RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2257933-tf-gs-p47-build-yeah-another-bloody-one.html)

Michel 05-06-2008 07:27 PM

RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Got some more work done on the build . Finished sheeting the top front end and did some filling and sanding . You know , I hear so much about how people do not like sanding Now , I cannot say that I love sanding , but I can appreciate what a good few hours of sanding can do . I can pass hours on a model and for some reason the time passes so fast . I only passed a few hours sanding and the fuss seem to come to some life of what its suppose to represent . Its sad to say that building is a dyeing breed . And lets face it , its more expensive to build than it is to purchase an ARF ( a swearing word to a builder )

Michel

Canuck1 05-06-2008 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great news guy's. This plane flies like it is on rails. I took DWR's advice and made a small hole in the front baffle to reduce any low pressure area's............worked like a charm. This plane flies so well, only a bit of down trim required for level flight. The balance was bang on, and in a turn with ailerons only, the tail remained high in the turn, AWESOME!!!
Very happy with the way it flies. All up weight, 24 lbs, G-62 spinning a 22x10, Pro Zinger prop @ 6200 rpm. No in flight pictures, but will have a video posted as soon as I can. I am on cloud 9 right now :D

Craig

Peter_OZ 05-06-2008 11:28 PM

woo hoo congrats mate, very pleased to see you finished.

cheers
Peter

Canuck1 05-07-2008 12:02 AM

Peter
It has definately been a work in progress. Over a three year period. Hard to believe my first post was on page #7, post #156. Man that was 152 pages ago!!!!!!! Well worth the build. Now I can concentrate on flying the P-47 and Sopwith Pup. I do know that the Byron Corsair keeps on getting my attention, when I go into the shop.

Craig

Michel 05-07-2008 04:30 AM

Hi

Congratulations Greg and the plane looks great , it nice when you see all the efforts put in and the maiden uneventful .Really good work

Really good work

Michel

pdubree 05-07-2008 07:06 AM

Outstanding looking plane Craig. I Echo your comments. I just flew mine also see posts 3947 and 3948 on previous page. The good hard work pays off.

rt3232 05-07-2008 07:16 AM

Well Craig

I have to add my congrats[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif], After watching the build I hinda figured a hoo hummm maiden, :D:D anway will be waiting on the vid.

You gotta love it when things come togrther

Bob T

captainron 05-07-2008 12:08 PM

Craig,
Awesome looking Jug! I'm almost ready to cover. I noticed you did the two piece strut doors on the gear as the real scale one had. Could you post some nice close ups of them so we can see how you did it so well for us beginners? Maybe some info on how you made'em look so nice. I want to do'em on mine but don't have a clue how to do it.
I'm also going to use the Top Flite dummy radial, any reason why you didn't?
Thanks for your pics. It's great to see one of these finally get in the air from this age old post that started when Nixon was Pres.

DANG! I LOVE THIS HOBBY............................................C APTAIN RON.

ramcfarland 05-07-2008 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Pete , I was wet sanding a new project, when I spotted this Geko trapped in one of my empty flower pots..I was going to send him to you to mate with the gekos in your garage but what the hey I released little rascel.

All you guys building P-47s are all looking great.

Pete I'm looking forward to seeing your bird completed-

dwr 05-07-2008 02:08 PM

Congrats Craig! Way to go. That is an outstanding looking jug! DWR.

norm 05-07-2008 02:53 PM

Craig,

Great stuff, I cant wait to feel the way you do. Enjoy that feeling and you did a great job thanks for the tips they will be usefull specially the wing and gear doors. Hope you follow our work and share your experience on this, it greatly appreciated. Congrats on this flight and very nice looking plane.

Normand

captainron 05-07-2008 03:29 PM

Craig,
I went back through the whole post from page 1 to 159 and got most of the info I needed on the scale gear doors and anything else I needed to know and stuff I DIDN'T! This is an awesome forum with so much info to absorb.

