Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal P-38 Rebuild

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal P-38 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:10 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal P-38 Rebuild

On my old Royal P-38 it uses Rhom-Air retracts specialy made for the Royal P-38 and they are all mounted to the bulkheads. Of course Rhom Air is out of bussiness now. My gear is getting pretty tired these days. I am still thinking about what to replace them with.
The kit was designed to come apart. Elevator and rudders, two booms, and the wing and pod. That makes for a lot of conections. Mine is just two parts. The tail and booms are all attatched. And the wing and pod comes off that. When the wing is off, the booms are pretty flimsy. I only take the wing off for maintainance on my stands. It hangs in my garage in one peice, and I transport it in one piece in my truck.
I use Robart wheels at the scale size and there is no noticeable CG change.
My air tank is in one of the booms and my fill valve is just under the wing by the weel well.
I already changed what I did not like about the kit and plans- the NOSE GEAR IS TOO FAR FORWARD. Every one built from the stock kit is like that so that the wheel is in front of the wing retracted. I just releaved the area where the wheel had to go. Its been good for many years. And it looks SOOO much better.

Check the Royal thread in the scale forum http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6667128/tm.htm
There is lots of Royal P-38 stuff there.

I Qualified for the 2007 Scale masters championships with my old Royal P-38 in Advanced Class. I wish I had taken it to the finals instead of my B-24!
Next year I will be rebuilding the smashed one I posted that picture of[X(].
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
mohr_dave
My Feedback: (6)

Dail,
     Not that I'm going to, but on one of your posts on G-Pete's thread, you indicated you were planning on adding fowler flaps to your "P-38 in a bag" for the rebuild.  Have you done this before or seen any threads on this or ?? 

I saw how Lightning Fan did this on his Ziroli but there is no way that this would work on the Royal.  I'm also not sure it would be of benefit for my P-38 since the wing is pretty much structurally okay and not in need of doing surgery.  But, if you had a plan for yours that wouldn't require extensive surgery, it might be interesting to look into, especially with the new thin servos out there.

Oh, no, I haven't gotten ANYTHING done with her this weekend.  I ended up working on a "gulp" clipped wing cub since my wife went in errand mode on Saturday and it was the only chance I would have to strip the remnants of the fabric covering off of the wing and fuse.  By the way, LF gave me an idea for doing this and I ended up using acrylic enamel reducer.  If you ever need to remove the goo left from fabric covering, the stuff works great.  It took me a little over an hour to strip the entire wing and the aft section of the fuse.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
ampeater
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,

I designed fowler flaps for my royal P-38, but you'd have to do it while the wing is being built. I also made a 3-piece wing with the center section permanently attached to the booms to try and help with alignment and strength. The flap servos are in the booms and outer flaps are driven by a torque rod so the wings can detach. Each flap section has 3 pushrods. Two on the outside attached at the bottom of the flap to guide it back and one in the middle attached to the top of the flap with a longer throw to make it rotate down. I don't know if I have any better pictures than this. I used rotary drive on the ailerons to hide the links.

Haven't finished it yet though, it got pushed aside for a few other projects.

Good luck with the rebuild, it's an awesome plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60756.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1380323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93529.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1380324  
Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have new fiberglass cowls for this plane if you are interested. I bought them for a project that I never got started on. I have no use for them. PM me if you're interested.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
mohr_dave

Ampeater,
     Do you have any photos of your fowler flaps before the end TE pieces were installed to show the linkages?  I guess though, you are correct, it would probably take a bit too much effort for the return at this point, since my wing is already fully built.  

RAM-3500, thanks, I have a new set for this one as well, but I'll keep you in mind in case I do something I'll regret later...

Dave
Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM
scale dail

I was going to copy this set up basicly for the "P-38 in a bag".
I am going to put new retracts on my old P-38 and add simple split flaps, and move the aileron servos out to the wingtips. But I am going scale crazy with the smashed one.

Ampeater! Lookin good!!

Name:	Ax72989.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1380365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92435.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1380366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67154.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1380367  
Old 02-16-2010, 04:37 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: mohr_dave

Ampeater,
Do you have any photos of your fowler flaps before the end TE pieces were installed to show the linkages? I guess though, you are correct, it would probably take a bit too much effort for the return at this point, since my wing is already fully built.

RAM-3500, thanks, I have a new set for this one as well, but I'll keep you in mind in case I do something I'll regret later...

Dave
No problem. If you run across anyone needing some, keep me in mind.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 AM
FRVautrin

I have a Royal Unassembled Kit P-38 in a Box

Name:	Tr49705.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	626.5 KB
ID:	1383566  
Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
mohr_dave

Okay guys, sorry for the lack of posts, it's been one of those weeks.  I DID get a very little bit of work done on the ship last night.  I decided to try covering something simple to get back into covering.  I haven't dorked anything in for some time and haven't touched an iron for months.  So, I covered the elevator last night.  I thought I'd see how it went with just my standard practice, clean the surface, use the woodpecker, clean the surface and cover on a piece of 3/16" glass.  Other than "me", there weren't any issues and the MoneyKote seems to stick fine over the remnants of the paint.  With that, I'll start working on the rest of the tail feathers. 

