Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

I know that the geometry between the Spit and Hurri are different, but I was able to get the doors/struts on my Spit to work fine by tinkering with the compound angle that the gear needed to be mounted at, and way the doors mounted to the strut. I think I'll make a mock-up first to test the waters. Lenny's gear is very, very, sturdy so I'm not worried about that. I recall emailing Roy and him saying that other flyers using Gene Barton's gear, which does not rotate, had not mentioned any issues. I've sent him another email and I'll see what he says.
In the meantime, Rvander and flyfast1 please feel free to post some pix!
Sam
Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 AM
DaddySam

I'm trying to multi-task here! So I placed the gear over the plans and approximated the angles and took some pictures. I think it will work fine. Lenny built the gear to Roy's specs so I was hoping so. Here are some pix of the gear over the plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pn36417.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	1351045   Click image for larger version

Name:	up47081.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	505.9 KB
ID:	1351046   Click image for larger version

Name:	dj11695.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	1351047   Click image for larger version

Name:	rl26147.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	1351048  
Old 01-07-2010, 03:10 AM
qldviking

count me as subscribed too, I also have a set of vailey plans and I am slowly getting all the bits and pieces together. Balsa is looking to be my biggest headache, the last batch I ordered was only fit for firewood and got returned. Over 200 sheets from 1/16 to 1/2 inch and not one straight sheet, both warped and twisted, and full of splits [:'(][:@][:'(]

How much were your retracts? and where do you get them? Even the biggest hobby shop here in australia has nothing suitable, and if I "special" order I am going to be taken to the cleaners [:'(]
Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
DaddySam

Welcome aboard! I got my retracts from Lenny at Shindin Machine. Here is a link to the Hurricane retracts: [link=http://www.shindinmachine.com/HURRICANE/Hurrinov05.html]Shindin Machine Hurricane Retracts[/link] . I'm pretty sure I paid the listed $265 plus the $30 for the leg upgrade. They are massive. I hope to be able to add at least the major additional struts with styrene tubing or some thing that will look the part but not add drag or inhibit the mechanism.
Sorry to hear about the balsa situation down under. Would it be feasible for you to get it from the US? I've had great luck with both National Balsa and Balsa USA. I would think that there would be someplace close that would have goo stuff too.
Sam
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
qldviking

I have been in touch with several companies in the US, samne story across the board, they dont have enough quality balsa to worry about sending any over.

I had a look at those retracts, they look good and price isnt too painful either, many thanks, I have bookmarked the site.

So far I have a few goodies for my future build. I will be powering mine with a ST-6000 twin, which I am already in the process of making a new exhaust system to dump out the dummy exhausts, I have a tail wheel assembly and some nice light alloy wheels for all 3. I have all the servo's earmarked, as well as hardware, hinges etc. I am also tinkering with all hidden linkages to keep everything nice and clean, the elevators aree easy, and I dont see any major problems with ailerons or flaps. rudder will be pull as per full size.
I havent a clue as yet as the what scheme I will finish my baby in, I am actually considering doing the solid sheeting with alloy foil tape, and paint the rest black with red trim of some sort. I did have pics somewhere of a hurricdane in that livery, but I'm darned if I can find them [&:][:@] ah well, something to look for in quieter moments

I am enjoying watching your builds looking good
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
DaddySam

I just heard back from Roy Vaillancourt on the retract issue. He said that the only retracts that will keep the doors in the proper position when extended and retracted are Darrell's from Sierra Giant Scale. He said that prior to the new design, builders either lived with the problem or developed methods that allowed the door to pivot in order to lay flush with the wing surface. So, now I need to think about either mounting the doors so that they can pivot or saving up and buying some of Darrell's.
Sam
Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
qldviking

Thats a bummer, [&o] let us all know how you go

I've just spent a couple solid hours searching for pics of the scheme I had in mind without success, but I did find one I liked

Name:	Rp42211.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1351204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67736.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1351205  
Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM
DaddySam

I can be kind of impulsive at times, so I am going to figure out a way to .....drum roll.......buy some of Darrell's retracts. Since I'm building two Hurricanes, I'll use the Shindin in one and Darrell's in the other. If I ever do scale competition I'll put Darrell's in that bird. Now to figure out how to come up iwth the $$$$.
Sam
Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Moggy

Sam

EBAY$$$$$$$$$$

Moggy
Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM
DaddySam

Well, I was afraid that Darrell would run out of stock when I had the money in hand next month so I PM'd him. And I did not want to wait for the next run! So now thanks to Visa and Darrell I have a set heading my way! WHooeeee! I'll post plenty of details when they arrive.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Rvander
My Feedback: (81)

I have been flying the hurricane for 2 seasons with the Shindin retracts and they work fantastic. Lenny is great, and he is making me up a set for the tempest I am building. the hurricane is solid..must keep it light.......I have no expo in the elevator, but plenty of flap (servo for each) when landing.

Name:	Ec87632.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1351474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62209.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1351475  
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
DaddySam

Those are wonderful pictures of your Hurricane. Can I persuade you to post some more? Your uncommonly light weight has really given me a target to aim for. Do you have any video by chance?
Sam
Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM
DaddySam

Talk about a sick mind (me that is)! While on the phone with Darrell today he reminded me that he makes a scale tailwheel fork. I thought about it all afternoon and have decided to go for it. Maybe there's a treatment facility for this type of illness I think it's called the workshop.
Sam
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rvander,
It blows me away that you built one of these that weighs in at 22lbs. I bought one already built that weighs 33lbs. and barely gets off the ground with a G62. I'm wondering what I can do to lighten this fat girl. Any suggestions??
Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

Talk about a sick mind (me that is)! While on the phone with Darrell today he reminded me that he makes a scale tailwheel fork. I thought about it all afternoon and have decided to go for it. Maybe there's a treatment facility for this type of illness I think it's called the workshop.
Sam

Hello,

I have the tail wheel from Sierra (along with the mains) and it is indeed beautiful and quite stout. Unfortunately, it is very heavy! I kept the tail gear fork, but replaced the wheel, it was just too heavy. It takes a lot of weight up front to balance that fork!

