Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Servo Driven Retracts!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 Servo Driven Retracts!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Servo Driven Retracts!

Anyone out there had any positive experience with the Hangar 9 servo driven mechanical retracts used on their 150 size P-47 and P-51 and now the 60 size P-51? I'm doing some experimenting with some retracts on a 60 size Hurricane and was thinking about trying the Hangar 9 Retract bodies.

So if any of you have experience or have a set you'd like to donate or sell, let me know!

I'm going to eventually use the Lado-Tech, but there having issues getting product to market, but until I'm just having fun researching and trying different setups. My flying field has very thick grass, which usually hates 60 size models with wire gear, so I'm going to try stiffer oleo strut setup, with the landing gear move a little ahead of the leading edge!

Your advice is much appreciated!

Michael
Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Servo Driven Retracts!

I would avoid them. I did the same thing with my Mig 3, trying to save a buck. You would be better off biting the bullet and getting the apropriate Robarts. You can always add the Lado mechanism to those later if you would like. The H9 are very sensative to setup and do not lock well. It is just not worth it with the cost of props and damage to your plane when landing with a gear leg hanging. IMO they are serious POS!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The landing gear on my Hangar 9 Mustang (60) have been working just fine for 5 years. I spent about an hour making sure they were set right. Which is the key. About every 6 months I go through them and make sure they are still tight. No problems.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM
ozzie454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put flight #210 on my jug with the stock retracts and they work flawlessly. As Cowboy pointed out the biggest thing you can do to assure they work right is to invest the time to set them up properly. The biggest problem I've had with them is the cheap bolts they assemble them with and the brittle metal they build the oleo's out of. Find some 6061 alum tubing that just fits over the oleo and a thin coat of silicone to glue it on no more broken oleo's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34172.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1298068  
Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
jmohn

I wouldn't use them but they came with the kit. Like said above, if you set them up properly they work fine. I would not recommend them for any other plane though. Just get some Robart retracts and things will work much easier.

Jeff
Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All points well taken! You answered my questions! That's what great about RCU!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM
albsurfer

Don't use the H9 retracts. I have the H9 Spitfire MkII 60 and the retract wires are terrible. The right gear wire pivots and the set screws don't go all the way through the plastic retainer unit of the retract, so all they do is compress the plastic around the wire, and are more of a decoration. The left retract is rock solid and doesn't move. BOTH LG wires bent forward on a test taxi and dinged my plastic retract bays when I went to close them to put the plane away.