Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Opinions on ESM P-47 or any ESM Warbird

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Opinions on ESM P-47 or any ESM Warbird

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:07 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Opinions on ESM P-47 or any ESM Warbird

I dont have an issue with the scale fedelity of the wheels , as a matter of fact they are probably some of the best , coolest looking wheels around . The quality on the wheels will easily hold a plane that is much heavier . Now remember , this is just me , I also wont use the wheels on a 90 degree rotating plane because they shift too much weight beyond the cg and (again ) that is just me , i dont need a debate on weight . I will save the wheels for a standard warbird with regular retracts . I also have no problem with the hardwhare being good or subpar , the planes for $300 provide enought value that it does not bother me to replace them with dubro .
Its this part that bothers me
"AH, the early ones, from KMP, i think you will find the new ones betterreally why ?

When they were not the early ones but rather the "new ones " the QC was sold and touted as the best ? Same with generation 3 , 4 and most recently 5 .
This is not about picking on you for being in these post ect , but I dont like the switch back and forth and forgive all for the lack of QC when touted as the best for what we are now selling that is best ???lol , come on its the same thing as the the guy we have in Pa that was a republican now and democrat and yet wants to appeal to the republicans lol . Its quality or its not and your reputation is based on consistant quality not whats new . If I or the rc community is expected to pay more for perceived quality or what is next in quality then the past releases under the same sales picth better match the QC expecttations .

Let me finish -the esm planes , love them , love the servace of Tomas and VQ , but I will stand on the sidelines on anything released by KMP and let the other guys let us all know how they meet the qc statements because quality is not based on simple statements but what the product delivers . This from a person who has sierra , and CJ retracts and has managed to get the lesser quality CJs to work just fine
Old 05-09-2010, 07:56 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and i get my stock retracts working fine, without needing to take them into work for re-work,(i am a presicion engineer, by the way, YT is only a part time thing) i have only a few issues, not really worth the effort,

they work, i mantain them, they carry on working, simples, no? the service life of a retract unit is, shall i say, a bit up and down?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:28 AM
LDM

"i am a presicion engineer"
outstanding , I am very glad they work for you and I wish you the best

I think I know where my retracts dollars will go , as for the planes my bet is with ESM , again cant beat the quality and value for money
Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my hands on all of the newer ESM planes. For the money you can't beat them.if you were to build any of them from scratch they would cost you double or more.I am currently working on the Swordfish. I would have spent 6 months getting it to the point that it was out of the box. The fiberglass is no thinner than the byron stuff was.I have not seen the new KMP stuff yet to compare them.Tomas at VQ warbirds is the guy to go through for your orders. He has great customer service and carries everything you need for each plane.retracts etc.
Ty
Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
alanc

Yes LDM, i am indeed, and a good one too,old school engineering, none of this computer stuff,

Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 AM
alanc

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

I have had my hands on all of the newer ESM planes. For the money you can't beat them.if you were to build any of them from scratch they would cost you double or more.I am currently working on the Swordfish. I would have spent 6 months getting it to the point that it was out of the box. The fiberglass is no thinner than the byron stuff was.I have not seen the new KMP stuff yet to compare them.Tomas at VQ warbirds is the guy to go through for your orders. He has great customer service and carries everything you need for each plane.retracts etc.
Ty

did you catch the hint for some resin wheel caps????? if you can do those superb cockpits, you can do these!!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Thank your god (who ever it is for you) for competition and free market with out price and wage fixing. Having options like CMP and the like, helped with more reasonable pricing on these toys for us kids.

You could get a nice flat screen TV for what KMP was charging before. I did.

I will consider the SBD now since they are more in line with what they are.

Scratch and kit building basics will help eliminate 99% of the problems some modelers encounter when putting these arfs together right out of the box.

anyway that's my rant.

So, now off to build a mothers day dinner with the kids. Maybe my last post.

Steve
Old 05-09-2010, 09:49 AM
fockewulf37

I must have missed it. Send me a pic of what is needed..
Ty
Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 AM
frets24

ORIGINAL: alanc

mention has been made about the alloy wheels, they are NOT scale, and we certainly dont class them as scale,have you SEEN some of the scale wheels form the likes of glennisand the price of them? the wheels are generic to the various retractsit would be IMPOSSIBLE to do any other, I for one wish i could find some simple resin wheel covers that just clip in, perhaps a job for a clever guy who does cockpits???

Here it is Ty,
Refering to scale wheels and the desire for an after market cover for more scale appearing wheels. Something along these lines I think. Alan, can you clarify/comment?

So we'll expect to see your prototypes later this week, right!?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41921.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1433377  
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 AM
fockewulf37

I need a close up of the scale cover...
Thanks Ty
Old 05-09-2010, 12:08 PM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

LargeScale88-If you are dead set against a Chinese manufactured ARF, then ESM is out. Top Flite offers a couple P-47's, one that's smaller and another larger than the ESM model. Don't know a thing about these models other than the great reputation of Top Flite. Of course the $$$$ are up there. But, suppose you already know of this. I have several ESM warbirds, all current including the 5th generation retracts. I could not be happier with the quality of construction of the plane and retracts. They are good looking, well built and fly well...especially for the loot. Replacement of the valve for the retracts is sometimes necessary though. Instructions need a lot of help but with your experience this is not an issue. Just read through the instructions a couple times before building. If there are questions, Tomas at VQ will provide help. Good luck with your choice. Let us know what you decide.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:03 PM
rcflyer4fun

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, even the Top-Flite ARFs are made in China.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:39 PM
dvs1

ORIGINAL: alanc

ORIGINAL: dvs1

alanc, I have the first version of the FW-190, one of the first released. I started the build thread on it here on RCU. I believe back then they were GENIII retracts. I admit at first I was ok with them, but after a few flights they became really sloppy and alway have had problems with leaking air cylinders. I never could get them to where I was happy with them. That and the fact what I paid for them with the plane when I bought them I could have had a set of Sierra Giant retracts for like 50 dollars more.
So knowing what I know now I would have just bought the plane and bought the retracts from Sierra seperately. Im the type of person if it doesnt work right it goes in the garbage! Other than that though I am very happy with the quality of the plane itself. As stated I have the all composite version and I love it. It isn't scale but it is a great weekend flier!

