Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 05:16 AM
Fidd88

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What aircraft is this?

1. Single crew operation
2. Unarmed
3. Only known to have been successful operationally, once

If I have jumped the gun here, and Sparky posts, disregard this.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:50 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fidd88
What aircraft is this?

1. Single crew operation
2. Unarmed
3. Only known to have been successful operationally, once

If I have jumped the gun here, and Sparky posts, disregard this.
Focke-Achgelis Fa 330?
Old 07-15-2020, 11:18 AM
Fidd88

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Focke-Achgelis Fa 330?
Stone the crows! That's uncanny! I thought I was going to tie you in knots with that one! Congratulations! Strewth!
Old 07-15-2020, 11:58 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Focke-Achgelis Fa 330?
Al, that's pretty impressive. I'm guessing Aaron chose a subject with which you happen to be familiar; but it's still impressive. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Al, that's pretty impressive. I'm guessing Aaron chose a subject with which you happen to be familiar; but it's still impressive. Thanks; Ernie P.
Well, yeah, it's something I'd run across and it's pretty memorable, and also it may well be the only warbird ever made that fits all three clues. I knew it had been tried some, and checked to see that one of those efforts had worked out. I kind of wish I'd kept quiet for a while, because I'm sure I caused us to miss some great clues.

It's really Sparky's turn, so if he has a subject I'll happily pass. If he doesn't want to do it I can probably think of something by tomorrow or so.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Is that a record on how fast one went? I've never had one go in less than 10 or 12
Old 07-15-2020, 07:13 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Too busy right now. Any lurker has until Midnight 16 July to post a quiz.
Sparky
Old 07-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Ernie P.

Well, yeah, it's something I'd run across and it's pretty memorable, and also it may well be the only warbird ever made that fits all three clues. I knew it had been tried some, and checked to see that one of those efforts had worked out. I kind of wish I'd kept quiet for a while, because I'm sure I caused us to miss some great clues.

It's really Sparky's turn, so if he has a subject I'll happily pass. If he doesn't want to do it I can probably think of something by tomorrow or so.
Like you, I am familiar with the Fa 330; but another plane also came to mind. I may use that one, one of these days. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:24 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Is that a record on how fast one went? I've never had one go in less than 10 or 12
I can recall several that went on the first clue. But, it is rare. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:23 AM
Top_Gunn

OK, so now Ernie's got me scratching my head and looking for another one-success unarmed warbird, and without even doing a quiz. Sigh. Since Sparky has passed for now, and the weather here isn't great for flying this week, I'll do one.

Looking for the name of a very well-known warbird, which I think hasn't come up in one of these quizzes yet.

1. Flown by more than 20 countries.

2. In service somewhere for well over 50 years.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:41 AM
Ernie P.

OK, so now Ernie's got me scratching my head and looking for another one-success unarmed warbird, and without even doing a quiz. Sigh. Since Sparky has passed for now, and the weather here isn't great for flying this week, I'll do one.

Looking for the name of a very well-known warbird, which I think hasn't come up in one of these quizzes yet.

Al; the first thing that comes to mind is the F-5 family. Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Northrup F-20 Tigershark (AKA F-5G)

The Northrop F-5 is a family of supersonic light fighter aircraft initially designed as a privately funded project in the late 1950s by Northrop Corporation. There are two main models, the original F-5A and F-5B Freedom Fighter variants and the extensively updated F-5E and F-5F Tiger II variants. The design team wrapped a small, highly aerodynamic fighter around two compact and high-thrust General Electric J85 engines, focusing on performance and a low cost of maintenance. Smaller and simpler than contemporaries such as the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II, the F-5 cost less to procure and operate, making it a popular export aircraft. Though primarily designed for a day air superiority role, the aircraft is also a capable ground-attack platform. The F-5A entered service in the early 1960s. During the Cold War, over 800 were produced through 1972 for U.S. allies. Though at the time the United States Air Force (USAF) did not have a need for a light fighter, it did procure approximately 1,200 Northrop T-38 Talon trainer aircraft, which was based on Northrop's N-156 fighter design.

After winning the International Fighter Aircraft Competition, a program aimed at providing effective low-cost fighters to American allies, in 1970 Northrop introduced the second-generation F-5E Tiger II in 1972. This upgrade included more powerful engines, larger fuel capacity, greater wing area and improved leading edge extensions for better turn rates, optional air-to-air refueling, and improved avionics including air-to-air radar. Primarily used by American allies, it remains in US service to support training exercises. It has served in a wide array of roles, being able to perform both air and ground attack duties; the type was used extensively in the Vietnam War.[4] A total of 1,400 Tiger IIs were built before production ended in 1987. More than 3,800 F-5s and the closely related T-38 advanced trainer aircraft were produced in Hawthorne, California.[5] The F-5N/F variants are in service with the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps as adversary trainers.[6] Approximately 500 aircraft were in service as of 2014.[7][N 1]
Old 07-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Top_Gunn

Not an F-5. Here's a bonus clue, somewhat in the style of Fidd88, although the slang may be purely American. I used to do those puzzles some back in the day.

