Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Every time I think that I have a bead on who this might be some piece of the puzzle just doesn't quite fit into all the clues that Ernie had laid down for us. Got to give you props for having a good question here Ernie.

Just out of curiosity Ernie, what is the longest puzzle/quiz that you've had run here??? How many questions/clues???

Ken
Ken;

Sorry, I just realized I never really responded to your question. I have trouble doing a search on RCUniverse, but two questions come to mind as being the most enjoyable. Thanks; Ernie P.

The first was "What warbird pilot do I describe?"
One clue was "He was his country's highest scoring ace" and another was "He flew an all red Albatross D-3".
The answer was, of course, Austrian ace Godwin Brumowski

The second was "What warbird do I describe"
One clue was "It was the first production warbird to fly solely with rocket power"
The answer was, of course, The Heinkel He-112; one of which was modified to fly under rocket power as part of the testing of German rocket engines. The He-112 was a production aircraft; and one of them did fly using only rocket power.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) He isn’t at the top of any of the lists, but he was a truly great fighter pilot.

(2) He fought in three different areas of the war.

(3) He was never shot down.

(4) But he was forced into an emergency landing on a few occasions.

(5) He suffered engine failure while over enemy territory, and was captured; ending his war.

(6) He was noted for deliberately letting a particular type of enemy aircraft, one of his favorite opponents, get on his tail. He would then execute a particular maneuver, which placed him on his opponent’s tail; whereupon he would shoot it down.

(7) He originally joined the air force as a mechanic; but always intended to become a pilot.

(8) His aircraft is one often modeled.

(9) Some reports indicate his aircraft was never hit by an enemy aircraft; all his forced landings being from mechanical problems or ground fire.

(10) He claimed his first victory two months after being posted to combat duty.

(11) After a year in combat, he had scored 21 victories.

(12) After this, he was transferred to a second operational area.

(13) He served in the second area for around three months; scoring enough victories to make a name for himself.

(14) He was then transferred to a different area within his first operational area.

(15) Despite his relatively high scores, he was then assigned to ground support activities within a third operational area; where he served for the remainder of his wartime flying.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) He isn’t at the top of any of the lists, but he was a truly great fighter pilot.

(5) He suffered engine failure while over enemy territory, and was captured; ending his war.

(6) He was noted for deliberately letting a particular type of enemy aircraft, one of his favorite opponents, get on his tail. He would then execute a particular maneuver, which placed him on his opponent’s tail; whereupon he would shoot it down.

(7) He originally joined the air force as a mechanic; but always intended to become a pilot.

(9) Some reports indicate his aircraft was never hit by an enemy aircraft; all his forced landings being from mechanical problems or ground fire.

(13) He served in the second area for around three months; scoring enough victories to make a name for himself.

(14) He was then transferred to a different area within his first operational area.

(15) Despite his relatively high scores, he was then assigned to ground support activities within a third operational area; where he served for the remainder of his wartime flying.

(16) He was born during WWI.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(16) He was born during WWI

(17) Half his victims were single engine fighters.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Ernie P.

(Early) Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(18) He shot down several twin engine fighters.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Ernie P.

(Early) Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

Old 10-30-2014, 01:34 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. 18 clues and not a single guess? You guys are better than that! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(19) He shot down a number of four engine bombers.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:35 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. 18 clues and not a single guess? You guys are better than that! Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

Old 10-30-2014, 01:45 AM
Ernie P.

Default Morning clue

Clues:

Old 10-30-2014, 03:05 AM
Ernie P.

I apologize for the repeats posts, guys. It's not deliberate. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:10 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this Air Force the USAAF or some other Air Force?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:46 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suspect he could be German because he "shot down some four engine bombers" and "suffered engine failure while over enemy territory".
Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. No; he wasn't USAAF, as this latest clue will show. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(20) In one four month stretch, he shot down 40 aircraft.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erich Hartmann?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Hartmann
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS

No, not Hartmann. But this morning clue should help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) He was German.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. I really thought we'd be done by this point. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) He was German.

(22) None of his aerial victories were against Russian aircraft.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:32 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) He was German.

(23) But, most of his ground targets were located in Russian held territory.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:54 AM
HoundDog

What were his exact total number of Kills? PLZ
Old 11-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
What were his exact total number of Kills? PLZ

Sorry, HoundDog; that would make it just a bit too easy. But this may help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) He was German.

(24) He was first assigned to Western Europe.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) He was German.

(25) Then he was assigned to North Africa.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) He was German.

(26) Then back to Western Europe, defending the Reich.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:32 AM
HoundDog

Is the German gentleman in question on this list?
Now this can't make it too easy. Would it?
[h=1]List of World War II aces from Germany[/h]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_from_Germany
Old 11-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Ernie P.

Is the German gentleman in question on this list?
Now this can't make it too easy. Would it?
List of World War II aces from Germany

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_from_Germany

Yes, Sir; his name is on that list. And, as a bonus clue, he scored over 100 victories. Of course, as a German WWII pilot, that doesn't narrow it down too much; so I'll toss in a bonus clue for your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) He was German.

