Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Century Jet Gears

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Opinions on Century Jet Gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Century Jet Gears

Hello again,

I was wondering what you guys think about century jet model products landing gear thats going into my top flite P-47. They look ok, but have heard that they are junk and collapse. I usually fly with Robarts, never had any problems. My second Option is the Robart 85 degree robostrut ready with Robostruts that attatch on. Whats your opinion?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Opinions on Century Jet Gears

Stick with the robarts. I regret putting CJs in mine.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CJ were good once upon a time... go with Robart

Or Sierra Giant
Or Shindin Machine
Or Gene Barton
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM
KP.
My Feedback: (77)

Junk....Every set that I have owned for the most part fell apart. They are not made very well, rivets holding the scissors together fail early. I do not recomend them.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

I have a set that I do nothing but work on in one of my Meister p-47's. I will be pulling them out before long.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 PM
LargeScale88

So go with the Robart set? I've seen about 3 warbirds that cost alot of $$$$ that crash on landing because of stupid CJgear. I've been flying my B-17 Don Smith without any gear collapse and its a robart gear. Thanks Guys
Old 05-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Bruce Sanders

Hi guys,

We offer a 1 year warranty against manufacturer defects. Our Centurion gear come with a "Life Time" warranty if the inner struts bend on gear (made after 2008). All of our valves came with a "Life Time" warranty. If you have an issue with our gear, please contact us for customer service. Complaining without contacting any manufacturer leads to a blind alley. If we don't produce a quality product, we don't stay in business. We are available from 8 AM to 6 PM. Give us a call. If you don't want rivets, order them with button head bolts at no additional charge.

Thanks and I'll monitor this thread for your comments.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I had one set and they did not impress me. For sport I use Robart, good service when I break something. For scale I use Sierra Precision, true craftmenship, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Their old struts were terrible, but I will admit that I NEVER had their gear not work or leak. The valves and cylinders would hold hair for days and days. The struts.....another story. I bent one taxiing to the runway! This was back around 2000-2001.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

For retracts on the top flite 60 size p47 I would recommend the Robart 700 series which is air up spring down gear. It is set up to accept struts directly without those stupid adaptor wires. If you want the 85 degree gear get the 701RS gear. Then for struts get the Robart 7/16 struts- they are much stronger than their 3/8 struts for only a few bucks more, and the p47 is a relatively heavy 60 size bird.

Ed
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

I have a set of Fw 190 gear for the Meister D9. They are junk compared to the Sierra's I also have. Side by side its telling which is better, and considering they cost the same amount...

The 190 gear was so bad, the down link they "add" actually works OPPOSITE the way it is supposed to...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

theres more then a few guys here using these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXA797
with 10-12lb birds flying off off grass runways. they never had any problems with them
Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM
mike early

I've had to tinker with my Century Jet rotating retracts a time or two. Of course, it was my first warbird, my first glow plane, and my first set of retracts. So you can imagine some hard-ass landings initially. But now, I own 3 sets of them. I like them. They have some slop, yes. The toe especially. One must either use air-line restrictors, their 4-way valve, or even the robart adjustable valve. Or they'll slam so hard you'll be frightened. My favorite set-up is the robart adjustable with airline restrictors on one side up and one side down. That way they are nice and slow and one side always moves slower than the other. Very scale-like.

They never leak. The customer service is perfect. And you don't have to add oleos.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder
My Feedback: (104)

