Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I would like to know which movie! I can wait until the quiz is over.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 AM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Turkey......
F-14 Tomcat
Top Gun
Probably not correct ,I'm taxing one of the planes 515 on the flaps as i recall( KA-6D (A-6 Tanker)) around on the flight deck in the opening scene it goes down hill from there.
Sparky
Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not the Tomcat, Sparky. This movie was a whole lot worse than Top Gun, except for having a variety of interesting (and colorful) airplanes. Here's a bonus clue:

1. Its name came from its supposed resemblance to what it was named for. You need some imagination to see this.

2. Served for nearly 20 years, during which time the one country that used it fought in two wars, but this airplane never took any active part in either of them.

3. Two of them did once try to shoot down another aircraft (for real: not an exercise). The attempt failed, although it did a lot of damage.

4. Two engines. Early versions had a lot of engine problems, as well as other mechanical difficulties.

5. Crew of two.

6. A prototype appears briefly in a motion picture which has many good color shots of interesting airplanes. If memory serves, there are no shots of it flying in that movie, but I may be wrong about this. The movie's airplane scenes make up for its imbecilic plot, terrible acting, and use of a couple of well-known airplanes to represent airplanes from a country that never flew them.

7. Shortly after that movie was filmed, and before it was released, the prototype crashed and its pilot was killed.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Turkey......
F-14 Tomcat
Top Gun
Probably not correct ,I'm taxing one of the planes 515 on the flaps as i recall( KA-6D (A-6 Tanker)) around on the flight deck in the opening scene it goes down hill from there.
Sparky
You mean the one that's shown for about 3 seconds before the JBD rises behind the plane? Yes, that was a "K", though you had to look very closely to see the "basket" and its housing.
I have to agree, looking back at it, that movie was a serious joke. Those "Cats" should have torn up those T-38s, during the final "dogfight" scene, without a second thought. It was, all things considered, a typical Tom Cruise movie plot. If you watch "Days Of Thunder", it's Top Gun in race cars with Nicole Kidman in the "love interest" role instead of Kelly McGillis.
BTW, did anyone else notice how Cruise was just leisurely strolling along the flight deck, HOLDING HIS HELMET INSTEAD OF WEARING IT? Seems to me that, being on the flight deck with flight operations going on, he should be wearing it. Something else I noticed was that he was supposedly doing a preflight on an F-14 that was tied down at the stern of the Enterprise's flight deck. Seems strange to me to see to have planes in the air with the landing area blocked by other tied down aircraft. During my two cruises, if a plane was up, the landing area was clear, regardless of the type of missions being flown

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-14-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:03 PM
elmshoot

Yep TG was a technical joke but I digress....
Yep that's me in 515.
It was filmed during workups on Enterprise the airwing was all in on it we had no idea of the story line. The film crew were extended officer country privileges and we were happy to see them go, a pretty rga tag group. The movie was released during deployment. Whem we pulled into Perth we hired a theater and had a private screening complete with about 50 local bacheloretts to talk to the boys anda few Kegs of beer.
About half way through the movie most of us were in the Theater lobby drinking beer and playing with the locals.
Sparky
Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Yep TG was a technical joke but I digress....
Yep that's me in 515.
It was filmed during workups on Enterprise the airwing was all in on it we had no idea of the story line. The film crew were extended officer country privileges and we were happy to see them go, a pretty rga tag group. The movie was released during deployment. Whem we pulled into Perth we hired a theater and had a private screening complete with about 50 local bacheloretts to talk to the boys anda few Kegs of beer.
About half way through the movie most of us were in the Theater lobby drinking beer and playing with the locals.
Sparky
No digressing, tell us how you really felt about that movie. I found so many things wrong with it that it almost made me wish I wasn't an "airdale". I know the Pentagon loved it since it upped the amount of enlistees by a large number, almost all wanting to be fighter pilots

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-14-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

What?
No mention of Art Scholl here?
Old 03-14-2019, 07:03 PM
elmshoot

The opening flight deck scene is probably on par with any of the great movies ever shot!
For me almost anybody recognizable in that sequence had my life in their hands at one point or another, none of it was staged it was what was happening on a flight deck when things were going well.
Turn up the sound!!!!!

The rest of it is just OK. It's a love story around airplanes.
Yes I understood it caused a lot of enlistments.
Sparky
Old 03-15-2019, 04:23 AM
Top_Gunn

Somebody ought to start a thread somewhere about aviation-related movies (maybe books, too). Not just bloopers, though there are lots of those. Some years ago I found a couple of good books about airline flying on a flight sim thread, and suggestions about DVDs to watch while using the treadmill are always welcome. In the meantime, back to looking for the name of a warbird:

1. Its name came from its supposed resemblance to what it was named for. You need some imagination to see this.

2. Served for nearly 20 years, during which time the one country that used it fought in two wars, but this airplane never took any active part in either of them.

