Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

HE-162 Group Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

HE-162 Group Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:41 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: HE-162 Group Build

I agree with carl.. brakes not really necessary, even off pavement, you can install a small piece of fuel tubing between the strut and tire to add a small amount of rolling resistance to the wheels to act like a brake.

EDF wise, we won't be able to use a 90 or 100mm size as they just don't have the thrust, the highest advertised thrust rating i have seen from a 90mm is 12lbs. An electric dynamax setup is going the be the cheapest way, as they can be had for under $1000 and less complete plug-n-ply w/ batteries.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:57 AM
BadLemon
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dvs1

I was just thinking, this is my first tricycle landing gear setup airplane ever. All my other planes have always been taildraggers. This may be interesting. With this in mind what are your thoughts on using brakes for this bird?

I've been thinking about power plants too and I am pretty sure I will be going with EDF just because of my budget. If it weren't for the sist 190 I would do turbine, but it has been chewing a hole in my pocket. I'm trying to narrow the EDF choices down, what do you guys think would be better, 90 through 120 mm. I'm having a hard time finding decent 120 mm units. What would be the best manufacturer in the EDFs? This is all new territory for me especially with the electric. My expertise with electrics is only with heli's. I have been strictly gas and glow before this build.

dvs1

What do you think the target weight will be for the 162? I think you will need a 100 to 120 EDF for it. I have been researching EDF's looking for a good setup for my Airworld Me-262 and found the hot systems are BVM, dynamax and Stumax to be very good choices. The thrust ranges are from 11 to 20lbs in the 100 to 120mm class and the jet sound is very realistic and not that dentist drill sound. Here is a link with most of the top of the line EDF's on the market today most of them have a video to watch. I have a pair of Stumax 90mm's on back order for the Me-262 when I get them I'm going to install one of them into a Top Cat 90mm sport jet I have to test them out and see what they will do.

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...&Category=1082
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been thinking about power plants too and I am pretty sure I will be going with EDF just because of my budget. If it weren't for the sist 190 I would do turbine, but it has been chewing a hole in my pocket. I'm trying to narrow the EDF choices down, what do you guys think would be better, 90 through 120 mm. I'm having a hard time finding decent 120 mm units. What would be the best manufacturer in the EDFs? This is all new territory for me especially with the electric. My expertise with electrics is only with heli's. I have been strictly gas and glow before this build.
I have been watching this threadI have the smaller Midwest HE-162 in a box to build after I clear the bench off of my current projects. Although it is not the same as what you guys are doing I would like to see what you do and maybe apply some of the things you doto mine.

I am not into electrics but I got these links from a guy who fly EDF.

Hesupposedly used this fan for a Yellow Aircraft Starfire. He said it flew good but I have not seen it fly. Also not sure how this would compare to the HE-162
http://www.ductedfans.com/Schubeler_DS75_DIA.html

Here is the home page for that site that has a lot of EDF stuff on it..
http://www.ductedfans.com/

Here are a couple of links toweb pages he sent thatare calculators for determing what you need.
http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/fancalc_e.htm
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/conversion.htm

Good luck on your builds....
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was hoping for a target weight of 15 lbs but I am going to use 16-18 lbs as my weight just in case things get heavier than anticipated.

I was looking at the BVM EVF2 as fan of choice but at a grand plus batteries I might as well go turbine. The BVM fan would definatly be a good choice as you could pretty much acheive a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. Still undecided but I do really like the BVM fan. Plus I do want that turbine sound if I stick with electric. Who knows by the time this is finished EDF's might be down in price to $200 Seriously though BVM, Dynamax and Stumax all look like good choices. Unfortunatley It doesn't look like a 15 lb plus fan is in the price range I was hoping. If price for fan and batteries approaches $1700 I may just chose to go turbine.

Anyone have a turbine they want to sell cheap
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM
invertmast

Well, I was hoping for a target weight of 15 lbs but I am going to use 16-18 lbs as my weight just in case things get heavier than anticipated.

