RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10576473-carf-f4u-1-corsair-build-thread.html)

Corsair2013 10-10-2013 09:07 AM

Gary,

When you get a minute would you let me know if you use any type of Power Box Expander in your large planes and if so what brand would you suggest? Also the type of Opto-isolated ignition system do you use?

I am starting my P-40 82" build and have everything, including your steel powder, but the Power Expander and Ignition Cut-off.

If anyone else wants to jump in please do as I am looking for a high quality system.

I was looking at the Redwing RC Yellow Power Expander with built in Regulator and CDI circuit.

Thanks

elmshoot 10-10-2013 11:08 PM

Keith,
i will jump in. A great web site to read about power systems is Hangtime hobbies they have a great discussion on how to power your plane. For a scale plane in the 100" or less with normal flight speeds we tend to over kill our install and introduce additional failure points. Bottom line is that a power box IS NOT NEEDED. I am flying a 32 pound mustang at over 200 MPH! It would astound most as I have a very simple radio system. It is high quality throughout but simple. Start with high end JR digital high torque on each control surface. 2 aileron 2 elevator and one rudder with steerable tail wheel. Then a quality JR RX that has the switch there to interrupt power to the RX so the battery power doesn't flow through the switch. In other words it fails open. I have two A123 2300 MAH running to the RX. Retract and the three engine servos do not need to be the high end stuff the std JR sport servo will be just fine.
Dont waste your money on a power box of any sort for a scale airplane. Go read Hang Time hobbies tutorial it will take them through what you need from a guy who has been there and done it.
my plane runs with the USRA Unlimited race class with 5 rip snorting planes airborne for the races. Hands down the most fun iI have had in aviation since landing on an Aircraft Carrier!
Sparky

DrScoles 10-21-2013 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my kit today! I think Gary's intakes are just a bit nicer than these.....;)http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1931569

DrScoles 10-22-2013 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in love with a big chunk of fiberglass!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1931866

vasek 10-22-2013 07:39 AM

Well, she is beautiful !

Corsair2013 10-22-2013 02:00 PM

Thanks Elmshoot for the info. Will take a look at the Hang Time article.

I figured I was going to over-kill it some but I just worry about all the time and money then have something fail. I am totally into KISS and simplicity. I do have heavy duty servos on everything - higher than was was suggested so I should be okay there. Power drain should not be an issue as I have same (2 each) A123 2300 batteris selected.

I will be flying easy and scale most of time anyway at least for a few months until I get her all set up and get some experience.

Keith

Chris Nicastro 10-22-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by DrScoles (Post 11644211)
I'm in love with a big chunk of fiberglass!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1931866

I did the same thing and assembled it next to my Miata in the garage... Its just about as big as my car! Lol I cant wait to build it

ram3500-RCU 10-23-2013 07:20 PM

Sorry for being absent guys. I finally had a chance to take a real vacation with my wife, and took my brother and sister in law along. For our 40th wedding anniversary, we spent a week in San Francisco, and a week in Santa Monica. While gone, our 7th grand child was born (a few scary hours and a C section, but all is good), so on our return we got caught up on all that, and then a few other personal things came up that needed attention.

Finally able to get back to model aviation. I'll be getting in touch with some of you via emails and PMs, and thank you all for keeping things going here.

Sparky, I liked your post and totally agree. Very good recommendations.

ram3500-RCU 10-23-2013 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by DrScoles (Post 11644211)

I know how you feel. Also, I'm always amazed at how light and strong they are. Other than for mounting equipment like the tail gear and servos, no bulkheads or formers needed. Those wing bolts floor me as well.

You will have a spare cowl already.;)

ram3500-RCU 10-23-2013 07:43 PM

Kieth, you will be fine.

I use (2) 3200 A123 on the JR 1222X RX. You are driving a lot of high end servos, and like having a lot of reserve. I put a 3200 A123 on the light system, a 2700 or so 2 cell LiPo on the new Moki ignition, an A123 2200 to 3200 on the electric pump, and another 2 cell 2200 LiPo on the electric gear. The gun system uses 24 1.5V AA batteries (36V).

