rod. The inner rod sliding inside the outer rod. You can purchase these at most hobby shops or online. The Meister planes are pretty large so get the longest you can. You can always shorten what you don't need.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:34 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For a large aircraft I recommend the 4-40 precision rods. The inner rod is a composite material and will not expand contract with heat. Also, it is just a good idea to use the larger 4-40 hardware for bigger aircraft. I have been using these in my 1/4 scale Mig and they work great. Check them here http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7328
Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For control cables. Just go to your local fishing store and buy you a spool of coated leader wire and crimps. I use 20-30lbs test. You want the coated not the plain wire. I use to buy it in 100yd spools and lasted for years. now the most I could find locally was 25yd spools. I also buy dubro rigging coulpers. This is cheap and fast and easy ....

Ty

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE074&P=7
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99582.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1274121  
Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lose the nylon rods, and install 2xelevator servos in the stab halves, looseing all that slop, yes, it will mean weight up front, but, you are going to do this anyway, get a good servo up front, with pull-pull control to the rudder, with 2 more take offs for the steerable tailwheel, nylon rods are old hat,

have a good look at the construction, having seen some american plans, they can be lightened up considerably at the back end, get all your gear ahead, or on the CG, its well worth the effort, to get better empennage control