I was looking at the BVM EVF2 as fan of choice but at a grand plus batteries I might as well go turbine. The BVM fan would definatly be a good choice as you could pretty much acheive a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. Still undecided but I do really like the BVM fan. Plus I do want that turbine sound if I stick with electric. Who knows by the time this is finished EDF's might be down in price to $200 Seriously though BVM, Dynamax and Stumax all look like good choices. Unfortunatley It doesn't look like a 15 lb plus fan is in the price range I was hoping. If price for fan and batteries approaches $1700 I may just chose to go turbine.
The XPS dynamax extreme "pro" on 11s puts out 14+lbs of thrust pulling 91amps. Price is $799 for the fan, motor, ESC and a set of 11s 5000mah lipo's.

The problem is, they have stock issues.. not sure why, but may be worth-while to give them a call about it..
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 PM
dvs1

Thomas, That is what I am looking for and in a great price range, again you deliver!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
invertmast

I can be helpfull at times. I am with you though, if the EDF unit and 1 set of batteries is anything more than about $1200, i'll just put a couple extra hundreds into it for a turbine.. The thing I like most about this plane, is it will fit in the back of my truck, which means i can drag it to work and fly it their during lunch I guess i need to actually start work on the thing first though. lol but my buddy just got the plans for the Anderson Arado, so it looks as if my 2nd bench will be taken over by that project...
Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
dvs1

Hey!!! What about my F-14!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM
invertmast

Hey!!! What about my F-14!
That is what will be on the "big" bench. lol.. Now to find the $2800 i need to buy Tooling resin, laminating resin and another 150-200 yards of fiberglass cloth..
Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 PM
dvs1

Oh ok I know the initial cost of making those molds is quite high. Hence another reason the kits like the SisT sell for so much. Got to pay for the time and materials.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

A cool thread! I see where you have been hanging out Thomas

Well if my CJM He-162 listed on RCU doesn't sell, I may have to join you guys. If I build it, I'll be putting a Dyn-E-Max Beast in it.

Watching with interest!

Paul
Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM
invertmast

Oh ok I know the initial cost of making those molds is quite high. Hence another reason the kits like the SisT sell for so much. Got to pay for the time and materials.
yeap. that doesn't include the materials for making all the detail parts molds either... i'll probably have another couple hundred in that stuff.. and then their is the center wing spar carry through for the wing. That part alone uses 8 yards of 12k carbon cloth @ $58/yd.. but i've run the load testing on that in solidworks and it will support 500lbs before failing.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 PM
dvs1

What are you planning for the Sweeping wing, I would like to know how you will be accomplishing that engineering?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
invertmast

What are you planning for the Sweeping wing, I would like to know how you will be accomplishing that engineering?
a pair of 250lb force linear actuators. one per wing. I'm also going to be doing flight testing with one swept and one locked un-swept.. Should make for some interesting video. All of this will be done w/o incidence guide tracks as well.. how that is going to be done is a secret
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 PM
dvs1

Dave, did your plans show up yet? I hoped they would get to you by now.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 PM
dvs1

ORIGINAL: invertmast

a pair of 250lb force linear actuators. one per wing. I'm also going to be doing flight testing with one swept and one locked un-swept.. Should make for some interesting video. All of this will be done w/o incidence guide tracks as well.. how that is going to be done is a secret
What do you expect the all up weight is going to be on the F-14?, and what are you doing for landing gear?

Speaking of which, should I call Darrell at Sierra and get an idea what gear would run or do you guys still think we should make our own off existing air cylinders?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, did your plans show up yet? I hoped they would get to you by now.
no...[&o]

thanks

dave
Old 05-24-2011, 04:50 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Landing gear is 100% scale, and myy iwn design, it mimics he fll scaale 100%. Weight..not sree yet. Probly 55+lbs

What do you expect the all up weight is going to be on the F-14?, and what are you doing for landing gear?