DANG! I LOVE THIS HOBBY............................................. ................CAPTAIN RON.

rt3232 05-07-2008 04:43 PM

Hi Captianron

If you are looking for lots of little details look at canucks1 thread over on rcsb lots of neet stuff

Bob t

Michel 05-07-2008 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Took some time to work on the razer back . I really didn t liked the way that it looked . The build had more of a pointed shape and I didnt like that at all . I decided to give it more of a rounded shape .

Michel

ramcfarland 05-07-2008 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

Took some time to work on the razer back . I really didn t liked the way that it looked . The build had more of a pointed shape and I didnt like that at all . I decided to give it more of a rounded shape .

Michel
Interesting heres what I got working off Top Flites plans as well as constantly referencing a 'TAMAYA' 1/48 scale Thunderbolt Razor back kit ... its interesting just how much interest there is in a kit that does not even have the correct wing contour and I for one KNOW there will be another and lucky me having read Petes thread from the start. Now the question -be-when will we see a completed P-47[8D]

norm 05-07-2008 08:56 PM

Wow! What did you cover your plane with?

Normand

Peter_OZ 05-08-2008 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Canuck1

Peter
It has definately been a work in progress. Over a three year period. Hard to believe my first post was on page #7, post #156. Man that was 152 pages ago!!!!!!! Well worth the build. Now I can concentrate on flying the P-47 and Sopwith Pup. I do know that the Byron Corsair keeps on getting my attention, when I go into the shop.

Craig

Craig,
tell me about it! My little bloke was only about 18 months old when I first stated the 47, he is nearly 6 now!!! Can not beleive how slack I have been on this build.

anyway my planes and trailer go back to the house tonight and will be moving most of my other crap over during the next week so should have my workshop set up again in 2 weeks then back into the 47.

Going to take the opportunity to paint the walls in the workshop while I have everything out though as it is currently a horrible duck egg green. [:'(] ok under the belly of a mossie but not in the workshop!

Anyway stay tuned for progress. Hoping to also test fly the Vailly Sea Fury very soon too!

Now go build that Corsair!

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 05-08-2008 01:34 AM

Richard,
good move mate. We getting the little asian geckos that bark, got 100s of the buggers here and they drop pooh everywhere!

Keep the insects down though.

cheers
Peter

ramcfarland 05-08-2008 02:50 AM

ORIGINAL: normandouellette

Wow! What did you cover your plane with?

Normand
Hi Normand it is Flite Metal a dead soft super thin aluminum with an aggressive adhesive.If you are interested contact me PM. Thanks for the compliment,ask Pete I love compliments

www.flitemetal.com

Pete glad you liked the :) "local Geko"

Peter_OZ 05-08-2008 05:10 AM

yeah but dont pay him too many - he has to get his head through the bloody door!

captainron 05-08-2008 07:29 AM

THANKS BOB, CRAIG is a master builder with unmatched attention to detail.

DANG! I LOVE THIS HOBBY.........................CAPTAIN RON,

Peter_OZ 05-08-2008 05:46 PM

he does have some good skills and ideas for sure

Canuck1 05-09-2008 08:44 AM

Lets see if this works. Shortend the video to remove all the inapropriate language etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2_ay20veSg

Craig

ramcfarland 05-09-2008 09:00 AM

Craig,that was nice the back ground smooth flying and the touch down and roll out with out striking the prop.

CONGRATS SIR!

norm 05-09-2008 09:41 AM

Flawless! I feel strongly for you craig as I am only commencing this journey of building a P-47...only the fuse done so far, but well done. time will tell how long.

Nice flight.

Normand

Michel 05-09-2008 03:48 PM

Hi Norm

Don t you mean : the fuse is done , the servos have been positioned and fitted , the tail feathers are done , the tank is installed the engine is completely installed , the cowl is completely installed , The throudle linkage is completely installed The glow driver is installed , the air valve is installed , an extra rack in the rear fuss is installed , the razerback has been modified , the cock-pit is complete, tail feathers , hinging is complete , the cowl ring is complete , the cowl blocks are complete . And lets not forget the entire fuse is sheeted .