3. That woman objectively embraces a mixed up oddball.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:21 AM
Top_Gunn

Back to conventional clues.

4. Crew of one, but some later variants had a second seat.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:26 AM
Ernie P.

Al; your third clue simply made my head hurt. I know it has to make sense; but I never was very good at that type of clue. Okay; back to trying to figure this out. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:53 PM
Ernie P.

Back to conventional clues.

Okay; I'll continue with the obvious choices. How about the MiG-15? However, if that isn't correct, I'd like to guess the MiG-17. I won't bother adding the MiG-19, because that variant wasn't used by as many countries. Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The MiG-15

The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 (Russian: Микоян и Гуревич МиГ-15; USAF/DoD designation: Type 14; NATO reporting name: Fagot) is a jet fighter aircraft developed by Mikoyan-Gurevich for the Soviet Union. The MiG-15 was one of the first successful jet fighters to incorporate swept wings to achieve high transonic speeds. In combat over Korea, it outclassed straight-winged jet day fighters, which were largely relegated to ground-attack roles, and was quickly countered by the similar American swept-wing North American F-86 Sabre.

When refined into the more advanced MiG-17, the basic design would again surprise the West when it proved effective against supersonic fighters such as the Republic F-105 Thunderchief and McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II in the Vietnam War of the 1960s.

The MiG-15 is believed to have been one of the most produced jet aircraft; in excess of 13,000 were manufactured. Licensed foreign production may have raised the production total to almost 18,000. The MiG-15 remains in service with the Korean People's Army Air Force as an advanced trainer.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:55 PM
Top_Gunn

Not the MiG-15 or the MiG-17. Here are two bonus clues (two, because the first one probably won't help much).

5. Some of them dropped leaflets on one occasion.

6. It was designed to use a particular engine, an engine that powered a number of well-known airplanes and at least one car.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gee, the engine wasn't the J-57 was it? I'm kind of thinking the P-80 Shooting Star/T-33 but, as per usual, I'm probably wrong
Old 07-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Top_Gunn

Not the P-80 or its successors, but that's not a bad guess. Here's a bonus clue, and I have also edited Clue 3 by specifying the number of letters in the answer to that clue. It's still not easy, but I fear it was close to impossible without an idea of length.

3. That woman objectively embraces a mixed up oddball (6).

6. It was designed to use a particular engine, an engine that powered a number of well-known airplanes and at least one car.

7. Its engine was originally designed to power a bomber.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

How about a Fairey Firefly?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:11 PM
Ernie P.

Not the P-80 or its successors, but that's not a bad guess. Here's a bonus clue, and I have also edited Clue 3 by specifying the number of letters in the answer to that clue. It's still not easy, but I fear it was close to impossible without an idea of length.

Or maybe the Colt? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Antonov An-2

The Antonov An-2 (Russian nickname: "Annushka" or "Annie"; "kukuruznik"—corn crop duster; USAF/DoD reporting name Type 22, NATO reporting name Colt[6]) is a Soviet mass-produced single-engine biplane utility/agricultural aircraft designed and manufactured by the Antonov Design Bureau beginning in 1946. Its remarkable durability, high lifting power, and ability to take off and land from poor runways have given it a long service life. The An-2 was produced up to 2001 and remains in service with military and civilian operators around the world.

The An-2 was designed as a utility aircraft for use in forestry and agriculture. However, the basic airframe is highly adaptable and numerous variants of the type have been developed; these include hopper-equipped versions for crop-dusting, scientific versions for atmospheric sampling, water-bombers for fighting forest-fires, flying ambulances, float-equipped seaplane versions and lightly armed combat versions for dropping paratroops. The most common version is the An-2T 12-seater passenger aircraft. All versions (other than the An-3 and the An-2-100) are powered by a 750 kW (1,010 hp) nine-cylinder Shvetsov ASh-62 radial engine, which was developed from the Wright R-1820. The An-2 typically consumes 2.5 l/min (0.66 US gal/min; 0.55 imp gal/min).

Old 07-18-2020, 04:35 AM
Top_Gunn

Neither the Firefly nor the Colt. So here are this morning's clue and two others.

8. It held one aviation record for a while, but the airplane that set that record used a different engine.

9. The car mentioned in Clue 6 also set a record.

10. Some descriptions of its fuselage mention a Jayne Mansfield lookalike.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:15 AM
Top_Gunn

Two clues this morning. The first one looks odd, but it should be useful.

8. It held one aviation record for a while, but the airplane that set that record used a different engine.

11. Inkubus Sukkubus lyrics may help with Clue 10.

12. One of them flew under an iconic bridge and performed other impressive aerobatic feats. These actions did not advance its pilot's career. See also Clue 5 for a related event.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Ernie P.