Simplicity rules, but this aircraft screams for detail and realism. She wears it well and with great distinction.

I know of several new builds under way around the country and look forward to hearing from you all on your progress, methods and Ideas. Please feel free to share your experiences here.

ram3500-RCU 10-23-2013 07:58 PM

Kieth,

You have gotten some good advice already here. I will simply add that I have not use a power box on any of my large war birds either.

I do use JR 1222 RXs with duel batteries and the "soft" switch as had been described.

The voltage to the servos is restricted by the connectors anyway. Down and Locked is addressing this issue with new products for power distribution, and I have discussed with Mitch the possibility of a duel RX system that could separate the wing system from the fuselage, deliver all the available power to the servos, and eliminate the need for all those extensions and connections during assembly (I know of a CARF Corsair that was lost when it's owner and pilot crossed a wing fold wire with the gear wire, resulting in a spectacular crash when the wing folded as the gear switch was moved). The encoding is proprietary to the radios, so this gets complicated, I'm told. Would be nice though. Think about the possibilities. No air needed (all electric components), and assembly would consist of bolting the wing on. Two independent systems, wing and fuselage. Tasty.

ram3500-RCU 10-23-2013 08:12 PM

Stock intakes. Yes, What a joke those things are. Pathetic IMO, for such a wonderful scale plane in most respects.

Turn them upside down, and you can mix epoxy in them.;)

The total lack of wing gun detail is another shortcoming IMO. Not even a location is given. We have addressed this, but why wouldn't CARF have done this in the mold?

Like most things man makes, it isn't perfect. Slight differences in the port and starboard stab roots and wing tip lights, some inaccuracies in surface detail and tail shape, are some of the imperfections, but most can be fixed for a true museum scale ship, if a guy likes.

If left stock, she is still the bell of the ball at most flying sites, with that big radial under the cowl. That 3-blade prop set at 17 or 18" pitch cuts through the air with a sound that is breath taking. She tracts straight and true in air with almost none of the tail waggle smaller scale Corsairs display. With some practice, take offs and landings will be some of the most realistic looking and sounding you will make with a WWII fighter.

But first, we build.:)

DrScoles 10-24-2013 05:36 PM

Anxiously awaiting all my goodies Gary!

Corsair2013 10-24-2013 05:48 PM

Thanks Guys - I really appreciate the help from everyone.

Will keep it simple and move forward.................. Will post some video when I maiden her.

Keith

ram3500-RCU 10-24-2013 05:54 PM

Hello Steve. The person to contact is Gotz Voglsang. Here is his site. http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/vintage.html

I don't think the Rainbow ignition is available for the 215. The new Moki ignition is high energy and accepts up to 10V input. It is available for all Moki radials, and comes as standard with new units. It has the same connectors on it as the original "top hat" ignition uni, and connects to your engine in the same way as your original one. It is a different shape, so your mount may need to change. You will also want to get as close to the 10V as possible. I don't have a regulator that goes to 10V, so I use a 2 cell LiPo and the 7.4V is working great for mine. on the 150 cc I have it on.

Gotz can supply you with the ignition and plenty of good info on everything that is available.

Hope this helps.

ram3500-RCU 10-24-2013 05:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The Cleveland National Air Show is Back on in 2014. In addition to the full scale show including the Blue Angels, the AMA puts on a show each morning. Hope to fly one of these CARF Corsairs as part of the air show. I have a standing invitation. Would be cool to have my 118" Zero done and fly them together. Anyone like to join us? A formation of Corsairs would be awesome. We fly off the full scale runway. I flew a Meister P-47 and an AMR 14' Decathlon at the 2012 air show.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932728 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932729 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932730 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932731http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932732

ram3500-RCU 10-24-2013 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DrScoles (Post 11646086)
Anxiously awaiting all my goodies Gary!

