Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbirds & Classics over the Midwest

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbirds & Classics over the Midwest

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warbirds & Classics over the Midwest

Still to officially sign up, but I'll be there again this year as well. Scott, I have followed the Wildcat pics and am stoked to see it. The smaller Bates version there last year was one of my favorites at the event. Noah, if you've not yet made any overnight arrangements, we should talk.

Mike
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wulf190

Scott, I have followed the Wildcat pics and am stoked to see it. The smaller Bates version there last year was one of my favorites at the event. Noah, if you've not yet made any overnight arrangements, we should talk.

Mike
Thanks Mike...I'm stoked about going and flying it at one of the best fields I've been at. What an awesome event it was last year. Just can't wait!!!

Anybody out there tell me the best place to stay up there? Where do most the pilots stay? What's the nicest (clean and comfortable)??? Thanks guys!

Scott
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 PM
damroadhog

ORIGINAL: DAVAL

We were having a problem with the site, Were kind of hoping that it is now repaired. I did get you registered Damroadhog. Looking forward to seeing you there.
Dave
Thanks for all the help.

Dave
Old 05-17-2010, 06:57 AM
DAVAL
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Scott
There are a numbe of Motels that are within 3 miles of the field, Country inn - Holiday Inn - Confort Inn, And a few others I know a number of the pilots stay at the Mayville Inn , close to Carl Bachhubers
place. If you look on the Midwest west warbirds web site & cleck on lodging, You will see many places to stay. Also Many fine Resturants just minutes away from the field.
We have primative camping at the field also.
Any other questions , please just ask
Dave
Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

What time does the event end on SAturday?

I am planning on making it this year from Denver along with Ryan Haldenwanger.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
DAVAL

Hello
There will be flying up to 4:00 PM , After that will be the drawing for the Pilot prizes. To be followed with refreshments and review of the flying held at the Canadian embassy. ( I am sure we will all learn much from that). At 6:00 PM will be the catered banquet for the Pilots & guests.
Just a reminder that Sunday will be an Open day of flying and you are Welcome to fly what ever plane you might have left in your trailer.
Dave
Old 08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

Anybody ever fly the big Skymaster off the grass. It has a big block Jetcat 200.

I also have the Phantasy in Blue, F-84 with the Jetcat 200. Both heavy at take off.
Brian
Old 08-08-2010, 12:59 PM
DAVAL

Hi Brian,
The Runway is 1314 feet of smooth grass cut at 5/8" with a fairway mower. It has been said that our field is as smooth as a billiard table.
One of our members flys a skymaster F-4 with a 38 lb trust engine and comes off at about 300'. One Member has a BVM F-100 & BVM F-4
With 36 lb trust engines & does very much the same. I fly my MB-339 which is heavy at take off with a 36 lb engine again the same results.
You are more than welcome to look for yourself .
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Scott Prossen

Dave,

It is with strong regrets[sm=cry_smile.gif] that I must tell you I am not going to be able to attend this year. Ever since last year I decided I was coming back to this fantastic event. Definitely one of the nicest groups of people and venues I've flown at. I even bought and rigged a trailer for the trip to Owatonna and then to Fond du Lac for a two week double header. I have all the planes ready as well. Unfortunately some impossible things came up with regards to my family that will not allow me to travel during those dates. I can't tell you how disappointed[sm=disappointed.gif] I am. I have been looking forward to this more than any other event this year...I am heartbroken!

Already planning it for next year. I wish you all loads of fun at some of the best events in the hobby.

Kindest Regards,
Scott
Old 08-08-2010, 03:54 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

Scott:
Sorry we won't be able to see that fantastic 110 inch Wildcat of yours with the big Moki.
Brian
Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Scott Prossen

Thanks Brian. Yeah...it's killing me. Was very much looking forward to seeing you and all the guys again. For once I would of had my trailer and brought some planes to fly too! I really, really wanted to go up to both the events and visit my brother in Milwaukee in between. Very bummed out. Hope you guys have a ball. That runway will treat your jets just fine. Last year it looked better than some PGA putting greens and was plenty firm. You're gonna love it. You'll wish you could take it to the Rockies!!! He he he.

All the Best,
Scott
Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope this rain lets off. I don't have any floats for my warbirds. (or my trailer)
Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 PM
rzingsheim
My Feedback: (4)

The line marking for the field and the parking area for 850 cars and RVs is all set up. The large 40' x 80' plane storage tent is up and none too soon. The first pilots trailer showed up at 4 PM today! The field is in excellent shape. Can't wait to see all our friends again.
Roy
Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

I hope to pull in sometime Wednesday afternoon.
7 hours south.
Will have Warbird in my RV ready to camp and fly.
Another club member coming up on Thursday.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got home from NAMFI (Owatonna, MN) event at 330 today (Sunday). Took a nap and then stripped and re-packed the trailer to head to Fon du Lac on Tuesday evening. 2 great events over two consecutive weeks..
Jeff
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad news from Wisconsin... Sound like most , if not all the planes in the storage tent were damaged during a storm today when straight line winds collapsed the tent on top of the planes. It looked like 80 mph straight line winds took out EVERY tent that was there. Early reports don't sound good.

Good luck guys.

