Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA vs Arizona Model...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Balsa USA vs Arizona Model...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
greggK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA vs Arizona Model...

Hi All,
Do you have an opinion which Nieuport kit would be more favorable... I don't have experience with either. I have been doing ARFs for a while but want to get back the the "roots" of the hobby. Thanks for your responses.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM
bunsen

Default RE: Balsa USA vs Arizona Model...

Hi

I have a Balsa USA Nieuport 28C1 that I built several years ago and fly it fairly regularly. The kit went together well and the directions were very helpful. I have been VERYVERY happy with it.
As I recall the hardest part was to get the stringers from the rear of the cockpit to the tail lined up so they looked right. No big deal but just took time. It has a flat bottomed airfoil and is pretty light. Flys almost like a trainer with the SAITO 150 at half throttle. A SAITO 120, or other similar sized engine would have been fine. Used the spun aluminum cowl fromBALSAUSA.

The jig for the cabanes worked out well. Be sure to use Stay Brite solder on the Cabane music wire.
If you fly it is any kind of wind go for a lot of aileron/rudder travel and use lots of expo. It does tend to blow around but all WW1 planes do.

Be sure to install the 2/56 wires to support the stab/rudder as this area is a bit weak but OK. Particularly where the front of the Stabilizer joins the fuselage. Keep the tail as light as you can as the nose moment is quite short.

All in all I have been very happy. I would recommend it as a first WW1 type kit .

Ray

Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 PM
wildbills21

I woul definetly go with BUSA all the way. Too many negative things said about Arizona models. Go to the RC Scale Builder thread page 5 Arizona Models and see for yourself.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 PM
davidgeorge212

I am not to sure I would order from Arizona models again. I had them copy a set of plans for me and they turned out ok but they took 7 weeks to print them and ship them. After shopping around I realized they were not the cheapest either. I havent orderd anything else from them so I cant comment on anything like their kits but you can probably be gauranteed a loooonnng wait to get what ever you buy. The communication with the guy that runs it is not all that great either. It takes him a few days to a week to respond via email.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 AM
eagledancer

if you want a sunday flyer go with balsa usa, if you want a scale kit stay away from az and go to proctor-enterprises!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Oberst
Banned

BUSA lumber yards is the way to go.

Pete
Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

With BUSA you will get what they advertise to your door in about a week. Fabulous kit and flyer. With AZM a big headache and a long wait.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:51 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: greggK

Hi All,
Do you have an opinion which Nieuport kit would be more favorable... I don't have experience with either. I have been doing ARFs for a while but want to get back the the ''roots'' of the hobby. Thanks for your responses.
2 threads you should really scan through before you decide who to buy from
Don't say you didn't know
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99..._1/key_/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9747992