Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Err, um, may be time for another clue.....
Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Red B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What aircraft is this:

1) Its designer earned his doctorate in physics (subject: aerodynamics) prior to WWI
2) The aircraft was exported to a country that was neutral during WWI
3) The company used the badge shown in post #6144, on the cowling of its aircraft (retouched to remove the manufacturers namne)
4) In contrast to most of its contemporaries, the aircraft was a monoplane.

Three more clues:
5) The engine was not a Le RhΓ΄ne 9, but it would be difficult to tell the engines apart.
6) The designer of the aircraft was killed while demonstrating the aircraft during an exhibition
7) Following the death of the designer, aircraft production was terminated and the company began producing cars. The first model is shown in the picture below. I have retouched the registration plate.

I'm sorry about the delay in posting clues. I posted number 4 by editing my first post, which was probably not the best way of doing it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81807.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1696108  
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Red B.

This seems to be a tricky one

What aircraft is this:

1) Its designer earned his doctorate in physics (subject: aerodynamics) prior to WWI
3) The company used the badge shown in post #6144, on the cowling of its aircraft (retouched to remove the manufacturers namne)

Three more clues:
5) The engine was NOT a Le RhΓ΄ne 9, but it would be difficult to tell the engines apart.
6) The designer of the aircraft was killed while demonstrating the aircraft during an exhibition
7) Following the death of the designer, aircraft production was terminated and the company began producing cars. The first model is shown in the picture in post #6146. I have retouched the registration plate.

Two more clues:
8) There is an ARF model of this aircraft available, which is distributed in the U.S. as well as in other countries.
9) The ARF model is NOT manufactured in China.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:17 PM
The Raven

Deperdussin Monocoque?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Red B.

Good guess, but no. It is not a French aircraft. Is there really a Deperdussin ARF?

What aircraft is this:

Three more clues:
5) The engine was NOT a Le RhΓ΄ne 9, but it would be difficult to tell the engines apart.
7) Following the death of the designer, aircraft production was terminated and the company began producing cars. The first model is shown in the picture in post #6146. I have retouched the registration plate.

Two more clues:
8) There is an ARF model of this aircraft available, which is distributed in the U.S. as well as in other countries.

And another one:
10) The aircraft is not from France, but the design is strongly influenced by contemporary French aircraft.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Red B.

What aircraft is this:

Three more clues:

Two more clues:

And another one:
10) The aircraft is not from France, but the design is strongly influenced by contemporary French aircraft.

More clues:
11) The aircraft at first used wing warping and an all-flying stabilizer, but later on some were modified with ailerons and a fixed stabilizer with elevators.
13) The aircraft was marketed as a fighter, but performance and armament wasn't good enough so it was used as an "advanced trainer".
12) The export version of the aircraft had wing roundels on the top surface of its wings as shown below.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Halftrack99
My Feedback: (1)

All of this does sound like the wright flyer. Is that it?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Halftrack99

My other guess would be the Antoinette?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Red B.

No, it is neither the Wright Flyer nor the Antoinette. The aircraft I am looking for was producd late during WW1 and is of European origin.

What aircraft is this:

Three more clues:

Two more clues:

And another one:

More clues:
11) The aircraft at first used wing warping and an all-flying stabilizer, but later on some were modified with ailerons and a fixed stabilizer with elevators.
12) The aircraft was marketed as a fighter, but performance and armament wasn't good enough so it was used as an "advanced trainer".
13) The export version of the aircraft had wing roundels on the top surface of its wings as shown in post #6150

Some more hints that might simplify things a bit:

14) It is a single-seat, mid-wing aircraft, but for training purposes a couple of two-seaters were also built
15) The company producing the aircraft was established in 1914
16) Late in WWII John Wayne starred in a movie with a name that should help you identify the name of the U.S. distributor of the ARF model mentioned in hint #8.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
The Raven

This one is bugging me. Could it be the Blackburn Type L?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: The Raven

This one is bugging me. Could it be the Blackburn Type L?
No, unfortunately not. The aircraft I am looking for is a monoplane (clue 4).