AH, the early ones, from KMP, i think you will find the new ones better, on yours, did you know about the eccentric cam adjuster on them? many dont, look at the cross bars, they have a hole through them, untighten the frame bolts, insert a bar into the hole, and turn it, its on a cam, and will remove a lot of play, no doubt sierras are the dogs danglys, but at the price these retracts are now, they are worth a punt,

mention has been made about the ally wheels, they are NOT scale, and we certainly dont class them as scale,have you SEEN some of the scale wheels form the likes of glennisand the price of them? the wheels are generic to the various retractsit would be IMPOSSIBLE to do any other, i for one wish i could find some simple resin wheel covers that just clip in, perhaps a job for a clever guy who does cockpits???
Thanks alanc, but i did know about the adjusters, i did get those fairly tight. Its the rotating movement of the wheel and lower part of the strut that bothers me, my tire moves toe-in to toe-out almost 1/2 inch total on both struts.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:56 PM
alanc

i dont have any of the early gen3s to compare, but i will see what i can find out for you, to start with, check the wheels do not have any slop in the axle, i bush mine with standard tubing, this takes out a whole lot of play,
Old 05-09-2010, 03:59 PM
alanc

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

I need a close up of the scale cover...
Thanks Ty
the robart series shown are a definate improvment, the ally wheels are dished out, should be able to make some inserts ok, all aircraft
are differant,but me thinks this may be the start of a new thread
Old 05-09-2010, 05:22 PM
LDM

scalecraft /Steve your dead on , competition and the free market is making these planes very reasonable and yes its even great to see choices in the $300 range that are a super improvemnet over CMP
Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

from my inspection, I haven't started the assembly, other than to paint the rudder yellow, the glass work is well done and for the 300$ I can definitely say its a nice product.

aren't all ARF's made in SE Asia
Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 AM
P47Pilot

Ifly the ESM P-47 "Hairless Joe", have about 70 flights on it since last August, Evo26ccm gas engine, Mejzlik 18X8 2B prop, Sierra retracts. Great flying airplane, stable and forgiving. I agree with the gentleman above who said that it is hard to beat this kind of value for the money. And I also fly Top Flite P-47s.

Name:	Xv64060.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1433840  
Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 AM
greenbaron

This is my ESM P47, Evo 26 cc gas, ESM retracts (changed the filling valve), very good flyer..

Name:	Ay74257.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1433841  
Old 05-10-2010, 04:22 AM
P47Pilot

Here is a video of the ESM P47 in action at Udduvoll airfield near Trondheim, Norway,in April 2010. Flying with two other wardbirds. Video ismade with a cellphone camera, so the visual quality is quite mediocre, but take-off and landing are ok to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg0kf7EebW0

And another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPGGJZ9QFM

Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 AM
jimkim

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZKD0&P=7

Here it is!

The Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you.

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...#ixzz0nXJGPxQK

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...#ixzz0nXJGTzfq
Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 PM
LargeScale88

WOW! that p-40 looks amazing! I built zirolis p-40 about 3 years ago, has about 150 flights, flies amazing. Maybe that would be a better deal than the ESMP-47. I'm not really a fan of fibergglass fuselages. Last one I had, I had a rough landing it it cracked, not quality at all. I just wish top flite had more Almost Ready To Cover Models, instead of covered in monokote.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 PM
fockewulf37

Why wait a couple more months on a plane that may be delayed.. Look here: they will be here any day now!! I am getting one to do a cockpit for....

http://vq.vqwarbirds.com/products/ai.../ESM50P40.html

ty
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the old (72" wing span) KMP Hurricane and I can say the fiberglass fuslage is quite strong. Had a couple of mishaps and it survived with minor repairs. I reinforced the landing gear mounts and mounting area. Used Robart 700RS robo strut ready retracts and 7/16" Robart Struts and 3 3/4" Robart wheels. These are air up spring down retracts. Have not had any problems with the gear. Total cost about $230 for the gear. Total weight of plane about 13.2 lbs. Flys ok with RCGF 20cc rear carb gas engine.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 PM
twmonroe

LDM knows this from on over on rcgroups probably but I am building an ESM Mustang D as we speak.

So far I've only find minor issues with the construction..and I stress minor..My only gripe would be a huge improvement in the instructions with the kit..

I will be using the ESM retracts, taking out the set screws, loctiting them in..that right there I believe is the cause of most of the "major" esm retract mishaps..they didn't follow the mfgr recommendation to loctite the set screws.

I've read people have had the struts fall off, or the strut spin on the retract..all of these point to the set screw..If you are still concerned then mark the location where the setscrew contacts..use a file and flat spot it..then locktite the set screw..problem solved.

Other than that..they should be fine..

The above information is straight from TBM on the ESM retracts.

TM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.