Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Looking for steel braided leader cable for rudder and tailwheel retracts??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Looking for steel braided leader cable for rudder and tailwheel retracts??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for steel braided leader cable for rudder and tailwheel retracts??

Looking for coated leader cable to actuate rudder and retract tailwheel. I have checked local sporting goods and can't seem to find it. Anybody have a source for this? Use to be able to buy it on spools of 25 ft. and different weights.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 AM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for steel braided leader cable for rudder and tailwheel retracts??

Hey Fred I just bought some off ebay. Its stainless steel wire in a clear vinyl sheath. I got two rolls, 1 50lb test and 1 60 lb test. I think 30 ft each. Other weights available. I bought mine for pull/pull tailwheel. $7.01 shipped from China.............Had some goofy name, but REALLY nice stuff. High quality.

No, seriously- HIGH QUALITY
Old 10-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for steel braided leader cable for rudder and tailwheel retracts??

I gotta believe you can find it at the fishing stores. You'll have to ask maybe. I bought some at walmart several years back. They dont seem to have it now. Its kinda easy to overlook when going down the isles. I fish too so I spend a lot of time in fishing depts and when I see it, I make note of it.
Edwin
Old 10-24-2009, 06:24 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get it mail order at Jann's Netcraft in Toledo,Ohio. do a google search for the web site. Once there do a search for Surflon.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Check6

I found the Janns site, that's just what I'm looking for. Also what size wire do you recommend for rudders and tailwheels?? I figure 60 lbs. should be sufficient. This is for large size Warbirds in the 86 to 100 in. span.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 10-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Check6

Hello R8893,
Thanks for the tip on Janns Netcraft. Just placed an order for the cable and the crush sleeves.
Great site!!
Thanks again for all the responses on RCU.
Fred
Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 PM
NCIS

My Corsair is 124" and I wanted the 135lb test leader line. But I didn't like the unsecure page problem. I guess I'll just wait until Monday and order it over the phone. I wonder if Gander Mountain would have it. I'll check that out firse. They seem to have about everything for fishing.

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 10-24-2009, 08:48 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Sullivan Products if you have a Good LHS[8D]
Old 10-24-2009, 09:53 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

Bass Pro / Outdoor World is the only retailer I can still find it at. One of the small fishing stores told me the manufactuer makes it cost prohibitive for small shops to buy as they have to buy such a large quanity to get the order placed.
As far as size or poundage I have never used anything larger than 40 lb even on my 1/3 scale 3D planes.

GaryM
Old 10-24-2009, 10:49 PM
HornetFitter
My Feedback: (2)

Wholesale Sports has Danielson bulk leader material and the appropriate crimp sleeves.
[link]http://www.wholesalesports.com/[/link]

Real Pro's Has it too...

[link]http://www.luremaking.com/[/link]

I have ordered from both and they are equally reputable.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:44 PM
NCIS

Gary,

What is the lb test of the 4-40 pull pull DuBro cable. I was going to use that and then a friend said he would make it real heavy duty for my size plane. I need to know pretty soon so I can sheet the fuse.

Barry