Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Hurricane 72"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:34 AM
SunnyFlyer09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Hurricane 72

Excellent play by play Bean. I've got 2 of these in the box waiting for me.

Great job!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice looking plane. thanks for posting results of your flights. What does the plane weigh now??

Brian
Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian,

The plane weights 13 lbs 3 oz. I've tried to keep it as light as possible. Have several more flights on this plane. Not the easiest plane to land. The elevators seem to get a little sensitive just off the ground on landing. Speed control is important. The flaps are not large but they seem to help a little. The engine seems to be putting out a little more power so it is enough for this plane.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 PM
RBean

An up date on the Hurricane and a problem. First, with the pitts muffler, at the end of two or three flights the bottom of the plane drips with oil making a real mess. I finally made a straight pipe out the side. A little noisy in the pitts but a lot less mess and a little more power. Now another problem on two different flights I got uncommanded right roll. On both occasions I was able to counter with ailerons. Can't see anything on ground checks. Using a 2.4 system. Not really like a radio hit. Not that sudden but still an unwelcome. I had a thought. The flap servos are installed in mirror image with a servo reverser. Is it possible that the gas engine ignition is causing interferance in the reverser and causing momentary extension of the left flap? That would certainly cause a right roll. Never looked for this on a ground check so I guess I will. I guess I can also reinstall the servos so I only need a simple Y connection.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Bdegan

Not sure if you are using JR/Spektrum or Futaba.
But JR/Spektrum warn against the use of servo reversing Y's. They say it could cause problems with the DSM receivers.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:14 PM
RBean

Bdegan,

I removed the servo reverser, and replaced the flap servos with two new Futuba 3004s as one of the old JRs had a "bounce". Reconfigured the servo installation to use regular "Y" extension. Flew her three times today with no problems. I think the reverser was the problem causing momentary extension of one flap. Using a Futuba 2.4 radio.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
RBean

I was able to clean up the cowling after installing the straight pipe. Here is a picture of the Hurricane taken by a club member after a flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93685.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1487390  
Old 08-21-2010, 01:08 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

I have always liked this plane to bad it isn't made in the 72" wingspan anymore , she looks great you should be proud !