Speaking of which, should I call Darrell at Sierra and get an idea what gear would run or do you guys still think we should make our own off existing air cylinders?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM
BadLemon
My Feedback: (37)

Anyone have a turbine they want to sell cheap

I think I would go with a turbine as well with that all up weight. That would be awesome to see, hear and fly! Do you have a turbine weaver? they are not that big of deal to get I went with a buddy when he got his I could of gotten mine as well but I was to chicken to fly his Bobcat. If you do go with a turbine you will need to have brakes for sure. The 162 would be a nice addition to your fleet of Axis Warbirds. To Cool!

I've been flying a 60mm Ta-183 Huckebein Alfa foamy believe it or not it is very tricky to takeoff then it is to land but a blast to fly! You can't make sharp turns but loops, rolls and vertical is no problem and it will move out as well. I was looking for a larger 183 kit and found that Mike Warren of Performance-edf is working on a 90 to 100mm size kit of the Ta-183 so I've been put on the list for one. I don't know what it is about German Jets like the 162, 183 and 262 and all the others they just suck me to that era.

http://www.performance-edf.biz/futureproducts.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26220.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1613941  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
dvs1

Nope, don't have a turbine waiver yet, frankly I don't even know where to get one in my area. The closest field is 80 miles away and it is a private club. I just fly on the 10 acres behind my house.

I agree that the TA-183 is a cool plane. I wouldn't mind a 1/5 scale one of those to go with my axis collection. I came across the on one you listed the other night when looking at EDFs I think it would be a fun one to fly as well.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

My CJM HE-162 has a EDF converted Dynamax fan. I did the conversion with the EJF adapter and a Scorpion 4035-630kv motor. I have 4 3000mah 6S 40C packs in a 2s2p setup. The ESC is a CC 160HV. I don't know how much it all weighs or how much thrust I'm getting, but it turns the fan at 26.5K rpm. The old OS 91 probably got about 22K rpm on a good day and the Dynamax made around upto 15 lbs of thrust installed according to Tom Cook. It gets off the ground just fine but like Carl said it is squirrely and I can't really control it on the takeoff roll on pavement. Need a gyro or try on grass or maybe a better pilot. Good luck with the stick built plane but CJM's kit is only $495 plus the retracts which you will need with your stick built kit so it is pretty reasonable. Tempest has a good deal on the kit and retracts listed in the classified section.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

We have been flying the CJM HE162 on the E Turbax fan 120MM with decent performance. I would encourage you to go with the XPS 127mm Pro fan on 12S. You will be happy with the performance. Beef up your landing gear mounts as the stock build is not enough for the extra weight.

I love BVM for the most part, but the EVF2 is tempermental on inlet design. You have to get it just right or you will have about a 40% loss of AMPs due to improper airflow...Not a slam on BVM...I love their products, but again you have to nail inlet design or your fan wont perform...read my ME262 forum and see my lesson learned here. Other fans dont seem as finiky at the BVM fan.

Also we are flying 19-21 pound aircraft on the Tam Jet TJ100 fan all day with amazing performance.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44889.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1614200  
Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
dvs1

Thanks for the input Pandi and lrb75, every bit of info on fan units and the HE-162 is much appreciated!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM
invertmast

Thanks for the input Pandi and lrb75, every bit of info on fan units and the HE-162 is much appreciated!
+1

DVS, have you looked into seeing if anyone would be interested in doing short-kits? Maybe some-place like Laser design solutions (LDS) would be interested in selling 3 short kits for a good price
Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should check with Jose from Fliteskin... He's already expressed interest and has all the resources if you do. I know he did when I spoke with him... I may opt out in lu of the Ta 183 that was just spoke of, (I've contacted them more info on their development. I have an available top end edf that would fit)... Problem is I have to wait!

So I decided to bash my Me 163 from Flyboys models with Fliteskin . I'm eyeing the kit on RCU though, so I guess I'm not out yet!

Casey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.