What aircraft is this:

Three more clues:

Two more clues:

And another one:

More clues:
12) The aircraft was marketed as a fighter, but performance and armament wasn't good enough so it was used as an "advanced trainer".
13) The export version of the aircraft had wing roundels on the top surface of its wings as shown in post #6150

Some more hints that might simplify things a bit:

14) It is a single-seat, mid-wing aircraft, but for training purposes a couple of two-seaters were also built
15) The company producing the aircraft was established in 1914
16) Late in WWII John Wayne starred in a movie with a name that should help you identify the name of the U.S. distributor of the ARF model mentioned in hint #8.

Maybe a more specific clue might help:

17) In 1912 the AΓ©ro-Club de France issued International Aviator Certificate #1314 to the designer of the aircraft.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:33 AM
The Raven

Thulin K
Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bleriot?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duuuh...forgot...aircraft not from France
Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Red B.

Thulin K
Yes indeed, it really is the Thulin K. Congratulations! The stage is yours.

Here is a link with general information on Enoch Thulin and his aircraft: [link=http://www.bjorns-story.se/private/Enoch%20Thulinhtm/thulinrummet_eng.htm]Enoch Thulin[/link]

Clarifications on some of the clues:

The Royal Netherlands Navy bought 12 aircraft between 1917 and 1918 and an additional three of the two-seater version, Thulin KA.

3) The company used the badge shown below on the cowling of its aircraft.

The company KalderΓ©n&Welch Model Airplane Inc. are manufacturers of a very nice range of WW1 aircraft: [link=http://www.kwmairpl.com.ph/KWPlanesDatasheets.asp?DatasheetCodeQ=RC-01SW]Thulin K ARF[/link]

In contrast to most ARFs, which are made in China the K&W range of aircraft are manufactured in the Philippines

The movie is "The fighting Sea Bees" from 1944 and the company that distribute the K&W range of aircraft in the U.S. is [link=http://www.3seabees.com/]3 Sea Bees Models Inc.[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44173.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1697597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24623.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1697598  
Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Mein Duff

Bleriot?

When I was trying to solve this I came across the fact that the Bleriot XI was basically a Thulin A with a different engine.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM
The Raven

Give me a little time to think of a new question. Thinking cap on [:@]
Old 12-10-2011, 08:40 PM
The Raven

What aircraft am I:

1. I was a cancelled platform that never saw active service.
2. Some of my features were leading edge for the time, some of which were adapted for later aircraft designs.
3. I have a very recognizable feature.
4. I had two official designations but only one is common today.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 AM
a65l

McDonnell XP-67
Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What aircraft am I:

2. Some of my features were leading edge for the time, some of which were adapted for later aircraft designs.

Sound like the B-70 bomber, so far. Known as the XB-70, as well as the YB-70, it had very noticeable canards. It was never put into production, but some of its features were definitely used on later aircraft. Thanks; Ernie P.

The North American Aviation XB-70 Valkyrie was the prototype version of the proposed B-70 nuclear-armed deep-penetration strategic bomber for the United States Air Force's (USAF) Strategic Air Command. Designed by North American Aviation in the late 1950s, the Valkyrie was a large six-engined aircraft able to fly Mach 3+ at an altitude of 70,000 feet (21,000 m), which would have allowed it to avoid interceptors, the only effective anti-bomber weapon at the time.

The introduction of effective high-altitude surface-to-air missiles (SAMs), the program's high development costs, and changes in the technological environment with the introduction of intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBMs) led to the cancellation of the B-70 program in 1961. Although the proposed fleet of operational B-70 bombers was canceled, two prototype aircraft were built as the XB-70A and used in supersonic test flights from 1964 to 1969. One prototype crashed following a midair collision in 1966; the other is on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Ohio.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:26 PM
The Raven

Sorry, not the XP-67
Old 12-11-2011, 11:27 PM
The Raven

Ernie is on the right track, just heading in the wrong direction.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 PM
The Raven

What aircraft am I:

5. As a cancelled platform, I had little more than a year of operation.
6. Pilots were concerned about my most recognizable feature.
7. My maiden flight was a success, but not my landing.
8. I could carry a nuclear weapon.
9. Of the few built, only one failed to survive today.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 AM
a65l

Not the TSR-2 then....
Old 12-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Halftrack99

YF-12?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.