Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

H9 P-51 Mustang .60 ARF - "Marie" - Engine Mount Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9 P-51 Mustang .60 ARF - "Marie" - Engine Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 PM
lynxis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 P-51 Mustang .60 ARF - "Marie" - Engine Mount Question

I purchased a never flown h9 .60 marie with a super tigre 90 2 stroke already mounted.

Most of the work on this plane has already been done, but now that im looking at it, im running into a few problems.

Mainly, the original owner mounted the 2 stroke head to come out the starboard side of the cowl, and therefore the pitts muffler would kick out the bottom.

The issue with this is, the "bottom" engine mount goes right over the middle of the hole that is cut out for the fuel tank. I thought it was odd the plane didnt have the tank installed but didnt think much of it or why. Now i know the reason.

So, what can i do? Are there other types of mount designs? Is it ok if the fuel tank doesnt "come through" the firewall?

It just seems odd to me that the only way the manufacturer would build this plane is to make it so the only way to mount the engine is to make it upright or inverted.

What did you do with your 2 stroke on this plane???

thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H9 P-51 Mustang .60 ARF -

First make sure the engine is mounted so the cowl is at the right position when mounted. Then the tank should be located so the tank centerline is within 1/4-3/8 inch of the height of the carb centerline, usually below it. I had this plane with a G90 in it mounted as yours is and had to modify the inside of the plane to get the tank height correct. I also added some triangle stock behind the firewall to strengthen it - used epoxy to hold the triangle stock and thinned epoxy to seal the tank compartment (which I always do).

The tank doesn't need to be mounted so it comes through the firewall - unless this puts the tank centerline at the height i stated above. But it does need to be fairly close to the engine. So you may need to make another hole or holes through the firewall for the fuel line to feed to the engine so it doesn't go a lot higher or lower than the centerlines. Of course if you make any new holes you should trim them to be fairly smooth so they don't cut the fuel lines, and epoxy seal them.

I also changed the tail covering to the scheme shown and added some red to the wings.

Good luck

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12966.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	1368352  
Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
lynxis

Any decent tips on how to secure the fuel tank if it doesnt have a solid anchor point that the nose of the bottle going through the firewall provides?

Or does it not need to be 100% secured.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 PM
sharkeyauau

it does need to be secure and cannot move or vibrate as this creates air bubbles in the tank and fuel line and she'll stall. i would epoxy some balsa to hold it in place and pack around it with foam this usually stops vibration in the tank just be carefull modifying the front end and adding to much weight (centre of gravity) 
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 PM
thedeeman

I have the same plane and had the same problem. I mounted an OS 95AX sideways as you described. I simply enlarged the hole for the new tank position (a dremel with a big sanding wheel did the trick pretty easily). Then I used foam padding to secure the tank from the inside (and a small piece to cushion the front of the tank). You can also run some square block stock (1/4" x 1/4") across the fuse just behind the tank to keep it secure in place. I didn't since the foam padding keeps it pretty secure. I would post some pics but the plane is currently sitting under my snow covered truck. I actually flew it a few days ago when the temps were much warmer and the sky was sunny. I'll dig it out tommorow since I have to do some prop swapping and I'll get some pics then.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 AM
lynxis

Tahts really nice of you.

Did you move the tank hole "down" or "up" ?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:01 PM
thedeeman

Plane's out of the truck and in the garage. Hopefully tonight I can have it in the basement for some updating. I'll get pics then.

Oh yeah, I moved the whole down (away from the motor mount position).