3. Two of them did once try to shoot down another aircraft (for real: not an exercise). The attempt failed, although it did a lot of damage.

4. Two engines. Early versions had a lot of engine problems, as well as other mechanical difficulties.

5. Crew of two.

6. A prototype appears briefly in a motion picture which has many good color shots of interesting airplanes. If memory serves, there are no shots of it flying in that movie, but I may be wrong about this. The movie's airplane scenes make up for its imbecilic plot, terrible acting, and use of a couple of well-known airplanes to represent airplanes from a country that never flew them.

7. Shortly after that movie was filmed, and before it was released, the prototype crashed and its pilot was killed.

8. Total production was a bit over 1000.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 03-15-2019 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:20 AM
elmshoot

#7 the pilot was killed. were both pilots killed? or was it being flown by only one?

PS "Piece of Cake" is an excellent portrayal of combat flying and has some great flying but a mishmash of different Spitfire MK's
Sparky
Old 03-15-2019, 06:07 AM
Top_Gunn

#7 the pilot was killed. were both pilots killed? or was it being flown by only one?

PS "Piece of Cake" is an excellent portrayal of combat flying and has some great flying but a mishmash of different Spitfire MK's
Sparky
#7. I think just one, though I'm not positive. Piece of Cake was a great series which, unfortunately, doesn't have subtitles or closed captions. Between my fading hearing and the treadmill noise, written dialog is a must. The book was even better. Among other things, it did a good job of demolishing the absurd idea that the Germans could have invaded Britain even if they had won the air war. Their "landing craft" were unseaworthy, unpowered barges. Normandy, even with almost complete air supremacy, with an enormous naval presence, with a lot of good technical stuff, careful planing, and a superb fake toward Calais, was a tough slog. Gφring was always promising stuff he couldn't deliver, and I don't think Hitler ever took "Operation Sea Lion" seriously.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
#7. I think just one, though I'm not positive. Piece of Cake was a great series which, unfortunately, doesn't have subtitles or closed captions. Between my fading hearing and the treadmill noise, written dialog is a must. The book was even better. Among other things, it did a good job of demolishing the absurd idea that the Germans could have invaded Britain even if they had won the air war. Their "landing craft" were unseaworthy, unpowered barges. Normandy, even with almost complete air supremacy, with an enormous naval presence, with a lot of good technical stuff, careful planing, and a superb fake toward Calais, was a tough slog. Gφring was always promising stuff he couldn't deliver, and I don't think Hitler ever took "Operation Sea Lion" seriously.
Sucks to get old doesn't Al? Check the monitor on the treadmill it might have a jack for a headset. All the treadmills at the Senior Wellness center here have jacks. I go there to use the recumbent bike to exercise my new knee. The wife and I are thinking about joining the evening water aerobics class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Sucks to get old doesn't Al? Check the monitor on the treadmill it might have a jack for a headset. All the treadmills at the Senior Wellness center here have jacks. I go there to use the recumbent bike to exercise my new knee. The wife and I are thinking about joining the evening water aerobics class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Maybe I'll try that again. I did used to use a wireless headset, but it was no fun when it got sweaty and the worst thing about hearing loss is that loud noises are at least as annoying as ever, it's just the clarity that goes. Maybe something with earbuds would work. Our treadmill is pretty new, so it may have a jack.

I know people who read on treadmills, but much as I enjoy reading (voted "class bookworm" in high school), I can't see doing that.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:55 PM
elmshoot

Shortly after I returned from Desert Storm and my experience was still raw ( We lost four planes from Saratoga) and memories clear.
The series was on PBS.
I was stunned at how realistically they captured the emotion of flying in combat.
I can't imagine flying for the Germans and Japs were they never rotated out they flew until the were dead or wounded.
Sparky

Last edited by elmshoot; 03-15-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:11 AM
Top_Gunn

Here's today's clue. Also, I did some research on the crash mentioned in Clue 7 and have fixed that clue, which was a little off.

Looking for the name of a warbird:

5. Crew of two.

7. Shortly after that movie was filmed, and before it was released, the prototype crashed and one crew member was killed.

9. Armament varied from version to version. The first production version was armed with cannons.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:07 AM
H5606

Originally Posted by H5606
What?
Gone and forgotten. Its just like human nature across the board I suppose - to not identify with what goes on behind the scenes to do a job and not be recognized.

Guess I'm a hypocrite for subsidizing Hollywood the amount that came out of the admission cost of ~ $3.75 for this waste of time, piece-of-krap movie. Remember making someone wait through the end credits to see if there was any acknowledgment for Mr. Scholl. You'd think I really enjoyed the show. Really not.

