Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal P-38 Rebuild

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal P-38 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Royal P-38 Rebuild

Looking forward to seeing your progress. This plane is usually not light. I will be watching to see how it goes, but I like the idea. Just a thought, but it would be easy with electric to contra rotate those props as well. I have always wanted to do this with a larger P-38.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 PM
mohr_dave
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right on counter rotating props. The only hard part is dialing in the prop and then seeing if a reverse (pusher) prop is available in the size. Once I sell off the 50s I'll pick up the motors. I have two sets (or one set for the Lightning) that I will be able to use for testing. I will most likely use the U4120-6 motor from Vinnie at www.justgofly.com. I've used the 30 motor at 900KeV and was about the equivalent of a 60. The 4120 has slightly lower Kv, which is good for running slightly larger pitch props and not breaking the 130 rule. We'll see what I finally settle on once I have a good idea of the total weight. I do know that these planes are tanks by comparison to just about everything else I've put together so we'll see.

Dave
Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Would have been tough a few years ago, but I think we have the motors ESCs and batteries to do it now, even at the weight you will be lifting.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Here are a few pics of some Royal P-38 drop tanks I made. Scale Dail is going to try them out on one of his 38's, so I thought I would post some teaser pics for him. In the meantime I may throw a set on my Top Flite P-47 for drop testing, as 47's used these tanks too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25581.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1607372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71189.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1607373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97212.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1607374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50571.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1607375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj63291.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1607376  
Old 05-12-2011, 06:40 AM
mohr_dave

Cool Drop Tanks!

Okay, so sorry for the complete lack of posts. I got side-tracked with another project, no - you really don't want to know. Anyhow, it's just about complete so the P-38 will be back on my bench shortly. No, really!!

One question for all of you out there. Have any of you used the servoless retracts on anything the size of the RoyalP-38? I'm looking at them from a simplicity point of view, not having to deal with running air lines and pumping up the air tank, or having to deal with servo wiring/linkage for mechanical retracts. Right now I have a set of old (or is that OLD) SpringAir retracts.

Dave
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That is great looking stuff Firepower. I don't think my vac forming is up to the same standards as yours but if you still need a drop tank and gear doors for the Hellcat just let me know and I'll make them up for you.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

That is great looking stuff Firepower. I don't think my vac forming is up to the same standards as yours but if you still need a drop tank and gear doors for the Hellcat just let me know and I'll make them up for you.
Oh whatever Chad! Your stuff looks great to me! I will contact you shortly.

As far as electric retracts go, its sounds like a great idea to me... but you will have to use a bigger battery. This may work out well for you if your 38 ends up a bit tail heavy. You would have to use the Eflite nose gears I would think. Whoa! That will be expensive, but cool! I would use the 105 degree ones all the way around to get the best angles on the struts.

mohr_dave, don't give up on the P-38!!! We want to see it finished, and flying! I have one I would like to pull out and build this year, and you are inspiring me!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM
mohr_dave

Firepower, have you seen the "other" brand retracts?  I looked at rotating retracts for one of my other birds (Jemco Corsair) from RCLander and the set is around $138.  These have 5mm legs.  I may purchase these and see how sturdy they look before making a decision on the P-38.  The sad thing with the P-38 is, it REALLY doesn't need all that much work to get flying.  I just got sucked into the other project that was a resurrection project (remove fabric covering, recover, re-glue all of the joints and put back together, oh, convert to electric...) and then all of the house and family projects.  It is going to be a couple of weeks before I make any real progress on the plane.  With Summer around the corner and my parents getting older, I end up helping them out at this time of the year.  I'm just glad they are still around.

Oh, has anyone used a single flap servo for their P-38?  I'm trying to figure out (thanks Lightning Fan!) if I can use one servo in the center pod or if the linkage is going to cause issues to a single servo.  My original thought was to use one servo in each boom to a set of torque rods.  If anyone has any other/better ideas, please let me know.

Dave
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
ampeater
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,

I have a copy of an article published a few years ago how to do fowlers using one servo for the royal p-38. Someone sent it to me when I was working on my p38 but I used a diiferent way. It might take a little digging but I should be able to find it. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy if you like
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dave,
dont use one servo with linkages going to your flaps it is a true nightmare!
I bought a royal cessna 310 full completed at a swap meet this winter and I've torn the whole plane down and am using
one servo per flap (4 flaps). plane was newly built too