Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Heinkel He 100

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 AM
deatonbt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heinkel He 100

Hey All,

I am starting a scratch built Heinkel He 100. I wanted something a little different. I looked at an Bf 109E because of the simple lines and easy to make canopy, but the wing looked like a decent size until Icalculated the area. The wing is smaller than it looks. I also considered Fiat G 55 because of the simple canopy but dropped it because of the large Bf 109F size spinner that I couldn't hit with an electric starter.

This is my first attempt at it; so Iam going a simple route. Both the wing and fuselage are going to be sheeted foam. Wingspan is going to be 57" since I wanted to start off with something small. I have thought about using a .46 motor since it is a small plane but have changed to a .61 since the spinner is going to be 4" in diameter. The hardest part of the project is going to be making the canopy.

The fuselage is going to be a simple 1/16" sheet box with 3/16"sheet laminated from the wing trailing edge forward; then foam then outside sheeting. I have exploded a 1/48 scale drawing to the appropriate size with a ruler. I am going to use the drawing's cross sections as templates glued to the crutch to shape the foam. I have already had the foam wing cores cut and have started on the crutch. To help it be a floater that I can drag in on landing, I went with a Clark Y slightly modified to 12% thickness. The Clark Y plot points that Ipulled off of the internet came out to be slightly under 12%. The tip is going to look good since it will be thin. I might have made the center section a little better visually by starting off at 15% then thinning to 12, but it should still fly well anyway. Since the cores are already cut and it is a sport plane, I am sticking to 12 all of the way across. It will get a little thinner because of the taper but not much. A good lesson learned for the next one.

Ihave planned just about every thing out except for the glue. On the fuselage I am going to use epoxy for the sheeting and crutch. But here is the question. I have to glue two sheets of foam together to fill out the fuselage shape. I am a little worried about using epoxy since it might make a hard raised point when sanding to shape it. Does anybody have an idea of what would be a good glue that is sandable but not too rubbery or brittle?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Heinkel He 100

http://www.wowplanes.com/ he has some stuff called liquid sheet that looks promising. He has a build thread on rcu also of his b26. Jack Devine models has some sheeting glue and there is sigbond and bave browns Sorghum...I think is what it is called
Old 10-10-2009, 02:06 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: deatonbt

Hey All,

I am starting a scratch built Heinkel He 100. I wanted something a little different. I looked at an Bf 109E because of the simple lines and easy to make canopy, but the wing looked like a decent size until I calculated the area. The wing is smaller than it looks. I also considered Fiat G 55 because of the simple canopy but dropped it because of the large Bf 109F size spinner that I couldn't hit with an electric starter.

This is my first attempt at it; so I am going a simple route. Both the wing and fuselage are going to be sheeted foam. Wingspan is going to be 57'' since I wanted to start off with something small. I have thought about using a .46 motor since it is a small plane but have changed to a .61 since the spinner is going to be 4'' in diameter. The hardest part of the project is going to be making the canopy.

The fuselage is going to be a simple 1/16'' sheet box with 3/16''sheet laminated from the wing trailing edge forward; then foam then outside sheeting. I have exploded a 1/48 scale drawing to the appropriate size with a ruler. I am going to use the drawing's cross sections as templates glued to the crutch to shape the foam. I have already had the foam wing cores cut and have started on the crutch. To help it be a floater that I can drag in on landing, I went with a Clark Y slightly modified to 12% thickness. The Clark Y plot points that I pulled off of the internet came out to be slightly under 12%. The tip is going to look good since it will be thin. I might have made the center section a little better visually by starting off at 15% then thinning to 12, but it should still fly well anyway. Since the cores are already cut and it is a sport plane, I am sticking to 12 all of the way across. It will get a little thinner because of the taper but not much. A good lesson learned for the next one.

I have planned just about every thing out except for the glue. On the fuselage I am going to use epoxy for the sheeting and crutch. But here is the question. I have to glue two sheets of foam together to fill out the fuselage shape. I am a little worried about using epoxy since it might make a hard raised point when sanding to shape it. Does anybody have an idea of what would be a good glue that is sandable but not too rubbery or brittle?
Use the 3M spray contact cement #90 high strength. I have used it many times to glue foam together before cutting it with a hot wire and is perfect for your application. I am interested in this HE 100. Very good looking airplane. Wing aea is a non issue so long as you can keep it light.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The He 100 is high on my list too... its a fantastic looking plane that should have made it into mass production but instead politics got in the way... I use Jack Devine's foam glue to do my sheeting. Works great and Jack is one hell of a fine person.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:17 AM
deatonbt