Two clues this morning. The first one looks odd, but it should be useful.

11. Inkubus Sukkubus lyrics may help with Clue 10.

12. One of them flew under an iconic bridge and performed other impressive aerobatic feats. These actions did not advance its pilot's career. See also Clue 5 for a related event.
Well, it's too hot to fly today and I'm tired of working on airplanes. Which gave me a bit of time to think about this thing. How about the Hawker Hunter? It was in service for more than 50 years (around 60, actually) and it certainly had a "wasp waisted" look. Thanks; Ernie P.

ANSWER: The Hawker HunterThe Hawker Hunter is a transonic British jet-powered fighter aircraft that was developed by Hawker Aircraft for the Royal Air Force (RAF) during the late 1940s and early 1950s. It was designed to take advantage of the newly developed Rolls-Royce Avon turbojet engine and the swept wing, and was the first jet-powered aircraft produced by Hawker to be procured by the RAF. On 7 September 1953, the modified first prototype broke the world air speed record for aircraft, achieving a speed of 727.63 mph (1,171.01 km/h; 632.29 kn).

The single-seat Hunter was introduced to service in 1954 as a manoeuvrable day interceptor aircraft, quickly succeeding first-generation jet fighters in RAF service such as the Gloster Meteor and the de Havilland Venom. The all-weather/night fighter role was filled by the Gloster Javelin. Successively improved variants of the type were produced, adopting increasingly more capable engine models and expanding its fuel capacity amongst other modifications being implemented. Hunters were also used by two RAF display teams: the "Black Arrows", who on one occasion looped a record-breaking 22 Hunters in formation, and later the "Blue Diamonds", who flew 16 aircraft. The Hunter was also widely exported, serving with a total of 21 overseas air forces.

During the 1960s, following the introduction of the supersonic English Electric Lightning in the interceptor role, the Hunter transitioned to being operated as a fighter-bomber and for aerial reconnaissance missions, using dedicated variants for these purposes. Two-seat variants remained in use for training and secondary roles with the RAF and the Royal Navy until the early 1990s. Sixty years after its original introduction it was still in active service, being operated by the Lebanese Air Force until 2014.

The Hunter saw combat service in a range of conflicts with several operators, including the Suez Crisis, the Aden Emergency, the Sino-Indian War, the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, the Rhodesian Bush War, the Second Congo War, the Six-Day War, the War of Attrition and the Yom Kippur War. Overall, 1,972 Hunters were manufactured by Hawker Aircraft and its successor, Hawker Siddeley, as well as being produced under licence overseas. In British service, the Hunter was replaced in its principal roles by the Lightning, the Hawker Siddeley Harrier and the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Top_Gunn

It is indeed the Hawker Hunter, a superb fighter and later ground-attack airplane, perhaps less well-known than some others because its combat use was mostly, maybe entirely, in smaller wars. The leaflet dropping and its flight under the upper span of Tower Bridge are described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker...ridge_incident

The Jayne Mansfield lookalike (Clue 10) was a British Actress named Sabrina. All but the earliest versions of the Hunter had two prominent bulges next to each other on the bottom of the fuselage. These were added to catch ejected shells, which had sometimes damaged the fuselage. Some people called them "Sabrinas" for some reason. That name features prominently in an Inkubus Sukkubus song.

The answer to Clue 3, which I had hoped would drive Ernie insane, is "Hunter." "That woman," (the pronoun, anyway, in the objective case) is "her." An oddball is someone one might call a "nut"; mixed up, those letters could be could be "unt," so H UNT ER. I know, it's a stretch. I never tried this before.
The following 2 users liked this post by Top_Gunn:
FlyerInOKC (07-19-2020), JohnnyS (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 03:23 PM
Ernie P.

It is indeed the Hawker Hunter, a superb fighter and later ground-attack airplane, perhaps less well-known than some others because its combat use was mostly, maybe entirely, in smaller wars. The leaflet dropping and its flight under the upper span of Tower Bridge are described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker...ridge_incident

The Jayne Mansfield lookalike (Clue 10) was a British Actress named Sabrina. All but the earliest versions of the Hunter had two prominent bulges next to each other on the bottom of the fuselage. These were added to catch ejected shells, which had sometimes damaged the fuselage. Some people called them "Sabrinas" for some reason. That name features prominently in an Inkubus Sukkubus song.

The answer to Clue 3, which I had hoped would drive Ernie insane, is "Hunter." "That woman," (the pronoun, anyway, in the objective case) is "her." An oddball is someone one might call a "nut"; mixed up, those letters could be could be "unt," so H UNT ER. I know, it's a stretch. I never tried this before.
Thanks, Al. Your Clue 3 did puzzle me. I did get the :her" part; but didn't make the jump to "h". Like I said; there's a reason I wasn't good at the London Times crossword puzzles. I'll have something up tomorrow. Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.