Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:14 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bac tsr-2?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Bac tsr-2?

No, JohnnyS; although it isn't a bad guess. Maybe this evening clue will assist. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

1. At the time of its introduction, this aircraft could claim to be the world’s most advanced of its type; whatever that statement might mean.

1. Developed as a collaboration between several companies.

1. And two countries.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. At the time of its introduction, this aircraft could claim to be the world’s most advanced of its type; whatever that statement might mean.

1. And two countries.

1. Initial structural problems delayed the type’s introduction.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. Essentially, this aircraft could be considered the further development of an existing type.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. Essentially, this aircraft could be considered the further development of an existing type.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Ernie P.

Big evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. A new type of wing was utilized; although one which has been proposed for use some time before, on the original aircraft.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:24 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of clues ago, I'd have said SEPECAT Jaguar...
Old 03-01-2015, 05:11 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by perttime
A couple of clues ago, I'd have said SEPECAT Jaguar...

Not the Jaguar, Perttime. Maybe this morning clue will get you pointed in the right direction. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. A new type of wing was utilized; although one which has been proposed for use some time before, on the original aircraft.

1. An engineering concept had been developed to improve/update an existing aircraft.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM
zippome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for giggles....
How about the U.S.S. Akron?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by zippome
Just for giggles....
How about the U.S.S. Akron?
Well, that's an answer I wasn't expecting. Hmmm..... I'll have to check that out.... It actually may fit.... But it isn't where we need to be looking, Zip. This afternoon clue may help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. An engineering concept had been developed to improve/update an existing aircraft.

1. That concept had never been fully put into operation; although some features were utilized in production aircraft.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. That concept had never been fully put into operation; although some features were utilized in production aircraft.

1. When another country decided to build a new aircraft, the decision was made to utilize the never adopted concept to create a new and advanced aircraft.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. When another country decided to build a new aircraft, the decision was made to utilize the never adopted concept to create a new and advanced aircraft.

1. The new aircraft also used advanced or updated electronics.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:00 AM
perttime

So, it had electronics...
I haven't got a clue.
Ernie P, you have the thing with multiple lists with only one item in each list, again.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:38 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by perttime
So, it had electronics...
I haven't got a clue.
Ernie P, you have the thing with multiple lists with only one item in each list, again.
Yeah; it had electronics. And, it utilized some electronics never before used in a combat aircraft. I'm still working on the multiple lists thing. When I post the clues, I see numbers; but then they disappear. Maybe this will work better. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  2. Developed as a collaboration between several companies.
  3. And two countries.
  4. Initial structural problems delayed the type’s introduction.
  5. Essentially, this aircraft could be considered the further development of an existing type.
  6. A new type of wing was utilized; although one which has been proposed for use some time before, on the original aircraft.
  7. An engineering concept had been developed to improve/update an existing aircraft.
  8. That concept had never been fully put into operation; although some features were utilized in production aircraft.
  9. When another country decided to build a new aircraft, the decision was made to utilize the never adopted concept to create a new and advanced aircraft.
  10. The new aircraft also used advanced or updated electronics.
  11. One new electronic feature had never before been used in a combat aircraft.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. One new electronic feature had never before been used in a combat aircraft.

1. It was a fighter.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Ernie P.

Now that was interesting.... Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:42 AM
JohnnyS

Mitsubishi F-2?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:41 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. It was a fighter.
[h=1]F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter[/h]
Old 03-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Mitsubishi F-2?
And JohnnyS nails it again! Actually, in many ways, it was simply the never built F-16 Agile Falcon; but the story of how it came to be, as a Japanese aircraft, is fascinating. You're up, JohnnyS; what is your question? Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

1. And two countries.

1. It was a fighter.

1. Interestingly, around 25% of the aircraft produced were two seat trainers.

Answer: The Mitsubishi F-2 Viper Zero

The F-16 Agile Falcon was an engineering concept developed by General Dynamics in the 1980s. It was essentially an enlarged and updated F-16. Some features would be incorporated in Block 40 F-16, as well as forming the basis for the JASDF F-2.
The concept caused more interest in Japan, who essentially executed the Agile Falcon concept with further updated electronics as the F-2 developed in the 1990s and entering service in 2000 with a 60/40 split between Japan and the United States. General Dynamics aircraft division was sold to Lockheed Martin in the early 1990s, so Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) and Lockheed Martin were the primary developers. It remains in production as of 2006. While the F-16 Agile Falcon may not have been developed, the enlarged F-16 concept was borne out and succeeded technically (after some teething problems) for the JASDF.

The Mitsubishi F-2 (nickname: "Viper Zero") is a multirole fighter manufactured by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) and Lockheed Martin for the Japan Air Self-Defense Force, with a 60/40 split in manufacturing between Japan and the USA. Production started in 1996 and the first aircraft entered service in 2000. The first 76 aircraft entered service in 2008, with a total of 94 airframes under contract. The first AESA Active electronically scanned array radar on a combat aircraft was the J/APG-1 introduced on the Mitsubishi F-2 in 1995. In FY2005, Ministry of Defense changed the category from Support Fighter to Fighter.

Work started in the FS-X program, initially given the company designation Mitsubishi SX-3, and began in earnest with a memorandum of understanding between Japan and the United States. It would lead to a new fighter based on the General Dynamics (post 1993, Lockheed Martin) F-16 Fighting Falcon, and in particular the F-16 Agile Falcon proposal. Lockheed Martin was chosen as the major subcontractor to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and the two companies co-developed and co-produced the aircraft. The F-2 used the wing design of the F-16 Agile Falcon, but much of the electronics were further updated to 1990s standards.