Rebel
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Scott Prossen

OMG that's awful news! I hope no one got hurt! Please keep us posted. I was supposed to go but could not make it due to last minute family stuff. I know a lot of guys that were going and I hope and pray the damage was not too bad. Please let us know how it all went. Hope everyone is OK.

Best wishes to everyone involved...wish I were there to help!

Scott
Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 PM
kgwomack
My Feedback: (1)

Well, we just sat down for dinner, when we got the call that the big tent had collapsed. Chuck, Rich and I jumped in the truck to get back to the field. When we got there, we were shocked to find the big tent had collapsed on about 70 to 80 planes. With rain pouring down we immediately started pulling planes out from under the heavy tarp and poles. Did not look good. I got off good. My p-51 didn't have scratch. But the planes on either side of mine were crushed. There are a lot of damaged planes. But, I got lucky. I'm sure there will be more info to follow.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:46 PM
kgwomack
My Feedback: (1)

But, I want add, this still the best event around. Mother nature can be cruel sometimes. I will be back. I can't wait to hear what is said at the pilots meeting tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

Even with the rain and wind on Friday night, Ryan Haldenwanger and mylelf enjoyed a fantastic weekend of flying/ THis is our first time at this event and will not be our last. I need to fugure out why my landing gear on the big F-84 won't retract in the air of Wisconsin. Works fine on the ground and in COlorado.

Again, what a fantastic even, friendly people and of course some of the most fantastic planes in the world come out of the workshops of this part of the country.

Brian OMeara
3 time us scale masters champion
Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Life got in the way of heading up again this year, but hearing this news above, I think I might at least be glad that I didn't get sickened by destruction of many a good model. My planes would have been in that tent had I been able to go.[]

Karl, did Chuck and Rich's birds come through ok too? That must have been serious weather. If the tent was similar to last years, it looked ready to withstand a pretty violent storm. Weather looked pretty iffy here yesterday too, and it helped me to feel a little better about not being able to make the trip. Next year hopefully carries better fortune..it's such a fantastic event.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got home from the event. Amazing all the people that pitched in to recover planes from all the downed tents. Most all treated each plane as if it were their own...very delicately. Shows how great the people in the hobby are! I also came out pretty good. Special thanks to Casey, Phil, Jeff and Michelle, and anyone else that tried to keep our personal (5) 10x20 tents standing (no luck). I got off with a 3 inch hole in the right top Bearcat aileron. Overall, we had some minor repairable damage, but luckily nothing destroyed. I flew all 3 aircraft the entire weekend, so I was lucky, especially compared to my storm damage from Owatonna last year (I still owe Zach and Leo a great thanks for their help in last year's storm). Great event, great people, and I have my room booked for next year.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Phil Schwartz
My Feedback: (5)

I too just got back from Warbirds and Classics over the Midwest, what a fantastic job the boys from Fon Du Lac do. Don't change a thing, it was a great event. The T-33 fly-by was worth the price of admission alone, give that guy a special thanks from me!! With that nasty storm friday night, it was wonderful seeing all the guys working together so hard to rescue all the airplanes they could, I was amazed at the relitively small amount of damage, considering the circumstances. Also condolences to Brian for the loss of his award winning Corsair, we all loved that plane! Scott and Rob, thanks a million for all your help fri. night, it was greatly apprieatiated.....Phil
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Phil, glad to see "Captain Sandpiper and Crew" made it home safely in the USS Sandpiper.

Ryan
Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
smurfjet
My Feedback: (40)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another great event was put on by the Fond Du Lac club. Thanks to all your club members from the MN gang. We met up with our friends again for some great warbird flying. All the regulars were there this year with some of the best looking planes to be seen anywhere. Carl B. was flying his new Boxcar, Dennis Crooks came out with a new 4 motor (2 props and two turbines). Paul L, Rich, Chuck and the rest of the MI gang were here. Dave Chew, Doug and Eric from Robart, Sam P, Brian and Ryan from CO, Leo and Zach, and the list go's on and on. Merlin and Jim N, Pierre, Wes M, Dave White and the rest of the Canadian Embassy who by the way really know how to put up a tent. Their canopy was the only one standing when the straight line winds ended. Next year you guys can put our tents up too......

I didn't take many pictures this year. Just too busy flying and socializing. My wife made the trip for the first time this year and we are already booked at the Mayville Inn for next year. All of the MN guys had a blast flying at arguably one of the best flying fields in the country. We managed to do a nice "Heritage" flight with 6 or 7 German planes that was really a lot of fun.

Here are some pictures from the event.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mk26279.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	1488792   Click image for larger version

Name:	nl29456.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	1488793   Click image for larger version

Name:	jh14816.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	1488794   Click image for larger version

Name:	xv64450.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	1488795   Click image for larger version

Name:	lj22581.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	1488796   Click image for larger version

Name:	rm38642.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	1488797   Click image for larger version

Name:	sx62662.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	1488798   Click image for larger version

Name:	bz77413.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	1488799  

Click image for larger version

Name:	to45783.jpg
Views:	194
ID:	1488800   Click image for larger version

Name:	nt46051.jpg
Views:	145
ID:	1488801   Click image for larger version

Name:	nh10770.jpg
Views:	62
ID:	1488802   Click image for larger version

Name:	al73104.jpg
Views:	163
ID:	1488803  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.