Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 04:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, let's start off with the F-4 Phantom II
It was designed as an interceptor and ended up being used as a strike fighter, air superiority fighter, photo recon platform, Wild Weasel and several other things as well
Old 10-27-2018, 05:18 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

F-111 fits as well
A-3 Skywarrior
RA-5 Vigilante. The most beautiful jet ever flown from a flight deck!

Sparky
Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Don't know if I would say the Vig was the most beautiful but it was an attractive plane. I would have no problem saying the Intruder was one of the ugliest
Old 10-27-2018, 08:25 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No correct answers thus far, but here's a couple of bonus clues to reward your collective efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was originally designed to serve one purpose, but wound up serving several.

2. But it was never a star performer in its original purpose; although that could be argued.

3. And it gave birth to an entire family of aircraft.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:02 AM
Ernie P.

And a morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was originally designed to serve one purpose, but wound up serving several.

2. But it was never a star performer in its original purpose; although that could be argued.

4. It was originally intended to be a fighter.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Hydro Junkie

How about the P-40?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:18 AM
CF105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hawker Hurricane?
Grumman Wildcat?
F-101 Voodoo?
F-104 Starfighter?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by CF105
Hawker Hurricane?
Grumman Wildcat?
F-101 Voodoo?
F-104 Starfighter?
The only one I see that fits clue three is the Hurricane. The Voodoo and Starfighter were, more or less, nothing more than straight line interceptors that couldn't really do anything else. While the Wildcat could and did drop extremely light bombs, even sinking a Japanese destroyer with them during the siege of Wake Island right after Pearl Harbor, it was never really more than a fairly heavy fighter that could take a punch
Old 10-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Ernie P.

No correct answers thus far; but here's a couple more bonus clues and an afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. But it was decided, after testing, it wasn’t maneuverable enough to successfully fulfill the role of a fighter.

6. It was, however, rugged and solidly built and easily controlled.

7. It was very fast.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. But it was decided, after testing, it wasn’t maneuverable enough to successfully fulfill the role of a fighter.

7. It was very fast.

8. And it could climb rapidly.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Mig 25
Old 10-28-2018, 08:36 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Mig 25
Not the MiG 25, Sparky; but here's a bonus clue to reward your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

9. And it had a high ceiling.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. hanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

10. The engine was powerful and reliable.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:42 AM
CF105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only one I see that fits clue three is the Hurricane. The Voodoo and Starfighter were, more or less, nothing more than straight line interceptors that couldn't really do anything else. While the Wildcat could and did drop extremely light bombs, even sinking a Japanese destroyer with them during the siege of Wake Island right after Pearl Harbor, it was never really more than a fairly heavy fighter that could take a punch
Not to distract from the quiz, but the Starfighter was also used in a low level strike role by Canada. And the Wildcat was used primarily for anti submarine duties in the North Atlantic later in the war. It was also the first of the Grumman “cats”.

some of the clues could apply to the F-105 Thunderchief... or even the SR-71 (which started life as a high speed interceptor).
Old 10-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by CF105

Not to distract from the quiz, but the Starfighter was also used in a low level strike role by Canada. And the Wildcat was used primarily for anti submarine duties in the North Atlantic later in the war. It was also the first of the Grumman “cats”.

some of the clues could apply to the F-105 Thunderchief... or even the SR-71 (which started life as a high speed interceptor).
CF105; you can't distract from the quiz if you're passing on information. That's the whole point of the quiz. So please continue. It was neither the F-105 or the SR-71 (or any of its predecessors or derivatives), but you earn a bonus clue and it's time for an afternoon clue as well. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

11. And the plane had a good range and could stay aloft an impressively long time.

12. So, rather than abandon it, it was decided to convert it to a reconnaissance aircraft.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Hydro Junkie

Sounds like the RA-5C Vigilante except the Vigilante wasn't a fighter by design, it was a medium bomber.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:06 AM
Ernie P.

Sounds like the RA-5C Vigilante except the Vigilante wasn't a fighter by design, it was a medium bomber.
Not the RA-5C; but here's another bonus clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

11. And the plane had a good range and could stay aloft an impressively long time.

12. So, rather than abandon it, it was decided to convert it to a reconnaissance aircraft.

13. And even a light bomber.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

14. Still, a number of them were produced as fighters.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

15. Perhaps, at the time, it wasn’t yet realized speed and rate of climb were more important than maneuverability for a fighter.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 AM
Hydro Junkie

Not so sure I agree with that last clue. The Mig-25 was fast and had an impressive rate of climb but it took half of Siberia to turn at speed. After Viktor Belenko defected to the west, bringing a Mig-25 with him, it was learned that the Mig was no match for the American F-15 below 60,000 feet. Above that, the Mig was able to climb away from the F-15 with relative ease. What was learned is that the Mig-25 was a 1970's version of the German ME-163 Komet as it could climb to altitude, make one or two attack runs against its hypothetical B-70 bomber targets and return to base. When the B-70 project was cancelled by President Kennedy in March, 1961, the Mig became a plane without a mission.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Ernie P.

Not so sure I agree with that last clue. The Mig-25 was fast and had an impressive rate of climb but it took half of Siberia to turn at speed. After Viktor Belenko defected to the west, bringing a Mig-25 with him, it was learned that the Mig was no match for the American F-15 below 60,000 feet. Above that, the Mig was able to climb away from the F-15 with relative ease. What was learned is that the Mig-25 was a 1970's version of the German ME-163 Komet as it could climb to altitude, make one or two attack runs against its hypothetical B-70 bomber targets and return to base. When the B-70 project was cancelled by President Kennedy in March, 1961, the Mig became a plane without a mission.
Sparky; we may differ in our opinions, but I think you will agree there is NO unimportant advantage on a fighter. The clue I gave stated "speed and rate of climb were more important than maneuverability for a fighter"; and I think that's true. The most important thing is speed. As McCudden said of the Se5; (para) "It's very nice to be flying a fast airplane; so, if you get into difficulty, you can simply leave". And, speed means your opponent often CAN'T leave when he wants to. The next in importance is rate of climb; which is simply speed vertically rather than horizontally. And who can argue the value of having the high ground? After speed and rate of climb comes maneuverability; and maneuvering is essentially a defensive maneuver. You're trying to make the other guy miss you or to get on his tail after he missed you. If he's faster, he can leave. If he has a better rate of climb, he can leave vertically. And then you have to make him miss when he comes back down. Which is when maneuvering is essential. But we can differ; that's okay.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

15. Perhaps, at the time, it wasn’t yet realized speed and rate of climb were more important than maneuverability for a fighter.

16. The construction method used freed it from much of the wire bracing used on most aircraft of the day.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 10-30-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

16. The construction method used freed it from much of the wire bracing used on most aircraft of the day.

17. With few exceptions, the producing service wasn’t noted for being able to produce a first rate aircraft.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:53 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

17. With few exceptions, the producing service wasn’t noted for being able to produce a first rate aircraft.

18. But a couple of pioneers weren’t content to produce copies of foreign designs.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:46 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

18. But a couple of pioneers weren’t content to produce copies of foreign designs.

19. They were determined to produce a domestic aircraft that could compete with any foreign design.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:44 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Don't forget to have plenty of candy for the kids. Happy Halloween (or, All Hallows Eve, if you prefer). Thanks; Ernie P.

7. It was very fast.

19. They were determined to produce a domestic aircraft that could compete with any foreign design.

20. So, they designed and built a winner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.