Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

topflit spitfire electric retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

topflit spitfire electric retracts

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:31 AM
GaryBarry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default topflit spitfire electric retracts

Hi there

I have purchased the topflite spitfire kit and am trying to decide on the best retract system for money. Will Lado electric retracts work with this plane (am concerned about outwards retracting gear which has ruled out mechanicals)? They seem to offer the simplicity of mechanical retracts without the drawbacks? How does the weight of these things compare to Robarts or Century Jet?
Thanks
Gareth
Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: topflit spitfire electric retracts

LADO's got a couple of non-rotating (Corsair, F6F, P40) and a couple of straight retracts (P51, P47).

For straight retracts, one version has the mounting flanges down into the cutout. The other has mounting flanges near the top of the cutout.

The straight retracts are designed to extend 80degrees, for both flange designs. They're designed for P51s etc, and retract inward, and are 80degrees so the struts are down correctly for P51s etc. When down, the struts are perpendicular to the ground. That's not only better looking but better structurally for the gear and the plane.

I have a H9 Spitfire and purchased the LADOs that are recommended. They recommend the same model for Spits they recommend for P51s, etc. When installed, the 80 degree swing (where 100 is needed) results in the struts splayed out as you'd expect. They don't look right for a Spit and they are going to give the gear more of a beating. Even good landings will hit the mechanism with side impact. Taxiing around is going to look funny, and it'll be side loading the mechanism.

There's a reason the retracts sold were designed to be 80degree sweep. Same reasons would apply for using a 100degree sweep on a Spitfire. I look forward to LADO offering a 100degree sweep, but they don't sell one today. MOF, the suggest the 80s for the Spit. My opinion of that is negative so better left unsaid.

Here's a picture of how the Spit gear looks when down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31220.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1294827  
Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, I modified the innards of my LADOs to work on my H9 Spit. I would NOT suggest to anyone that modifying them is a sensible solution. And would tell any weekend warrior not to even think about it.

However, I flew my Spit yesterday and it's an excellent flyer that's made even better with the rebuilt gear. LADO gear, like on my Corsair and P47, is an excellent design that's way easier to install and use than more expensive solutions we've had for years.

Ain't nothing looks like a Spit........ and dang if they don't fly awesome............

I just hope LADO does for the Spit what they did for the P51, P47 etc. and does it within my lifetime.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Down and Locked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys if you are in need of electric retracts at Down And Locked we offer conversions for most all brand's of retracts on the market old, new, air or mechanical, If interested take a look at www.downandlocked.com and visit the FAQ or feature's page for a full description of what these offer and how they work. Then give us a call or email we would love to hear from you. Thanks Mitch Stott