RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TOP FLIGHT GIANT P51 GROUND HANDLING ISSUE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/10966879-top-flight-giant-p51-ground-handling-issue.html)

AFTERBURNER1 02-22-2012 06:22 PM

RE: TOP FLIGHT GIANT P51 GROUND HANDLING ISSUE

Thanks Ron ... My new tires should be here tomorrow. What size is the tail wheel supposed to be? 1 3/4 or 2 inch. I had one of those hard rubber no tread 2 inch dubros on it and I'm sure the non tread was adding to the break dancing on landing... I bought both the 1 3/4 and 2 inch dubro treaded tires and popped them on the aluminum hub ( had two spare hubs). Also laid a bead o Zappa dappa goo prior to slinging the tire on.

AFTERBURNER1 02-22-2012 06:52 PM

So no toe in is the consensus yes????

Ron101 02-22-2012 08:53 PM

I have no toe in.... may 1 degree if any
I've also heard this plane doesn't like toe in

My bud at the feild flies his all the time and has it totally dialed in... so I know this plane can land and roll out like a baby
he has the dubro wheels on his

I have the wheel you took off I think a 1 3/4 or 2 non treaded aluminum tail wheel.... I'll run it and see how it feels
I needed something harder at my weight it was smashing the treaded wheel

I think it's good to go now

AFTERBURNER1 02-22-2012 09:13 PM

You should come fly with the Gang at Prado this Saturday morning.

Ron101 02-22-2012 11:49 PM

Thanks for the invite bud
But I'm in the Brentwood up north by San Francisco... we get that all the time :D

my go to answer is not O.J.'s Brentwood... it's more like small town

But I do hope to fly with you guys at big jolt and maybe best of the west

later
Ron

damagedgoodes 02-23-2012 02:40 AM

Without wanting to start the great toe-in/toe-out debate again, have a read of the following and make your own decision.

http://rcmf.co.uk/articles/toe-debate.html

If you can why not try a small amount of in, out and then none and see what suits the model. I'd be interested to hear the results and if it makes much difference either way.

Cheers,

Dave

MX240 02-23-2012 03:19 PM

If & when Top Flite comes out with their new 85" Corsair who is going to get one? Myself I am getting tired of Mustangs but to buy a whole new style landing gear when I have all these spare parts. Not sure?
But if it is made by TF you know it will fly right.

Ed 02-23-2012 07:02 PM

1 to 2 degrees toe-out, just enough to insure that you have no toe-in, and wheels land it only ! And read the British article above, it's spot on !

AFTERBURNER1 02-23-2012 08:54 PM

Toe out coming up.

MX240 02-24-2012 06:42 AM

Well, that is pretty inpressive article with all it's drawings and everything....and it would be a first for me as far as toe-out being the best.
Let us know when you hit the runway lights.

Ed 02-24-2012 09:26 AM

Been using toe-out on all my taildraggers for at least 30 years.

BobH 02-24-2012 01:00 PM

The VERY Longlegged FW190 used toe out. 1.5 degrees I think.

AFTERBURNER1 02-24-2012 01:19 PM

5 inch dubros don't fit. I think the ROBART tires on my scale wheels are 4.5

To get the 5 inch wheels to fit I would have to rework the gear blocks and mounting holes.

Doug

Ron101 02-25-2012 07:27 AM

That is strange Doug, mine fit in the wheel well perfect. Mine is the ARC version...is yours a kit built?
Sorry the hear they didn't work for you...that sucks. What is your plan now?

AFTERBURNER1 02-25-2012 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron101

That is strange Doug, mine fit in the wheel well perfect. Mine is the ARC version...is yours a kit built?
Sorry the hear they didn't work for you...that sucks. What is your plan now?
Mine is the arf kit as well. The problem is the gear blocks n mounts. I would have to redo all of the and that's not going to happen.:D
I bought this bird second hand and that is the way it was. The rubber that's on the Sierra rims is less than 5 inches as well. I'll go with the 4.5 dubros I guess,,,, close enough. The gear had a bunch of toe in and that has since been adjusted to 1-2 degrees toe out now. I also got rid of all the slop in the tail gear / wheel. New tail wheel as well. If it is still a biach I'll order the 4.5's tonight. A gas powered piece of balsa isn't going to beat me!!!:D

captainron 02-25-2012 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First of all Guys,
Don't listen to Larry coyote.........He doesn't have a clue! He doesn't own or never has had a Giant Scale P-51 Mustang. So he's obviously never landed one.... obviously doesn't know what it's like to land one........I know, I'm one of those buddies he mentioned.