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace
Use the 3M spray contact cement #90 high strength. I have used it many times to glue foam together before cutting it with a hot wire and is perfect for your application. I am interested in this HE 100. Very good looking airplane. Wing aea is a non issue so long as you can keep it light.
I have used Dave Brown's Southern's Sorghum before to play it safe, but Iwould like to have used the 3M stuff. I chickened out since Ididn't want to ruin my wing cores. Idid a stress test on scrap with some 3M #77 by holding the can about 4" from the foam and sprayed a little heavy. The solvents that came out in the spray melted the foam. How have you gotten around it and still put down enough that didn't dry in the air before hitting the foam. I have quite a bit of foam to experiment that comes for free because it is going to be thrown out. It's left overs in odd sizess from a boat dock. I don't know the density, but it feels pretty light and friend has used it to cut wing cores. It is the correct kind of foam to use.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:39 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the formula for the 3M #77 spray has changed a few years ago,it wasn't the formula that changed but the propellent now contains acetone which attacks the foam.they make another product that the name eludes me at the moment for doing carpet and trim on cars that is foam safe.waterbased weldwood contact cement is being used by the pattern guys on foam wings as shorgum is in short supply and can not be shipped in cold wheather as if it freezes it is no good.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:50 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There are several spray contact cements on the market but I recommended the # 90, not the 77. Not sure about the propellent change but try lighter coats. It should be sprayed on both pieces and fully dry before putting together. Also, I am sure if you peruse the isles at your hobby Lobby or whatever, you will find a compatible contact cement. Even if you brush it on like the Sorgum. You just do not want to use epoxy, elmers, or tightbond for this as your wire may snag on it when trying to cut.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How about an update

I'm planning next winters build in the 80" to 92" size. Gear, Cowl and Canopy will likely need to be made from scratch. Currently hunting plans.

Pete
Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 PM
deatonbt

Iset it aside and started on an American Eagle Spitfire since Icame across a good deal on one. It is going slowly too, but I finally collected most all of the needed stuff just this week.

I have made the crutch with firewall and wing saddle by simply laying out balsa inside the 2 view drawing that I made. After exploding the 1/48 scale three views by hand, Idiscovered that the fuselage cross sections did not quite match the profiles. The 1/48 scale drawing was the problem. So, Iam going to have to do a little free hand sanding of the foam to get the shape. My hats off to the guys who draw built up structures by hand or on CAD.

I pulled a canopy off an old ARF that Ihad and discovered by shifting it back and forth I can get the profile to match my drawing pretty close with some trimming. Iwas going to carve the nose without a separate cowl but decided that it would be more work in the end. After carving the nose, Iam going to lay cloth on it to make the cowl. Then I'll just cut the nose off at the firewall.

One more thing that I didn't think about that Ihave to overcome is the small size of the horizontal tail surfaces. Even though Iam just going after stand-off scale, I have run into a snag on it. Increasing the area of those surfaces even slightly causes the vertical and horizontal to not line up at all. It will have a big visual impact. Plus, Iam going to have to do some internet searching to find a good ratio of stab area to wing area.

Iam not giving up. I am going to finish it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: deatonbt

I set it aside and started on an American Eagle Spitfire since I came across a good deal on one. It is going slowly too, but I finally collected most all of the needed stuff just this week.

I have made the crutch with firewall and wing saddle by simply laying out balsa inside the 2 view drawing that I made. After exploding the 1/48 scale three views by hand, I discovered that the fuselage cross sections did not quite match the profiles. The 1/48 scale drawing was the problem. So, I am going to have to do a little free hand sanding of the foam to get the shape. My hats off to the guys who draw built up structures by hand or on CAD.

I pulled a canopy off an old ARF that I had and discovered by shifting it back and forth I can get the profile to match my drawing pretty close with some trimming. I was going to carve the nose without a separate cowl but decided that it would be more work in the end. After carving the nose, I am going to lay cloth on it to make the cowl. Then I'll just cut the nose off at the firewall.

One more thing that I didn't think about that I have to overcome is the small size of the horizontal tail surfaces. Even though I am just going after stand-off scale, I have run into a snag on it. Increasing the area of those surfaces even slightly causes the vertical and horizontal to not line up at all. It will have a big visual impact. Plus, I am going to have to do some internet searching to find a good ratio of stab area to wing area.

I am not giving up. I am going to finish it. [img][/img]

I never try to reinvent the wheel. Here is the link to the Ziroli 54" plans offered by RCM : http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1387

These may help you with the issues you discussed. Hang in there

Pete