RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10576473-carf-f4u-1-corsair-build-thread.html)

ram3500-RCU 06-12-2013 06:36 PM

RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: JSZ

You see Frank T. Has one of these up for sale here on RCU
I passed that on to Mike. Even has the Moki 250 with it.

ram3500-RCU 06-12-2013 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: panhandler

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Dan, give me a call if you can. I have a question on the exhaust shrouds.
Gary ,, trying to call you but your phone goes to message.
Sorry Dan. Been out battening down. Big storm coming our way. Had to call all the kids and make sure they had all the toys indoors as well.

ram3500-RCU 06-12-2013 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our company finished this up today just ahead of the storms. Composite decks are a lot of work, just like composite aircraft. :D Also put this slider in where a window had been. This deck also has a water drainage system that keeps it dry underneath.

MANFRED 06-12-2013 09:11 PM

Nice deck

DrScoles 06-13-2013 06:01 AM

Nice deck Gary, I have a 700 square foot Trex deck, one pressure wash a year and it looks like new.

ram3500-RCU 06-13-2013 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Nice deck
One of those rare occasions where I pulled out the 'it is my thread card' and had no real point. :DJust a little insight as to what I do as a trade. Finish carpentry is my thing. I find it interesting to know what guys do outside the hobby and how things corrolate. Maybe others do too.

DrScoles 06-13-2013 08:17 AM

Nice deck
One of those rare occasions where I pulled out the 'it is my thread card' and had no real point. :DJust a little insight as to what I do as a trade. Finish carpentry is my thing. I find it interesting to know what guys do outside the hobby and how things corrolate. Maybe others do too.
If I showed you guys what I do, you might not be able to eat lunch that day! LOL

stivvy 06-13-2013 10:54 AM

Nice deck
Totally agree Gary,

We know little about each other except for the shared knowledge on these threads.

Good to get little snippets about how we make a living in these tough times.
Me, I earn a crust in building services consultancy - heating, lighting, power etc to commercial buildings, offices etc.

Pays the bills (sometimes) and allows me to pursue this top end hobby.

Steve D

ram3500-RCU 06-13-2013 02:55 PM

I know a lot of modelers that are either in or connected to the trades. Seems to correlate to building. Most guys I know that are in professions like law, medicine, or investing, are more buyers and sellers of what they operate, with exceptions of coarse. It's all good, and I enjoy the company of just about any modeler in this persuasion, regardless of how or why he or she is in it. But I DO love the stories.:D

ram3500-RCU 06-13-2013 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Nice deck
If I showed you guys what I do, you might not be able to eat lunch that day! LOL

Now you HAVE to tell us. You know this, right?:D

ram3500-RCU 06-14-2013 09:03 PM

I was asked recently about a problem a modeler had with restricted flap travel. The hinges were glued perpendicular to the trailing edge and it was thought that they should be at a slight angle for unrestricted travel. The flap hinges are indeed glued perpendicular to the trailing edge. The cluster of hinges where the wing bends will flex when the flaps are fully deployed. For this reason, this flap bolt is left slightly loose. This allows the movement necessary for full travel. Self locking nuts keep the bolt from coming loose. The manual does explain this flap mounting procedure.

wphilb 06-15-2013 04:03 PM

A few pics of his wouldn't be bad, would like to see how it's done "right" I have several "wrong" ways on my planes! Not urgent.<div>
</div><div>Whit </div>

ram3500-RCU 06-16-2013 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: wphilb

A few pics of his wouldn't be bad, would like to see how it's done ''right'' I have several ''wrong'' ways on my planes! Not urgent.<div>
</div><div>Whit </div>
I have some pictures that will help. Can't post them in the system right now. I'll try later.

ram3500-RCU 06-16-2013 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, got them to post. Here you can see the hinges in question. They are installed perpendicular to the trailing edge as all the others. You can see how and why they need to 'flex' in the location where the wing bends. This is why the bolts need to be left loose.

Chris Nicastro 06-16-2013 08:25 PM

How much flex are we talking about?
I can understand maybe a pivot ball in the hinge but I cant agree that flexing is a good idea or proper method. The hinge center lines should be concentric and parallel. Both hinge planes should be parallel in vertical and longitudinal so there is no binding or flexing. You should be able to take a long straight rod and pass it through both hinges per flap with no problem and the flap would not bind.

Somewhere I have close ups of the flap hinges on a full scale F4U-5NL if their of any value to demonstrate this I will post them.

I would be concerned over the life of the plane with use and vibration that the hinge material or glue joint will weaken and fail.

Chris Nicastro 06-16-2013 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you look closely at this photo you can see the hinge splits. When the flap retracts the hinge comes together and looks like its one piece.

ram3500-RCU 06-17-2013 06:52 AM

This is the way CARF designed it to work and I see no problem with it. .It posses no threat to the glue joints and the flex is slight. It is an obvious deviation from the full scale, but there are many such compromies on our models that work just fine.

ram3500-RCU 06-17-2013 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple shots of the split hinges we installed on our Top Gun Corsair. The hinges flex. Scale looking but not totally scale in function.

Chris Nicastro 06-17-2013 02:45 PM

And they still flex some? Interesting, maybe a pivot ball in the joint would cure that.

ram3500-RCU 06-17-2013 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

And they still flex some? Interesting, maybe a pivot ball in the joint would cure that.
Yes, they do Chris. You can see why they would, with the two flaps going in opposite directions. it really isn't a problem.

In fact, I like the all the hinge systems that CARF designed for this plane. Flaps have their bolted hinges, the ailerons and elevators have the rods slide through the hinges, and the rudder has yet another type, but all work beautifully.

wphilb 06-17-2013 05:36 PM

What is the hinge material? G10?<div>
</div><div>Whit</div>

ram3500-RCU 06-17-2013 05:49 PM

</div><div>Whit</div>
Something like that. They are strong.

BTW Whit, the shipment of gun port fairings came today. You wanted two sets?

stivvy 06-17-2013 11:03 PM

</div><div>Whit</div>

Hi Gary,

Are you ok to ship a set of gun port fairings to me in the UK ?

(Also the exhaust shrouds).

Cheers

Steve D

samparfitt 06-18-2013 02:56 AM

Chris,
It would be difficult to remove the flexing plus there is very little of it. It's like taking a sheet of plywood and flexing it a few inches, no real structural damage is done. I've never seen G10 break so flaps should be good for the life of the plane.

wphilb 06-18-2013 03:42 AM

Gary,

i would like three please.

What is the hinge material? G10?<div></div><div>Whit</div>