-Ed B.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
DaddySam

That's good information. You're the second builder to say that, so I have no doubt that it is stout. I am hoping to save enough weight on the tail that I can use it without a penalty, but if it proves too heavy I'll use it for display and when it comes to flying I'll install a wire assembly and a foam tailwheel. I have two tailwheels for my TFGS Corsair, and I can adjust the CG by 1/4" just by swapping them! I think I just ordered the fork, so either way I'll be using a light wheel.
Sam
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Moggy

Sam

At least you don't have to put a retract in the tail. I ordered a fork for my YA Spit from Sierra and I can concur it is heavy but very nice indeed. What weight are you targeting for the Huri? Most I have seen were at best around 28 -30 lbs.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM
DaddySam

Moggy,
Rvander has lowered the bar for this bird, and I aim to be as close to that as possible. I even broke down and ordered a digital scale to weigh the balsa I'm putting in the tailplane. I'm working on three different stabs right now, two of the balsa core style and one that is basically Roy's design but with 1/16" contest sheeting on the forward and outer edge only (scale locations), and lightening holes in the ribs. Once I get one of each done I'll weigh and make my choice. My servos and batteries will be as far forward as I can get them. I've got some 48" carbon fiber tube for pushrods, and I'll do the rudder with pull-pull. I know that others have finished their Hurricanes at 25lbs and then had to add 5 lbs of lead in the nose. I aim to really have light plane aft of the CG and put all the gear I can up front.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
qldviking

on the subject of tailwheel assemblies, I have noticed there are 2 different types, 2 pics showing a mk2 and a mk 12. food for thought depending on which model you are building

Name:	Ig12230.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1351963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93634.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1351964  
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 PM
DaddySam

Well I have been working on the two stabs, and I have to say that as they get closer to sheeting they seem to weigh close to the same amount! I've actually ordered a scale to weigh parts, so that I can really sort balas and anything that is going behind the CG. When it gets here I'll post the weights. I know that sheeting, even only in the scale locations, will add some rigidity, but without the sheeting Roy's design is much stiffer. I am surprised about the apparent similarity in weight though....

Name:	bz79242.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	1352915  
Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Moggy

Wow, I can't imagine finishing at 25lbs and then having to add 5lbs up front. I am contemplating a BT Spit MK II but that may be somewhat of the same situation as the Huri. Is flite skin lighter than balsa?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM
DaddySam

I have not used fliteskin, but am going to order some next week for traililng edges, wheel wells, and flap lining. I suspect it could be lighter depending on the finishing technique you use. I have two 83" BT Spits in queue to build after the Hurricanes. I've been collecting pieces for them for a long time too. One will have Vic's fiberglass fuse and one will be built up. I don't think I'll build them at the same time like the Hurricanes, but you never know. Vic said his BT Spit with the 3w-50 was a bit over 20 lbs. I think the shorter nose of the Mk1 through MkV would challenge a builder not to add nose weight, but the BT Spits build so much lighter than the Pica I think that just by choosing wood carefully, using standard lightening techniques, and moving all equipment and batteries close to the front would make ballast minimal. Kelly, if you're reading this what say you regarding your BT Spitty? Any guesses on the MK1? I do know that Barry Dallweg (hope I spelled his name right) built a MK1 over on that other scale-oriented board, and he scaled it out to the max but did have to add a fair amount of weight. I would contact Vic and see what he says.
Sam
Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sam, My spitty is nose heavy. The only thing I can see is the 12 copper 45s that I made in to exhaust pipes. Also the F/G cowl is very heavy (IMO). Sorry I don't know anything about the Vic BT spitty.

I'm very intrested in this build, I was thinking of a Vally Typhoon or Tempest. But I'm heard that Roy's stuff has the highest parts count of any kit. Don't know is I'm ready for that challenge yet.

Post lots ot pics.

Kelly

Name:	Wu59865.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1353684  
Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
DaddySam

My stringer balsa came last week so I've got both fuses strung to about the same point. I put a few on the bottom just to keep me from breaking the formers as I knock them about the shop. I want to leave as much open space as possible while I route linkages. I'll be finishing up the tail sections soon and then can route the linkages.
Sam

Name:	hf97562.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	1353819   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc93747.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	1353820  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM
DaddySam

One of the tailwheels arrived so I've posted a pic to compare it to the one I had. It's a beaut! Thanks Scalenutz! I also have been busy on the stabs. I am learning how important it is to draw accurate centerlines and have tight right angles. The ply outer frame looked straight but when I began to attach the ribs I could see it was slightly twisted. I finally figured out that if I glued the tip of the rib to the outer frame, and THEN glued the base of the rib to the leading edge on the center line and and a right angle, it would automatically straighten the frame. I glued the two end ribs first and then filled in the middle ribs.

Name:	ig11607.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	1354594   Click image for larger version

Name:	ni22886.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	1354595   Click image for larger version

Name:	pv53377.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	1354596   Click image for larger version

Name:	sl27439.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	1354597  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.