Dave
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
mohr_dave

Okay, just another short post.  I am starting to realize how much time it's going to take to cover this thing.  I started the tail feathers tonight.  I end up doing work on the planes piece-meal, so I really don't get a "good" stretch of time unless the rest of the family goes out for a bit.  I started the Starboard rudder.  The upper and lower halves are going to take some time.  I'm edging in the covering in the hinge line.  I was going to cover the horizontal surfaces of the "hinges" but I can't get to the whole surface, so this will get paint after covering for the red. 

Dave
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 AM
scale dail

When I finaly get started on rebuilding my P-38 I am planning on 8-12 months. These things take time!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM
mohr_dave

Dail,
    Thanks for the note.  And, um, well, I think your rebuild "should" take more time than mine.  I started out with a pretty solid ship that really just needs some updating, I haven't found anything structural that needs to be rebuilt.  I was really hoping, and yes - I'm an optimist - that I would have this one in the air for flying season this Summer.  We'll see.  If I can get a good morning or night by myself, I'm sure my progress will go up exponentially.  Anyhow, for this weekend, I'm setting my goal to finish the tail feather covering, sans the detail work.

The detail work actually brings up a good question.  What method have you guys used for transferring images from your computer to your planes?  I was thinking of using avery labels on the laser printer and clear coating them but am sure there are LOTS of other options, I'd just like to see what someone has used that is simple and works.

Thanks

Dave

Old 02-27-2010, 05:05 PM
mohr_dave

Okay, like I mentioned before, I don't get a LOT of time to work on my planes.  I was able to get almost two hours just now, and finished the lower red on both of the rudders/horizontal stabs.  I'm getting back into the swing of things and hopefully will get quicker as I go.  I have started to edge in the horizontal surfaces, which oddly enough, my actually save time in the long run, not to mention make a better looking hinge joint. 

Dave
Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 PM
mohr_dave

So, slightly more progress.  I have both inside rudders covered and inside lower portions of the vertical stabs covered, that's it.  That equates to about four hours of work.  I'm slowly getting my covering ability back, but it's still really slow compared to what I expected.  Anyhow, I'll keep chugging away...

Dave
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
mohr_dave

Little by little...

I took a couple of shots last night of my slow progress. Sorry, these are from my phone as one of my colleagues has my camera...I covered the lower portion of the horizontal stab last night. Yep, like I said, s l o w ...

Once I get through the tail section, I expect the rest of the ship to go a bit more quickly. I'm honestly not even sure why I started to cover the tail, except to keep it from getting dinged up. I still have plenty of other work to do on other parts of the plane. Once the tail is covered, I'll need to refocus my attention to getting the engines mounted and the rest of the gear installed before doing any more covering.

Dave

Name:	Us54637.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1389757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90381.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1389758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54637.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1389759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90381.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1389760  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 AM
scale dail

Looks good!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 PM
mohr_dave

Okay, sorry for the lack of posts, but not a lot is happening.  I am STILL working on covering the tail.  It's just very tedious and I get about an hour or so at a shot to work on it.  I found that the forward section in front of the vertical stabilizers is the most difficult part of covering, due to the complex curvature.  I still have both inside upper sections of the horizontal stabs, both outer bottom sections and top sections of the horizontal stabs to cover.  Hopefully between tonight and tomorrow I will get the tail covered.

Dave
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM
scale dail

That is the way to do it. If you don't have much time, just a little at a time. Most people in the hobby now will not do anything towards building, with the excuse that they have no time!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM
mohr_dave

So, slightly more progress. No photos, yet, but I'll get a couple this week. No, I didn't finish the tail this past weekend. I now have the last horizontal surface to finish, along with the upper vertical stab sections. I also attached the artwork Iplan on using for the Satan's Angels insignia for the nose and radiator coolers. I need some input on these, as I have different information for the cooler image, with the difference being that one image has the white chevrons, and one doesn't. Does anyone know which is right for Battle Axe???

That's it for now...

Dave
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
ampeater

Sorry, can't speak for Battle Axe, but here's a nice shot of the cooler insignia on Pudgy IV outside Macguire AFB.

Name:	Ig13327.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1395918  
Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
mohr_dave

Ampeater,
     Thanks, that's what I show on the profile I downloaded.  I'll make another one without the chevrons and a "closer in" background for comparison.

Dave
Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
mohr_dave

How's this?

Dave
Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hows your progress????
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can you give us an update on the royal p-38? any pictures or video?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
mohr_dave

Progress is horribly lacking.  Not making excuses, just life happens.  I also got side tracked with what was supposed to be a "short" project, which was supposed to also give me some more experience to get my covering skills back.  I recovered an old Carl Goldberg Clipped Wing Cub. 

However, the good news is that I have decided to not go with glow engines.  I'm going to sell-off my OS 50sx engines and go with a couple of ~950W 6S motor set-ups.  With the cost of batteries and outrunners, I can't miss the opportunity to go electric.  It should also be MUCH cleaner for the booms and nacelles with fewer holes.  If all goes well, (read, I get over the current cold I have), I should be back on the P-38 in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks for the note, I really do need to get back to the Lightning.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.