Now, I HAVE a Top Flite P-51 Mustang converted to a B, as seen below. AND YES, SHE'S AN ABSOLUTE B....***TCH once the tail touches down. The Sierra gear have been popped out so many times from that famous side ways bunny hop, they almost know their own way back in. The real answer? A couple of you have already nailed it.......AND IT DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE TIRES........

1....40% OR MORE EXPO in the tail wheel........
2....shorten the tail wheel movement ....
3....once the tail touches down, AND YOU KNOW SHE'S NOT GONNA GO AIRBORNE AGAIN, nail the tail down ASAP with the elevator and get the flaps up. You need a lot of runway to just let her run, do not try and spin her around too soon or she will go away.....
4.....A slight and I mean a slight bit of Toe in is OK, but I have found that the gear struts have to be in a perfectly perpendicular relationship to the wing with the wheels in perfect alignment with the fuse..........

DO ALL THE ABOVE, AND YOU LIFE IN THE WORLD OF LANDING GS MUSTANGS, WILL BECOME A LOT MORE MANAGEABLE.........

prop wash 02-25-2012 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ron,you got it right on.I have two TFGS P51's and have flown on grass and hard surface and have never had much trouble.#3 is the key and main gear first.Have done some three points but not a good idea.
Tom

MX240 02-25-2012 04:05 PM

Yes, At last somebody that............

AFTERBURNER1 02-25-2012 06:08 PM

Flew it 8x today with the wheels set straight. Much much better but still a bit of squirrleyness. The last few flights my pal told me to land with only takeoff flap. What a difference. Straight rollout. I think the full flap setting is blanking out the affectiveness of the rudder.

captainron 02-26-2012 05:56 AM

VOALLA..................read #3 above........!

With that extreme strake of the GS TP Mustang, Getting the flaps up and out of the airflow, allows the elevator to once again become effective in nailing the tail section to the runway, hence, making the tail wheel effective.

AFTERBURNER
Wow........8 flgihts ? in one day? good job man. My heart won't take anymore than two flights on the big B shown above on any given weekend...........She really gets my attention. Sierra gear with Robart 10 spoke aluminum rims and Robart scale tires, all Hitec HS 5645's handled by JR rx and a LI FE 2100 mah 6.6 V battery. A G-62 Zenoah does the work up front.......Even the takeoff can be an adventure if your not on your toes or if there's any and I mean any sort of cross wing............WHEEEEEEEE! I LOVE THIS STUFF !!!!

JUST MY TWO CENTS....................................CAPTAIN RON

MX240 02-26-2012 08:52 AM

Ya I second that as four flights in a afternoon on my 51 is enough for me...but I usually have a smaller more expendable warbird with me to finsh out the evening.
For the airplane and engine (DA50) I use a 5000ma Lipo for radio and ignition and feel that gets me close enough to the cut-off voyage of 7V.
jim

Herb H 02-26-2012 12:23 PM

Short video of Doug's TF P-51D yesterday at Prado :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H7mfefwNSQ

MX240 02-26-2012 04:16 PM

Nice job man. Looks like you guys have a nice new field also.
Did I see some GREEN GRASS???? Yes I did....wow I haven't seen green grass for four months...sob

Ron101 02-26-2012 04:58 PM

Nice job Doug

You know what I may go ahead and try the 4.5 also.... I made the 5" work but that will give it more rake

interesing find on the full flaps and that makes a ton of sence... mine is pretty heavy so I will have to pull them up after I touch down. That could be tricky

I'll order the 4.5 also and mod those. I just remember back when this plane came out all the guys having issues with the aerotech wheels.... they all replaced the rubber and bam the problem was solved

So with a mix of all these tips it will be a none issue

here is mine flying... you will note the video edit on the end of the roll out :D I got a little nutty..not bad at all just wagged the tail a bit

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-S4fUAgK4&list=UUZs_85GBgFakA1dJ1oKqyhA&index=5&fea ture=plcp[/youtube]

Thunderbolt47 02-26-2012 06:26 PM

I agree with #3, get rid of the flaps as soon as the plane is stuck. My stang has 300+ flights. I've never had a problem with ground handling.

I don't agree with #1 that is a personal prefrence. I use 25%
Kelly