:D

elmshoot 10-24-2013 06:46 PM

Gary,
i brought an EA-6B Prowler in for the Cleveland airshow in 1980. I can't believe it was that long ago! Burke Lakefront airport at that time didn't have an instrument approach that was compatiable with our $70m airplane (the most expensive production airplane at the time)
So we just did a let down over the lake to VFR under the clouds at 500' turned around and used our radar to find the shoreline then worked our way around and landed. Corky Fornoff was doing a solo Bearcat routine since his Dad had been killed a few years prior in his Bearcat during another airshow.
We went out in town in our flight suits, I couldn't buy a beer any where I went, what a great town!
Sparky

ram3500-RCU 10-24-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 11646128)
Gary,
i brought an EA-6B Prowler in for the Cleveland airshow in 1980. I can't believe it was that long ago! Burke Lakefront airport at that time didn't have an instrument approach that was compatiable with our $70m airplane (the most expensive production airplane at the time)
So we just did a let down over the lake to VFR under the clouds at 500' turned around and used our radar to find the shoreline then worked our way around and landed. Corky Fornoff was doing a solo Bearcat routine since his Dad had been killed a few years prior in his Bearcat during another airshow.
We went out in town in our flight suits, I couldn't buy a beer any where I went, what a great town!
Sparky

WOW Sparky!! Great story. I was there. Long ago? I was 27, had been married for 7 years, and had two kids. I am now 60, been married 40 years, and have 8 kids (7 living). Yea, that was a few years ago.:cool:

Cleveland has changed a lot as well. Many things to see and do now.

TrevUK 10-25-2013 01:50 AM

Greetings from the Comp ARF Corsair chapter based across the pond,a colleague and I have been campaigning two of these birds for just over two years - Moki 250's and Solo 3 blade ( carbon ) props of course - to those who have not yet completed their Corsairs then please do so,you will not find a better flying warbird and with the Moki upfront the soundtrack takes some beating.
Gary mentioned the Cleveland airshow and getting a formation of Corsairs together - go for it guys nothing looks and sounds better - a video showing our two UK based Corsairs flying together,apologies if some have seen it before : - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emoJO-t17zE

Cheers Trevor

elmshoot 10-25-2013 09:41 AM

Gary,
I have a Bates Hellcat that should be flying next year who knows? I am right be hind you with age and kids, 59 with a married daughter and grandson. I have always had a good time in Cleveland on the few times I have visited. On that visit I think we ended up down on the "flats" which was on the river. It was so polluted the locals were worried about it catching fire. But give me a beer and some music great conversation and I am pretty content.
Sparky

ram3500-RCU 10-25-2013 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by elmshoot (Post 11646554)
Gary,
I have a Bates Hellcat that should be flying next year who knows? I am right be hind you with age and kids, 59 with a married daughter and grandson. I have always had a good time in Cleveland on the few times I have visited. On that visit I think we ended up down on the "flats" which was on the river. It was so polluted the locals were worried about it catching fire. But give me a beer and some music great conversation and I am pretty content.
Sparky

Yea, the "flats" became a real problem and were eventually shut down all together. Things are very different now. That area is being revived in a classy way. The air show is always over Labor Day week end, Sat -Mon. Should be fun, if the weather cooperates.

Sounds like we are of the same vintage. :cool:

ram3500-RCU 10-25-2013 04:28 PM

Thank you for posting the video link Trevor. I really enjoyed it. Great job of formation flying, BTW.

It is also a good advertisement for the electric gear conversion. :D Down & Locked does an outstanding job on these aircraft.

christiaan.geyskens 10-27-2013 01:21 AM

Hello Gary,

Still waiting for you to send me the Corsair Gun System.
Have you been able to look into things, as you have promised so many times already?
I mean, how hard can it be? Either you send it, or you don't......... but it would be nice to receive what I've paid for, so many months ago.

Regards,
Christiaan

ram3500-RCU 10-28-2013 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by christiaan.geyskens (Post 11647744)
Hello Gary,

Still waiting for you to send me the Corsair Gun System.
Have you been able to look into things, as you have promised so many times already?
I mean, how hard can it be? Either you send it, or you don't......... but it would be nice to receive what I've paid for, so many months ago.

Regards,
Christiaan

Chrisiaan, thank you for your kind response to my email. I have the second set ready. The 3 engine stand-offs that I am including this time, are marked for their "clock face" location, when facing the fire wall. Very important as they are all different lengths in order to set the proper engine thrust.

Thank you again for your support,
Gary