RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CARF CORSAIR with out a Moki 250? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/11670408-carf-corsair-out-moki-250-a.html)

mikes68charger 10-04-2019 07:39 AM

CARF CORSAIR with out a Moki 250?

I have been looking, as I'm going to get my dream Corsair, a nice big Carf, but I do not want another Moki Motor. I have been down that rout, and it dead sticked on my, which caused me to lose my Airworld GeeBee R3, Yes they sound great, but they are kind of week.

So I have been looking for any builds where someone put something other than a Moki motor? I'm thinking ZDZ 224 4 cylinder, any thoughts?

IFLYBVM2 10-04-2019 10:04 AM

DA

Originally Posted by mikes68charger (Post 12554443)
I have been looking, as I'm going to get my dream Corsair, a nice big Carf, but I do not want another Moki Motor. I have been down that road, and it dead sticked on my, which caused me to lose my Airworld GeeBee R3, Yes they sound great, but they are kind of week.

So I have been looking for any builds where someone put something other than a Moki motor? I'm thinking ZDZ 224 4 cylinder, any thoughts?

A DA-120 should fly the airplane with no issues. Just expect to put LOTS of noseweight in; even with the Moki, which weighs 10lbs at least, she needs another 4 lbs or to CG correctly. I have not personally sen any that don't have the Moki, but I am sure they are out there.
Yes, the Moki learning curve is steep, this from someone who has been down that road, and still learning.
-Mike O.

dgiatr 10-05-2019 04:20 AM

Yes, you could consider me as another one who dont want to put a moki 250 to its warbird. I own a 1/4 scale sist fw 190. At that time i have one zdz 160 champion 2 stroke gas engine on it but i want to put something bigger on it, in order to swing a big scale 3blade prop. So i am thinking of some 4 cylinder flat gas engine as you do, in the future. The problem is of course the efficient cooling of that engine. So i will follow your thread!!!

Nickrc3 11-18-2019 07:43 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...99ce90f97a.jpg

Originally Posted by mikes68charger (Post 12554443)
I have been looking, as I'm going to get my dream Corsair, a nice big Carf, but I do not want another Moki Motor.

Mike68 - I can relate to your concerns. Just purchased the CARF P-47, and not ever owning a gas multi-cylinder, feel intimidated with complexity and reliability. The price, well that's entirely another matter.
A fellow club member does fly both his CARF warbirds with the DA twin's, and they fly very well. I may go this route, but like many others, hard to not get addicted with that sound as she fly's by. Unfortunately in using the twin gas engine, they sound like another leaf-blower engine. This model really serves a radial.

ButchPendergrass 11-18-2019 11:46 AM

I am running a DLA 128 quad Meister Scale p47 greet performance

David Jackson 05-14-2020 10:30 AM

Completing a Carf Corsair with a Moki 250. Just curious, is it best to balance the Carf Corsair inverted with the gear retracted?

IFLYBVM2 05-17-2020 02:00 AM

CG

Originally Posted by ButchPendergrass (Post 12564612)
I am running a DLA 128 quad Meister Scale p47 greet performance

Originally Posted by David Jackson (Post 12604293)
Completing a Carf Corsair with a Moki 250. Just curious, is it best to balance the Carf Corsair inverted with the gear retracted?

You will for sure want to have the gear retracted ; inverted or upright will not matter. Just whatever method is easier to achieve.
-Mike O

David Jackson 06-03-2020 03:07 PM

Mike O,
Thanks for the information. I've built two other corsairs (1/5 scale and 1/4 scale) from different kits/plans, and in one manual, balancing the model was with the gear down. Must have missed the specifics for balancing the Carf corsair in the literature provided for the model. Anyway, did maiden flight on my corsair today, it was easy maiden flight I've ever done.

IFLYBVM2 06-03-2020 04:39 PM

Congrats !!

So glad to hear that your maiden went well-
congrats to you and post some pics of your finished bird please.
-Mike O.

mikes68charger 06-04-2020 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by David Jackson (Post 12609291)
Mike O,
Thanks for the information. I've built two other corsairs (1/5 scale and 1/4 scale) from different kits/plans, and in one manual, balancing the model was with the gear down. Must have missed the specifics for balancing the Carf corsair in the literature provided for the model. Anyway, did maiden flight on my corsair today, it was easy maiden flight I've ever done.

What motor did you use?

David Jackson 06-04-2020 04:50 PM

Moki 250 with a Fiala 32x20 two-blade prop. Decided not to do a scale representation of the corsair with all the detail, and was able to keep the weight of the model to 52lbs with 40 oz of fuel.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e70e5c31ba.jpg

David Jackson 07-11-2020 02:00 PM

Short youtube Corsair video

K Rohrbach 02-04-2022 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2 (Post 12554466)
A DA-120 should fly the airplane with no issues. Just expect to put LOTS of noseweight in; even with the Moki, which weighs 10lbs at least, she needs another 4 lbs or to CG correctly. I have not personally sen any that don't have the Moki, but I am sure they are out there.
Yes, the Moki learning curve is steep, this from someone who has been down that road, and still learning.
-Mike O.

has anyone heard what the tork rating for the spark plugs, just want to be safe!!!!!