Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hostetler Curtiss Hawk P6E

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hostetler Curtiss Hawk P6E

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:57 PM
warbird110
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hostetler Curtiss Hawk P6E

Has anyone built this kit? I have the plans, but hesitant to purchase the wood kit - not much detail on the plans.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:35 PM
ispirit99

Default RE: Hostetler Curtiss Hawk P6E

One of my club members bought the Stinson full kit from him. My friend is also a good builder with 30 yrs. experience. He ran into some issues that the "very limited Instructions" did not explaine well so he called Wendell to get some clarification. He was not well received and didn't get much help. He was shocked at the shortness and attitude he got from his phone calls [as though Whendell didn't have the time or intrest to answer his questions]. With the help of other builders in the club, he managed to get the Stenson built and it is a good looking bird but he says he will never buy another kit from Wendell because of the way he felt he was treated. I have the discontinued Great Planes P-6E Hawk and also wanted Wendell's bigger scale kit but not being as good a builder as my friend, and based on his dissapointment about instructions or customer service decided to pass and hope someone else produces a giant scale P-6E Hawk sometime in the future.Hope this helps. You might call Wendell and see what kind of response you get for yourself before you decide.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a vendor and a long time acquaintance I will say that Wendell is a good guy. I will also say that you would NOT believe some of the questions we get. Before completely giving up on one of the few kit suppliers left I would have to say maybe Wendell was having a bad day. Sometimes what is intuitively obvious to the designer is completely lost on my little brain.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:50 PM
warbird110
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for your comments.
I also have the Great Planes Hawk. I've enjoyed the limited flights I've had with it. I was looking for a winter project, but I think I will keep looking. I have called Wendell a couple of times, but I don't get the help that I need. I was hoping to find a build thread, but have been unsuccessful. I also bought the plans for the Fairchild PT-19 - but again - not much detail.
Maybe I should stick with finishing my Ziroli Stearman.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:57 PM
ispirit99

It was not my intention to "Knock" Wendell or his product but when I guy save's up his cash to buy a kit he really wants to build, it's good to be given whatever attention he may need to get it bult. I understand "bad days" but when the money is spentaguy really would like and expects a little support. Wendell has some great kit's and has been building and designing for many years. When you are at the top of the game it's nice to remember some of us will never be as good as the guy who designed the kit. When you don't know somthing, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Wish I could get that P-6E Hawk kit but I probably would have a few dumb questions on how best to proceed. No harm intended. Just my way of thinking.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:18 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line, when you don't have access to the designer for whatever reason, there are more ways than one to get a question answered.

Like.......... ask the question in a forum. [X(]

A really good forum would be the Scratch Building/Aircraft Building Forum. It'll be the best place to find help from modelers who are glad to give it. Lot's of 'em have solved lots worse problems than you might be facing. And most important, they're people who have the time to answer.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chip_Mull

As a vendor and a long time acquaintance I will say that Wendell is a good guy. I will also say that you would NOT believe some of the questions we get. Before completely giving up on one of the few kit suppliers left I would have to say maybe Wendell was having a bad day. Sometimes what is intuitively obvious to the designer is completely lost on my little brain.

As a designer and supplier of plans, NO question should be turned away or considered "stupid" or "annoying", altho I am sure some may seem this way. I have had similar experiences with another well known designer, and it is not pleasant or acceptable. I have been building for 25 years, but questions do some up or something just does not make sense. This bad customer relation thing could cost the hobby another fine scratch builder, which we are in short supply of these days. Nick Ziroli, David P. Andersen, Dino DiGiorgio, Ty Brown and Greg Namey are a few classy examples of designer/suppliers that make themselves available to provide any and all help, and with great attitudes. I am sure there are more, but I know of more than a couple that do not fit this mold.