RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Is Pica going out of business? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/1990939-pica-going-out-business.html)

tailskid 04-01-2005 01:42 PM

RE: Is Pica going out of business?

I thought Mort was cool....and Jon was a genius - when they started doing the laser thing I could not believe how simple he made the process of building kits. I built their 1/12 Mustang and thought it was more 'snap' together than some plastic kits :). Never did get the P-40, but built both T-28's, one Cessna and have the smaller Cessna NIB right now!

Jerry

bhole74 04-01-2005 02:37 PM

I had a laser-cut 1/6 scale Pica P-51. Too bad there wasn't a single part in the kit which was actually laser-cut, all die cut. False advertising?

LDM 04-01-2005 05:22 PM

wow, thats a new one , I know they have a ton of wood, a ton of samding and planeing but I nevr heard about the die cut vs lasor .
I look over my 1/6 P40 and its fall out lasor , no doubt

DaddySam 04-01-2005 06:23 PM

My recollection is that the new kits (the P-40 both 1/5 and 1/6 and all of the 1/8 scale combat kits) were laser cut and that they were going to redo all of the older kits into laser cut as time and resources allowed. I hope that happens.
Sam

bhole74 04-01-2005 07:00 PM

I guess they sent me one that got lost in the warehouse long before they bought a laser. Their website said "laser-cut", Quantum's website said "laser cut", but laser cut it was not. May have to pull the box down out of the attic and take some pics of the leftover blanks. I contacted Pica at least 7 times over the course of a year about problems with this kit and didn't get anything but a "I'll have an tech call you", which never did happen. Unles they are under new ownership, they can just stay gone. IMHO
P.S. I still feel they owe me another kit, as does the other guys in the club that know what B.S. I went through with the kit I got.

tailskid 04-01-2005 07:44 PM

Sounds to me like you bought 'old stock'....

Jerry

bosssman 04-01-2005 08:42 PM

Im with LDM - I have both the 1/5 scale P-40 and the Spitfire. The wood is of excellent quality and the parts literally fall out of the sheets. I for one sure hope Pica comes back and introduces even more laser cut warbirds...

randy

LDM 04-01-2005 09:32 PM

I happen to fine the plane at Sheldons when I was on the west coast . I opened the box and it was all lasor cut . In addition I really liked the completeness of the kit with the preformed plastic parts .

My only beef is that the decals did not come with the kits so its tuff to find 1/6 scale P40 decals with the chinese stars .

So far I got the landing gear , a Gene Barton P40 spinner , Pica INterior P40 kit, so all that is left is the decal and engine choice

Chilipecker 04-05-2005 12:45 PM

Just announced at the Toledo Show..... Pica was bought by Cox Hobbies!!!!

tailskid 04-05-2005 02:08 PM

I hope that is good news....

Jerry

ho2zoo 04-06-2005 04:12 AM

Cox hobbies? Got to be a joke.

Anyway, wasn't Cox bought by somebody several years ago?

ffdq 04-06-2005 07:34 AM

HI DO YOU KNOW THERE WEB SITE AND DO THEY HAVE KITS NOW.
THANKS

hattend 04-06-2005 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: ho2zoo

Cox hobbies? Got to be a joke.

Anyway, wasn't Cox bought by somebody several years ago?

Cox Hobbies was bought by Estes.

Don

David Redden 04-06-2005 10:16 AM

Fans of Pica kits - it's true.

Cox is coming back to the hobby industry with ARF's, park flyers and much more. And coming this fall will be the re-introduction of Pica. It won't be on the website for a while so look for further announcements as to what will be available and when.

Cox has been a division of Estes since 1996.

David Redden
Cox

P-51B 04-06-2005 10:33 AM

He he...I am envisioning .049 powered 1/5 scale P-40's and rocket powered 1/5 scale mustangs!:D

Glad to here PICA is not lost and gone forever!

tailskid 04-06-2005 11:40 AM

David, glad to have you visiting this site.....can you give us any dates to look forward to?

Jerry

TomCrump 04-06-2005 12:56 PM

David, What about the old kit line? Are those fabulous WACOs still going to be available?

DaddySam 04-06-2005 01:22 PM

And lets not forget the great glues. Are they going to be available?
Sam

bhole74 04-06-2005 03:47 PM

Will customer service be available? Pica's was almost non-existant.[&o]

ad701xx 04-06-2005 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

And lets not forget the great glues. Are they going to be available?
Sam
Yeah, what Sam said. I ordered four bottles of Gluit from Sheldon's when I heard Pica was going out of business.

Dave

TLH101 04-06-2005 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: bhole74

Will customer service be available? Pica's was almost non-existant.[&o]
Almost??[:'(]

David Redden 04-06-2005 05:14 PM

Let me try to answer a few questions:

The Waco's were probably the most popular of all the Pica models and will certainly be available once again.

There is nothing available now and the earliest date that we expect to see new production will be September.

Cox only acquired the Pica kits. Sorry, we will not be handling the Pica glue line.

We will support the Pica line with spare parts and the extra items like the cockpit kits when the time comes.

David Redden
Cox

staggerwing 04-06-2005 05:25 PM

Hope this pans out better than the Sterling acquistion.

Rich

JL1 04-06-2005 06:48 PM

Dave, will the Duelist be put back into production?

JimInCA 04-06-2005 07:32 PM

David,
This is great news. Do you have a web site?
Jim...