Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Cannopy rails ? help !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Cannopy rails ? help !

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannopy rails ? help !

I would like to purchase a set of canopy rails that I have seen for sale on here , but I'm not sure how these are suppose to work ? ball stud etc ? how do you set this up ? I sent an e-mail to the guy selling them for some instruction but never heard from him, any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Mike
Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cannopy rails ? help !

Hey Mike ,
the rails are cut with a slot in the middle , you have options
1)small ball head (usually found on rc cars ) you attach the ball to a wood or plastic flat sheet and its attaches to the inside of the canopy and it will slide into and thru the rail .
2)You can use plastic or aluminum T frame rails , again bought at the hobby shop and it will slide (size appropriate ) thru the slot that is cut in the brass rails
Hope this helps
Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 PM
ZERO-322

thanks buddy , all the same I think I prefer your method of the pushrod and plastic tube much better , seems a little simpler that way , I had seen the canopy rails on here before seems like a cool concept but couldn't figure out how it would go together , probably more practical for the larger scale models I guess , I can't see that looking right on a 50 size or even a 60 size airplane , your method is better hidden I think

what did you do with that P-40 did ya pretty up the cockpit and finish her up ?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 AM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

Mike, I know you decided to move on to another method, however her is an example of how you would use the brass rails.

GaryM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14043.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1276899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37708.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1276900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17732.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1276901  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Mike ,
yes my method is much easier for a 90 and under size model . I bought the more expensive rails and even used my method on my CMP Fw190 bash .
THe reason is that you dont have any flex on the rails , so instalation has to be perfact . The simple method we used allows flex and fixes problems if the angle is off , unlike the rails that need to be perfact .

I like the pics used for the corsair , but on the KMP that would mean I need to cut a slot into the rear fuse , and i dont think I have the thickness needed without adding a wood internal support plate . Also the part that attaches to the canopy(shown in the picture ) is custom and not part of the purchased rails

I left the P40 as non sliding , I am going some final pics with weathering soon , I just need to get it done so I can move onto the FW and then start the winter project of the KMP corsair . I plan on major mods on that one including a full scratch build interior
Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 PM
NCIS

Mike,

I never got your email but my phone number is on my web site 920-723-7959 www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com It looks like some people are helping you out but you should have tried to call me. I always am happy to help someone with my rails. Sorry I didn't respond. I wish I would of know you were having trouble.

Barry
Canopy Rails for Warbirds
Owner/Operator
Old 09-17-2009, 02:21 PM
ZERO-322

Hey thanks for getting back to me on here or otherwise , sorry for the dumb question , but I am doing another zero 80" wingspan and was wondering how to go about setting this up , I saw the pic of the zero you have on your add and have a genral idea of how it is suppose to go together , but was wondering perhaps when it comes to my particular set up how it would apply , maybe some detail instruction ? and also the dimension on the actual rail ?

thanks
Mike
Old 09-17-2009, 02:56 PM
NCIS

Mike,

That is a picture of a builders Zero that I sold him his rails for and he sent me the pic for my ad. He used a standard 1/4"x1/4"x12" rail set with a 3/32" slot on his and he had a thread on here somewhere about mounting them if you can find it. He called me and just asked the basic questions and that is what I would like you to do when you get ready to install them. I will walk you through it over the phone. It is much easier than writing it all down and also less confusing. Just bookmark my website below and go to contact info and my number will always be there for you. Again I'm sorry I dropped the ball on your email.

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryM

Mike, I know you decided to move on to another method, however her is an example of how you would use the brass rails.

GaryM
I like your method. I am working on a Meister P-47 and already have purchased the rails. Any ideas on how you could add a servo to your system? I would like to control the canopy with the same channel as the gear (down / open, up / closed). Thanks.

Gary