Regarding the warbird quiz:

Suspicions had me take a look at the 1957 "Jet Pilot" Vimeo trailer flying compilation with Holst The Planets, Mars soundtrack and really enjoyed those (excellent quality) sequences and aircraft so much in comparison to the garbage in 1986's "Top Gun". Understand Mr. Hughes was obsessed with getting the flying shots just right. Good luck all.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gone and forgotten. Its just like human nature across the board I suppose - to not identify with what goes on behind the scenes to do a job and not be recognized.

Guess I'm a hypocrite for subsidizing Hollywood the amount that came out of the admission cost of ~ $3.75 for this waste of time, piece-of-krap movie. Remember making someone wait through the end credits to see if there was any acknowledgment for Mr. Scholl. You'd think I really enjoyed the show. Really not.

Regarding the warbird quiz:

Suspicions had me take a look at the 1957 "Jet Pilot" Vimeo trailer flying compilation with Holst The Planets, Mars soundtrack and really enjoyed those (excellent quality) sequences and aircraft so much in comparison to the garbage in 1986's "Top Gun". Understand Mr. Hughes was obsessed with getting the flying shots just right. Good luck all.
Sir; not everyone recognizes the name Art Scholl or his role in the making of Top Gun. Perhaps you would care to elucidate? And I thought there was some acknowledgement of Mr. Scholl within the movie. Is my memory faulty? All I know about his fatal crash is that he indicated by radio he had a "problem", then "a real problem", before the crash. Obviously a mechanical malfunction is suspected; but since they never recovered the wreckage no one knows for sure. Can you shed more light on things? Thanks; Ernie P.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 03-16-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Ernie P.

What?
Sir; I may have misinterpreted your meaning. I'm now assuming "here" meant on this forum, rather than on the movie in question. I did a quick search and Wikipedia states the movie was dedicated to Art Scholl and there is a film clip referenced which seems to back up that assertion. I apologize if I misread your meaning. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:23 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F-5 Tiger?
Old 03-16-2019, 04:21 PM
H5606

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Sir; I may have misinterpreted your meaning. I'm now assuming "here" meant on this forum, rather than on the movie in question. I did a quick search and Wikipedia states the movie was dedicated to Art Scholl and there is a film clip referenced which seems to back up that assertion. I apologize if I misread your meaning. Thanks; Ernie P.
Yes sir and I should be more courteous in this regard. I meant this forum and wanted to shed light on this event out of recognition and respect however, even I went to see this movie in spite of knowing ahead of time that he perished. I did see the dedication in his honor during the end credits.

He was a well known airshow pilot of that era running an aerobatic flight school, flying for many movies and TV shows and most notable in at least a couple red, white, and blue modified de Havilland Chipmunks and Pitts S-2. He taught students routinely how to perform and recover from inverted flat spins. He had a small dog with a personalized flight suit that traveled with him to airshows named 'Aileron'. He was apparently a very careful and meticulous pilot and everyone is mystified by his death. One of his signature maneuvers was to perform a fly-by, while standing outside the cockpit on the wing walk area of his Chipmunk and wave to the crowd. I'm sorry I never saw him perform in any airshow. He was flying the flat spin sequence for Top Gun in a Pitts S-2 equipped with cameras when he perished. From what I read, neither he nor the airplane were ever recovered from the Pacific Ocean.

Apologies for my contributions to steering the challenge off course.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Top_Gunn

Not the F-5. And No apology needed, H5606. This quiz is at least partly about a movie, which I'll probably rant about once the answer appears, and much of the enjoyment of these quizzes is the interesting facts about aircraft and aviators that comes up, sometimes in the quizzes and answers and sometimes along with guesses.

Bonus clue:

5. Crew of two.

7. Shortly after that movie was filmed, and before it was released, the prototype crashed and one crew member was killed.

9. Armament varied from version to version. The first production version was armed with cannons.

10. The last version, a modification of an earlier one, had no guns and was the first airplane to be armed with a particular weapon that was never fired in anger by anyone. It was also the only airplane ever to fire that weapon at all (as part of a test).

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 03-16-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:49 AM
Top_Gunn

St. Patrick's Day clue:

5. Crew of two.

10. The last version, a modification of an earlier one, had no guns and was the first airplane to be armed with a particular weapon that was never fired in anger by anyone. It was also the only airplane ever to fire that weapon at all (as part of a test).

11. The most widely produced version was armed only with unguided rockets. This version was the one used in the unsuccessful attempt referred to in Clue 3.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Ernie P.

Al; I sent you a PM yesterday. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:33 AM
Top_Gunn

Today's clue:

5. Crew of two.

11. The most widely produced version was armed only with unguided rockets. This version was the one used in the unsuccessful attempt referred to in Clue 3.

12. Some of them were armed with guided missiles, as well as rockets. And it could carry bombs as well, although there would have been no reason to do that when it was used in the role for which it was designed.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F 89 Scorpion

If I'm right the floor is open because I have connection issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.