Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Wanted - Part drawing for wing b-25

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Wanted - Part drawing for wing b-25

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 AM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted - Part drawing for wing b-25

If any one can help out there I am in need of a drawing of Part W-1. It is the main diehdral brace for joining the two wing sections.

I boutght this kit used years ago and decided it would be my winter project. I am figuring out all the stuff not there and this part is kind of important.

Thanks
Scott
Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Wanted - Part drawing for wing b-25

Might help if they know what kit your talking about.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from the title I would say it is the Wing mfg b-25
Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 PM
csandt051196

The kit is the Wing MFG B-25.

Thanks
Scott
Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Scott

I've got a Wing B-25 on the table right now. I'll dig out the plans and see if there's a drawing of the main brace. It's pretty simple, just a piece of plywood with a shallow V angle cut in it, so it should be pretty simple to figure out the length and angle that's needed.

Fred
Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might also consider contacting Dan Gipe of Wing Mfg. I assure you: he will not bite your head off if you ask for his help. He could also supply you with any parts that may be missing.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
csandt051196

I sent an email, but never heard back. I have been staring at the plans for a week trying to figure out where the guy I bought the kit from left off and I never thought about looking at the plans and sketching one out. I am not sure if enough of the wing is there to do that but I will try.

Thanks
Scott
Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM
csandt051196

Feeling a little foolish. I was so focused on something else that I did not take the time to just look.

Thanks and sorry!
Scott
Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
FallDownGoBoom

Scott:

Like CorsairJock said, Dan is a great resource, and will eventually get back with you. Sometimes it takes him a bit to do so. Not that I'm any expert, but if you need some help with some phase of the build, let me know.

Fred
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM
csandt051196

He probably read my email and thought what a doof just look at the plans.

I do have one question at the moment. What wing exits would you suggest for the flap cables?

Thanks
Scott
Old 10-08-2009, 12:32 PM
FallDownGoBoom

Ah, those infamous flaps...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "wing exits", but here are some ideas:

1) If you're building by the Construction Guide, you run the guide tubes on the bottom of the wing, then sheet over them and cut out openings for the flap cables. Run the tubes so they exit the wing cores close to the middle of the flap, and leave about 2-1/2 to 3" of space between the exit point and the flap control horn. If I was taking this approach, I think I'd replace the tube/metal cable supplied with the kit with flexible nyrods.

2) Another approach is to try to be "artsy", and hide the control points (which is what I did... big PIA!). I saw this done on a TF Bonanza and thought it was a neat approach. You build a 1/16" plywood control horn into the flap, with the hole in the horn extending out of the top of the flap leading edge. Then you run the flap control cables on the top of the wing, and have the cables exit through the trailing edge under the sheeting. A clevis attaches the flap to the cable, so the whole control mechanism is hidden when the flaps are up. Then you use a single servo mounted in the center of the wing to control the flaps.

3) Or you could do the brute force method: use something like a Hitec HS81 or 85 servo and put one on each flap. Lots of wiring and exposed push rods, but I don't know which is worse: that, or gluing the guide tubes into the wing, finding the exit points after they're sheeted, making sure they haven't been glued shut, getting them all connected to a single servo, then getting everything to move smoothly.

One other thing: make sure you leave plenty of room in the tunnels in the wing to pull servo wires, retract air lines, and electrical wiring. I drilled a 5/8" hole longitudinally through the wing, and things are going to end up being pretty cramped. There's a lot of stuff that needs to go in the wing, especially if you're thinking about using something like a TwinSynch on the engines, or if you're going to power it with electrons instead of nitro.