In October 1987, Japan selected the F-16 as the basis of its new secondary fighter, to replace the aging Mitsubishi F-1 and supplement its main air superiority fighter, the F-15J as well as the F-4EJ. The programme involved technology transfer from the USA to Japan, and responsibility for cost sharing was split 60% by Japan and 40% by USA.

Mitsubishi AAM-4 air-to-air missile

The F-2 program was controversial, because the unit cost, which includes development costs, is roughly four times that of a Block 50/52 F-16, which does not include development costs. Inclusion of development costs distorts the incremental unit cost (this happens with most modern military aircraft), though even at the planned procurement levels, the price per aircraft was somewhat high. The initial plan of 141 F-2s would have reduced the unit cost by up to US$10 million(7,5 million) per unit, not including reduced cost from mass production. As of 2008, 94 aircraft were planned. Also controversial is the amounts claimed to be paid to American side as various licensing fees, although making use of the pre-existing technology was much cheaper than trying to develop it from scratch.

The F-2's maiden flight was on 7 October 1995. Later that year, the Japanese government approved an order for 141 (but that was soon cut to 130), to enter service by 1999; structural problems resulted in service entry being delayed until 2000. Because of issues with cost-efficiency, orders for the aircraft were curtailed to 98 (including four prototypes) in 2004.

The last of 94 production aircraft ordered under contract was delivered to the Defense Ministry on 27 September 2011. During the roll-out ceremony of the last production F-2 fighter jet, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries confirmed that production of the F-2 would end and no more F-2 fighters will be produced by the manufacturer. As of 2014[SUP][update][/SUP] there are 61 single-seaters flying, and 21 two-seat trainers.

General Electric (engine), Kawasaki, Honeywell, Raytheon, NEC, Hazeltine, and Kokusai Electric are among the other larger participants to varying degrees. Lockheed Martin supplies the aft fuselage, leading-edge slats, stores management system, a large portion of wing boxes (as part of two-way technology transfer agreements), and other components. Kawasaki builds the midsection of the fuselage, as well as the doors to the main wheel and the engine, while forward fuselage and wings are built by Mitsubishi. Avionics are supplied by Lockheed Martin, and the digital fly-by-wire system has been jointly developed by Japan Aviation Electric and Honeywell (formerly Allied Signal). Contractors for communication systems and IFF interrogators include Raytheon, NEC, Hazeltine, and Kokusai Electric. Final assembly is done in Japan, by MHI at its Komaki-South facility in Nagoya.

Larger wings give better payload and maneuverability, but also tend to add weight to the airframe in various ways. More weight can have negative effects on acceleration, climbing, payload, and range. To make the larger wings lighter the skin, spars, ribs and cap of the wings were made from graphite-epoxy composite and co-cured in an autoclave. This was the first application of co-cured technology to a production tactical fighter. This technology for the wings encountered some teething problems, but proved to be a leading-edge use of a technology that provides weight savings, improved range, and some stealth benefits. This technology was then transferred back to America, as part of the program’s industrial partnership.

The F-2 has three display screens, including a liquid crystal display from Yokogawa.

F-2 planform compared to F-16

Some differences in the F-2 from the F-16A:

Also, the F-2 is equipped with a drogue parachute, like the version of the F-16 used by Korea, Netherlands, Norway, Greece, Turkey, Indonesia, Taiwan, and Venezuela.

On 7 February 2013, two Russian Air Force Sukhoi Su-27 fighters briefly entered Japanese airspace off Rishiri Island near Hokkaido, flying south over the Sea of Japan before turning back to the north. Four F-2 fighters were scrambled to visually confirm the Russian planes, warning them by radio to leave their airspace. A photo taken by a JASDF pilot of one of the two Su-27s was released by the Japan Ministry of Defense. Russia denied the incursion, saying the jets were making routine flights near the disputed Kuril Islands.

On 22 August, 2013, two Russian Air Force Tupolev Tu-95 bombers entered Japanese airspace near the major southern island of Kyushu for less than 2 minutes. F-2 fighters were scrambled in response.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:24 PM
JohnnyS

Thanks! That was interesting!

Now I have to come up with something. Hmmm...

OK, here's one.

1. Crew of this specific warbird was up to 5 people.
2. Purpose was reconnaisance.
3. This type of warbird was a difficult, if not impossible target for opposing militaries at the time this specific warbird was in use.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 AM
JohnnyS

Yet another clue...

3. This type of warbird was a difficult, if not impossible target for opposing militaries at the time this specific warbird was in use.
4. Although it was a reconnaissance platform, neither radio nor photography were used to communicate.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:24 AM
perttime

Hmmm... I doubt the Compagnie d'Aérostiers "L'Intrépide" could carry a crew of 5
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM
JohnnyS

Ooh...

GOOD guess and closer than you may think!

New clue:
4. Although it was a reconnaissance platform, neither radio nor photography were used to communicate.
5. Several senior generals in the army flew in this type of warbird. One of the generals who flew in this type of warbird went on to become a metaphor for screwing up.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps the Civil War observation balloon "Intrepid." The Union had two balloons which could take five people up: the Intrepid and the Union. I picked Intrepid because I found a reference to Custer's going up in it at the siege of Yorktown, a battle at which the Union wasn't present (I think).

Added: I wrote this before3 seeing Perttime's post and your re3ply, which seem to confirm my guess about the specific balloon.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 03-03-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add a note
Old 03-03-2015, 01:14 PM
JohnnyS

Top_Gunn,

Exactly correct: Well done!!!

http://www.civilwar.org/education/hi...allooning.html has a pretty interesting writeup on these balloons.

I was REALLY surprised when the very first guess was a balloon named Intrepid, just a previous generation in France. That's about as close as you can get without being correct!

Over to you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.