Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Replace him with Elmer Fudd
25.00%
Replace him with Evel Merlin the guru of all warbirds
12.50%
replace him with G Pete
6.25%
have Evel and G pete be the batman and Robin of the Military channel
12.50%
do our own show with real knowledgeable people
9.38%
do a mail in campaign and tell the show to get serious
18.75%
grin and bear it and feel superior to Max
6.25%
every wrong pic or factoid you get a shot
9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Max don''t know

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Max don''t know

I watch the series "Great Planes" on the Military Channel and I am convince beyond a doubt that Max Nouga and crew don't know crap about the airplanes they feature. The pictures, video editing look like they were done by amatures. I am 100% convinced that we could do a better job, especially iin the interviews and the materials.......what do you guys think? If it wasn't for a tel-promptor and Wiki, Max would be lost. So to make this interesting I will make it a poll. If I signed my name off to this, I would make sure to the best of my ability that all was accurate.

What do we do with Max?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Max don''t know

FWIW One might not Bit$H too much,they might (Military Channel) might replace Great Planes with Great MRE's . Heck even a classics like Victory at Sea and Air Power had mistakes in them . How many of the film clips have their negatives reversed .Its just something that goes along with programing .Enjoy the program and remember the locations of the aircraft so you could plan a trip to their locations
Joe
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM
denoferth
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say it but the "history channel" makes so many stupid mistakes it makes me wonder if their editor isn't some lefty wing nut out to piss off any knowable person bored enough to be watching their shows. They sure aren't geared toward the aircraft buff; which is strange as who else would watch them? With the exception of some of the British shows most are talking about one plane while showing another. How many times do we have to see the same three US Navy SBD's bombing Pearl Harbor, or in one memorable episode, have Max next to a F6F talking about the "round engine" while the screen shifts to a flight of P-47's. Both have the same "round engine" but they didn't even make that point! I used to write to them, pointing out the errors and offering to review and correct the scripts they even answered back once or twice but I finally gave up. Like oriental instruction manual writers, they simple don't realize, (or care), how bad some of their stuff is described. Maybe the worst so far was the Horten "stealth fighter" segment. So full of out-of-sequence dates and made up "facts" leading to erroneous conclusions that it Michael Moore could have written it. I watch it for the pictures now, with the sound off so my blood pressure doesn't get too high. Sad.

Dennis
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Now all that will be lost, like tears in rain.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All have a few mistakes
but
MAX and his crew - are the worst I have ever seen, they talk about one plane and show another or intersperse it with totally off the wall information
this guys is suppost to be an AF pilot
how could he know so little

I do think a high school kid could do a better job

I watch EVERYTHING about WW2 BUT I will not watch another show of GREAT PLANES just a bunch of nonsense
You know a lot of people are getting their information about planes from his show how sad

I am glad to know someone else noticed his drivil
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've REPEATEDLY emailed these guys.

They have NO interest in doing history properly at all. They claim to "heavily research" every episode, but as we all know its BUNK. But they claim again to have some of the best folks researching for them.

Hell I'd even help them for FREE.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
denoferth
My Feedback: (71)

Yeah, I offered free help as well.

Oh well, I shouldn't think we should be too hard on old Max. After all, he flies some of the most sophisticated aircraft being flown in the world today. If you want an earful on pilot knowledge, just ask any old time maintenance troop. Reminds me a lot of the gun control people who are absolutely proud NOT to know anything about guns; as though such knowledge would somehow diminish them in the eyes of fellow liberals. An example of that was a friend of mine who moved into a collage town and was summarily ostracized when the inhabitants discovered he was a "gun freak"! They stopped inviting him to social functions and, in general, looked down upon him until he essentially stopped shooting. We used to compete in ISPCA matches together.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Ram-bro

well it is good to know that I am not the only one who sees the stuff they pass off as fact. So Evel, what did you vote for?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Ram-bro

Heck I wonder sometimes if the guys he interview wonder if this guy is a tool or what. He asks some questions I believe because he really dowsn't know. Does anyone care what size the wheels are on a plane?....LOL
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 AM
telejojo

There was a show in the late 80's called Great planes but I have'nt seen it since.It was better than the one called Great planes now.It had a lot of planes I did'nt know about.All you need for a show is money for the time on Dis,History ch,etc.A lot of shows on the history channel have nothing to do with history.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Oberst
Banned

I voted for Evil Merlin to take over the Military Channel, and when ever bias or propaganda shows its ugly head, Evil smacks them upside their head or gets rid of them.

I've called and E-mailed them including the History Channel about the "in-accuracies" and all I got back was, "Thank you for watching the show." Yes, all of Germany were evil Nazi's back in WWII and only America and Britain, had anything advanced or the best at that time to beat them. Japan? They were all suicidal buck tooth maniacs that had nothing good at all.

I'm afraid that type of thinking still exists do to the "Victor always being right," and people believing it today like good little programmable robots, or they can't fathom the thought that Britain and the United States almost got their high and mighty derriere kicked.

I'm, glad that Germany and Japan did loose, I just don't believe everything I read or watch, I try to get it all from the horses mouth from the guys that were there before they all die off, and all that we have left is in-accurate writings and shows to teach our kids (and adults) what really went on. Again JMHO. Just my veiw of it all, I'm sure I'll piss someone off as usual. [sm=lol.gif]

Pete
Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM
ARUP

What's a Tee Vee?[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 PM
G-Pete

Ram-Bro, the third option is pretty funny. Sure, me as narrator with that heavy German accent

I voted for the
do our own show with real knowledgeable people
option. This could be fun, besides that I have an idea for a monthly thread. Each month a different airplane - just dumping little known facts about that airplane in there. The thread would on top a poll to vote for the next month airplane.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mail-in campaign!
That's a great idea to harness the power of all these knowledgeable people on this forum. Might actually accomplish something..

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

... I have an idea for a monthly thread. Each month a different airplane - just dumping little known facts about that airplane in there. The thread would on top a poll to vote for the next month airplane.

Start it up! sounds like it will make some very valuable research threads for the users of this forum. Very on-topic i think
Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Ram-bro

you know the warbird thread is hungering for something like that Pete, besides I cant read your german accent and if it shows thru, I am sure Oberst would translate it for us. I think it would be a great thread, something that could garner alot of interest and input. Pick a model, get drawings, pics ,history, some trivial pursuit items and maybe even Max Mouga would chime in to throw us all off on a tangent. I say go for it.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
G-Pete

OK guys - done

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9976791/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9976791/tm.htm[/link]