(27) Finally, he was assigned to the Russian front; assigned to support ground operations attempting to halt the Red Army’s advance.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:30 PM
HoundDog

Had to read a lot of biography of German WWII Aces but this one fits
Kurt Bühligen (13 December 1917 – 11 August 1985)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_B%C3%BChligen

Military career

He initially joined the Luftwaffe as a mechanic, before transferring to flying training during 1938–39. In July 1940 he was posted to Jagdgeschwader 2 (JG 2) as an Unteroffizier pilot.

Bühligen claimed his first aerial victory — a Hawker Hurricane over Kent — on 4 September 1940 and was awarded the Ritterkreuz a year later after 20 further claims.

In December 1942 Bühligen served with II./JG 2 in Tunisia and North Africa, claiming some 40 Allied kills before returning to Europe in March 1943. By March 1944 he had scored 96 kills and was now a Major in command of II./JG 2. After 12 more kills Bühligen led JG 2 in carrying out operations against the Soviet advance on the Eastern Front. In early 1945, now Geschwaderkommodore of JG 2, an engine failure caused Bühligen to be taken prisoner by the Soviets, being finally released in 1950.

He shot down some 112 enemy aircraft in over 700 operations, becoming the fourth highest Luftwaffe scorer against the Western Allies. All his victories were claimed over the Western Front and North Africa and included 47 Spitfires and 46 United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) victims; 13 P-38, 9 P-47 and 24 four-engine bombers. He was never shot down but had to make emergency landings on 3 occasions. His final command was Geschwaderkommodore of the JG 2 fighter wing.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-02-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Ernie P.

Had to read a lot of biography of German WWII Aces but this one fits
Kurt Bühligen (13 December 1917 – 11 August 1985)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_B%C3%BChligen

Military career

He initially joined the Luftwaffe as a mechanic, before transferring to flying training during 1938–39. In July 1940 he was posted to Jagdgeschwader 2 (JG 2) as an Unteroffizier pilot.

Bühligen claimed his first aerial victory — a Hawker Hurricane over Kent — on 4 September 1940 and was awarded the Ritterkreuz a year later after 20 further claims.

In December 1942 Bühligen served with II./JG 2 in Tunisia and North Africa, claiming some 40 Allied kills before returning to Europe in March 1943. By March 1944 he had scored 96 kills and was now a Major in command of II./JG 2. After 12 more kills Bühligen led JG 2 in carrying out operations against the Soviet advance on the Eastern Front. In early 1945, now Geschwaderkommodore of JG 2, an engine failure caused Bühligen to be taken prisoner by the Soviets, being finally released in 1950.

He shot down some 112 enemy aircraft in over 700 operations, becoming the fourth highest Luftwaffe scorer against the Western Allies. All his victories were claimed over the Western Front and North Africa and included 47 Spitfires and 46 United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) victims; 13 P-38, 9 P-47 and 24 four-engine bombers. He was never shot down but had to make emergency landings on 3 occasions. His final command was Geschwaderkommodore of the JG 2 fighter wing.
HoundDog, you have certainly done your research and well deserve asking the next question. Yes, Kurt Buhligen it is. Congratulations, Sir. We await your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(21) He was German.

(27) Finally, he was assigned to the Russian front; assigned to support ground operations attempting to halt the Red Army’s advance.

(28) He flew both the Bf-109 and the Fw-190.

(29) He finished up with the Fw-190; operating in a ground attack role.

(30) He was taken prisoner by Russian forces in early 1945.

Answer: Kurt Buhligen

Kurt Bühligen (13 December 1917 – 11 August 1985) was a German World War II flying ace who served in the Luftwaffe from 1936 until early 1945. Credited with downing 112 enemy aircraft, he received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords.

Kurt Buhligen was born in 1917. He had a strong desire to fly so he joined the Luftwaffe on its inception. He joined initially as a mechanic but his forceful character soon qualified him as fighter pilot material. The Luftwaffe accepted his request for a transfer, and he underwent pilot training throughout 1938 – 1939. By July 1940 he was assigned to JG2 Richthofen. He scored his first victory on 4th September 1940 during the Battle of Britain, one year later his score had risen to 21. In December 1942 he was transferred to Tunisia, where he showed what a true fighter pilot he was – shooting down no less than forty aircraft. Transferred back to the west in defence of his homeland in early 1943, his score had reached 96. By 1944 he had shot down his 100th victim. While flying over Soviet held territory his engine malfunctioned and he was forced to land. He was captured by the Russians and held as a POW until 1950. He had scored a total of 112 victories. Buhligen loved to fight P-47s. He would let the P-47 get on his tail, then would do an Immelmann Loop, come up on the P-47s tail and shoot it down. He was awarded the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords. Buhligen died at his home on 11th August 1985.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.