Check my profile photo gallery, I build alot so I should know. I like using CJretracts on the Meister 102" 109'S, they can be easily altered for the odd carriage angle, they get sloppy quick if that don't bother you they work every time though. Can't beat the CJ retract for the big Meister P-47. I think most large CJ gears come with a air kit as well.. As for the CJ Corsair retract I preffer Robart 148. As for some other brands I can't afford them or welling to pay retail price..
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Junk...I had a friend who had a set bend while pushing the airplane thru grass. I will say CJ has pretty good customer service fom my experience, but I have had issues with them as well. None of the MFGS are perfect. As for the CJ gear, I have owned 4 pair and never again. I think they are OK for the most part for .60 size, but not for anything large scale. For large scale, the 1/16 steel frames are too spindly, the rivets are a junk. If you can replace with button head screws fro no extra charge, then why not assemble that way from the get go I ask? They rely too much on small set screws to hold the axle angle (the scissors lock in place with a set screw so be sure to add a flat spot). They use o-rings as shims in a lot of assembly. One of the things I really dislike is no uplock....just relies on air. Often the trunnion fork (riding on the brass retract slider) will bend upward, leading to a lot of slop....why should we have to be OK with slop when most all other gear have none (Robart, Sierra, Shindin, Malkerson, etc.). I have had gear so worn in a short time, the gear has collpased on taxi! I realize there is a liftime warranty, but why should you have to send them in once or twice a year for what normally should last forever, given proper useage. Instead, a person is contantly pulling them for poor material/design). I also build a lot and would not recommend them. Robarts are OK, but they are not the best either. Personally, why not spend the little extra cash for good gear in your $2-3K model? It is a small cost in the long run. I have several Sierras....never a problem. I have 2 pair of Shindin, never a problem. I have a pair of Shindin gear in a 41 pound Me109 for 6 years that I have never had to remove due to any type of failure or mechanical issue. I am not speaking from a blind alley, but rather an experienced CJ gear user. Bruce and I have been around the block before. CJ should step up the quality. Why not 1/8 steel or aluminum side plates? Aluminum can be fashioned from simple angle stock. Why no re-design the trunnion forks to a better design so they are more robust? I know the answer is cost! Fact is, people are willing to skimp, for some reason, when it comes to retract cost. But when you damage a plane because the gear simply cannot perform the task, then, really, what's the point. Jeff
Old 05-14-2010, 02:49 PM
BigRetracts-RCU

touche !
Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my Top Flite P-47 for 14 years. The Century gear have worked every time. After about 8 years the gear got a little sloppy. I contacted Century and they sent out new bushings and the gear are tight once again. Just my experience, but a good one.

Regards,

Dave
Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
winghead

I have a pair that I have not used yet. One thing I am wondering though is are the planes with the gear within the ratings of the gear and are there always flat spots filed and jb weld installed in the cylinder where the wire strut is installed? I am not criticising anyone, I am just wondering.

I really love the looks of my century jet gear on my p-47
Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 PM
edp

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a set ordered to fit my Yellow Aircraft A6M5 Zero. THEY DIDN"T FIT! Had a smart ***** tell me " no hair off my *****" and to return them. I went w/ YA set. My friend had a set set for his .60 TF Seafury and had nothing but problems with them collapsing. Go with Robart's or Daryl.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Wow , I guess I am lucky lol , I started with robart 615 , total sh..... , toys in my opinion , moved to CJ , use my own system of J-b weld on the links and seal all areas with clear silicone .
Now I only own Sierra and CJ , bought one pair of the KMP gear now called ESM , dont even think of going in that direction use the money on the esm for a deposit on CJ and sierra
Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 PM
mike early

One day, I'll try some Sierra and see what the fuss is about.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:02 PM
edp

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mike,
You won't be sorry. I have seen his work and it is outstanding. If they can hold up Bob Campbell's 1/3 scale 100+ pound P-51D, they are a good product. They also hold up Matt Millers 100+ pound F4U. They are not cheap but Daryl's work isn't crapolla either.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 PM
fly4mation
My Feedback: (14)

Go with either the robarts or sierra, Ive used all three and will never buy another set of CJ.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
mike early

New electric retracts might be nice too....
Old 05-16-2010, 07:27 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Electric retracts are ok for smaller planes but they don't have the umph to lift heavy loads. Big struts and large wheels put quite a load on the retract mechanism. There's the moment arm of the entire strut to the axel center to consider when calculating force.

Hank Likes produces (produced?) a line of electric retracts. They aren't cheap nor are they light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.