RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood (All P-47s Welcome) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11591827-p-47-thunderbolt-brotherhood-all-p-47s-welcome.html)

acdii 08-31-2016 09:18 AM

oh, I sure hope mine doesn't look like that after its first flight! It goes up this Friday!

drice45 08-31-2016 09:30 AM

All due respect to Chris923...but here's another way to damage the top of your P47, without damaging your landing gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEzugmxJ2eU&index=58&list=PL-w6RHvwDoPPu2Pqlam9CCz-iPG4B47hX

HoundDog 08-31-2016 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12252886)
oh, I sure hope mine doesn't look like that after its first flight! It goes up this Friday!

"Rots a Ruck" Now who is it that says that? Anyway Go for It. Post some video and don't for get the before and after Pics.

acdii 08-31-2016 10:04 AM

Oh I got crashing out of my system Sunday.
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a2&oe=585264CF

ckd315 08-31-2016 10:41 AM

That low, low pass across the asphalt was one of the best inverted landings I've ever seen. Had that been on grass, I'm sure there would have been a greater collection of pieces/parts...

sjhanc 09-01-2016 05:37 AM

I did one of these inverted low passes with my TF .60 Mustang in 1975. It was a great (for me) pass and when I gave it up elevator to pull out after it passed the runway I was shocked to see it dive into the grass and re-kit itself. I had been trying a recommended trimming method for hands-off stable, inverted flight. The trimming method worked so good I forgot it was inverted. Since then I have been overly cautious when doing inverted stunts.

Joespeeder 09-01-2016 05:40 AM

Hey Guys,

Quick question... What are the current options for Topflite GS electric retracts ? I have a good friend that has had retracts ordered and paid for a month ago and is ready to look elsewhere due to getting various answers about when they will ship.

He is going to order the Robarts. Any others he should look at ?

Joe

acdii 09-01-2016 05:59 AM

Century Jet makes good retracts. Have a set for my Corsair.

HoundDog 09-01-2016 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by sjhanc (Post 12253212)
I did one of these inverted low passes with my TF .60 Mustang in 1975. It was a great (for me) pass and when I gave it up elevator to pull out after it passed the runway I was shocked to see it dive into the grass and re-kit itself. I had been trying a recommended trimming method for hands-off stable, inverted flight. The trimming method worked so good I forgot it was inverted. Since then I have been overly cautious when doing inverted stunts.

As rcmiket from El Paso TX says
"while inverted down is up and up is expensive!!!

ckd315 09-02-2016 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by sjhanc (Post 12253212)

"Rekit itself"... haha, I'm sure that was one kit that would be a mess to put back together...

acdii 09-02-2016 02:05 PM

Well, I have to admit, whoever said these planes are good fliers, they were RIGHT! Flew mine for the first time and it flew great, no bad tendencies like the Mustang has. Handles good on the ground in grass, and did not need flaps to land it. It landed so easy it felt like a trainer. Going to go over it once more to make sure all is tight, and make a new hatch where the one I made came off in flight. I just need a better way to hinge it and lock it. Thoughts would be appreciated.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...84&oe=584CE036

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7d&oe=584A1441

mikedj 09-02-2016 04:51 PM

I that is great to hear! I have a mustang, but was convinced to fly a jug first, so I found one to build first. Glad to hear I made the right choice!

Mike

Dave Wilshere 11-16-2016 09:01 AM

Test flew this Ziroli P-47 a couple of weeks back. MVVS 80 with Biela 22 x 10 four blade prop
JR radio throughout, Powerbox SRS

https://youtu.be/jEaSsJDVvvY

mirce 11-16-2016 09:05 AM

Very nice model...

acdii 11-16-2016 11:50 AM

ICYMI, bounced the right wing off a building while landing, crunched the cowl and heeded a few repairs, but it is just about ready to fly again. Got a new wing tube to cut to size, finish repairing the cowl, and then rebalance and it is ready to fly.

The problem was depth perception, I thought I was in front of it, but turned out to be behind it, due to the difference in size between this one and my other planes. Yeah, some moron built a hanger and we have to fly between it and a line of trees on certain days. If it weren't for a trailer at the end of the runway, which they were saying all summer they would move, I wouldn't have been as far left as I was.

rt3232 11-17-2016 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12252886)

Hay acdii have faith, if you have it balanced a bit nose heave it will fly great mine does, but with all the med sh@#t this season have not got out.

Cheers Bob T

acdii 11-17-2016 05:18 PM

Yep mine is a sweet flyer too, that was until I bounced the right wing tip on a roof. OOPS. It shall fly again, but not until next year.

swk550 01-14-2017 05:54 AM

Top Flite P-47

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first gasser warbirds. I just finished the giant TF P-47. One maiden flight so far. Flew fine. Have a fuel draw issue on my DLE 55RA. I think I had a pinched line. Hope to fly again today. Only needed 10oz nose weight to balance. I'm using Robart air retracts. Very pleased so far.

Todd D 01-14-2017 06:05 AM

Great choice, you'll love that plane. By far the best first giant scale warbird you can get. Mine has hundreds of flights on it now.

HoundDog 01-14-2017 06:05 AM

SWK: Now is the time to change your Picture from an IMAC plane to the Thunderbolt.

heirmeistr 04-22-2017 09:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I would like to join this brotherhood. I own two P-47's. The TopFlite P-47 .60 and the discontinued Hangar 9 P-47 30cc.
Both are great flying planes.

KaP2011 04-26-2017 09:55 AM

Problem with my Seagull 60 size P-47 SNAFU. I assembled this plane per the instruction manual, I didn't check the incidence on anything, I assumed everything would be at least close to where it should be. Balanced the plane where the instructions said it should be. I took it out to the field for it's maiden flight. The plane was nearly un-flyable however I did manage to get it back down with only a little damage. Cutting to the problem, when I got it home I started checking incidence's. With the horizontal stabilizer at 0 degrees the wing was at 2 deg negative. That couldn't be right, the tail was way high, so I set the plane up where it looked to be at the right flying attitude and checked the incidence again. With the wing at 2 degrees positive the horizontal stabilizer was at 4.5 degrees positive.
My question is what should the wing and stabilizer incidence's be?
With no plans to go by I'm using an imaginary datum line that runs through the center of the spinner to the center of the stabilizer to set the fuselage level.

Lifer 04-26-2017 10:45 AM

Incidence set at Zero-Zero would at least give you an opportunity to trim the plane out properly.

FlymoreRC 07-24-2017 06:31 PM

She was great, while she lasted

2 Attachment(s)
Lost my P-47 last May while at Joe Nall. I let her get too far out and the sun reflection confused me during a turn. Will have to acquire a replacement.

Maybe Hanger9 will bring the Thunderbolt back.

hairy46 07-24-2017 06:51 PM

Very Sad!

Very sad to see one go in, I hate crashes at an event, I know what it takes to get everything just right to make them fly well. Sorry for your loss!