Ya.................. right ...........ONLY............ the fuse is done ....................... 16 weeks and I have a 40 hour a week job ....... I must be slacking .

Michel[:o]

dwr 05-09-2008 06:25 PM

Craig, way to go! You wheeled that Jug on perfectly. Great project completed! DWR.

rt3232 05-09-2008 07:02 PM

Craig

Just got a chance to watch the vid, Out standing, great,[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] that bird is a keeper.

Bob T

sweetpea01 05-09-2008 07:06 PM

Craig-I agree "Worst darn landing I've seen all year!"

Won't get back to work on mine for at least 3 months due to the move.......then its full boar trying to get it finished but done right.

Peter_OZ 05-10-2008 01:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Canuck1

Lets see if this works. Shortend the video to remove all the inapropriate language etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2_ay20veSg

Craig

loverrrly ate, she seems to like crusing about at low throttle and anice slow landing at the end. Well done! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

rt3232 05-10-2008 04:44 PM

Just an up date sanding Ba hum bug[sm=rolleyes.gif] I think the wing is growing.

But flying season has finaly started so will give arm's a rest and go have some fun will try to post a pic of what flys

Bob T

6 1/2 months of winter suck

Canuck1 05-10-2008 06:02 PM

Hoping to get some more flights on the P-47 tomorrow, weather pending.

Craig

rt3232 05-10-2008 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Well weather went sower this afternoon so I got the wing sanded and ready for pnl lines but managed to get a coupla flights on my 1/3 weeks bipe.

Bobt

Peter_OZ 05-10-2008 08:38 PM

oh you just gotta love samding Bob, seems like that wing surface never ever gets finished!

Well got everything out of the way in the workshop so now I can do a little prep work on the walls and get them painted. I will then get the workshop set up again and get stuck into the P47.

Peter_OZ 05-10-2008 08:39 PM

nice looking bibe there Bob, I'd like to get a 1/3 scale tiggy and put on of those new 4cyl inline OS 4 strokers, think that would sound very sweet indeed

kranie 05-11-2008 08:46 AM

Canuck1,

wow, very nice looking plane. Mine is still in the box while I clean up some projects to clear off my building table. I have quite a bit of building experience- but I have never glassed a plane. I looked over you previous treads on your plane. But I didn't see anything about what kind of paint you used. Can you share that with me? and what kind of filler did you use to smooth out the glass for final sanding?

Thanks

sweetpea01 05-11-2008 10:50 AM

kraine

I used 3/4 oz cloth with Z-poxy Resin mixed at 1:1. We did a real thin first coat mixed with denatured alcohol ...it was pretty watery. First take a drafter brush to help lay the cloth on the surface(creates static). Then we applied it with a 4 inch paint brush. Just enough to cover the glass but not fill in the weave. Next day you can go back and lightley sand the parts/plane. We found some paper at HD (3X or something like that) , we used 220 (yellow) and 180 (red). They don't clog very much and cut very well. If you happen to sand through the glass you can add more glass or use Thin CA over the spot depending on how big the sand through was (it typically shows up as a white spot).

After the first sanding you then apply the resin again at 1:1 with no alcohol and use a squeege or playing card. We found that it was easier to make it as thin a coat as possible. If all the weave isn't covered its ok. Then repeat the sanding steps. Then repeat this step a 3rd time. If you do it correctly you will sand alot less or at least not as hard to get rid of high spots. The 3rd coat should be rather smooth and fill all the weave. For paint I'm going to use Klass-cote. Its the first time I've used it. I normally use PPG for my GS planes.

For filling imperfections......we used a combo of things. Some spackle on very low spots inbetween resin coats. (I wasn't a fan of this one though). My friend used red putty bondo for pinholes and dents. I used nitro starter (smells really strong, so use ventilation). Both of the last 2 worked very well. We just used what each of us had in our own possession.

There are some other methods out there of doing the glass.....I'm just giving you mine, which by the way was the first time I ever did it. It does take awhile to do, but once I applied the primer......I'm glad I did it!

kranie 05-11-2008 02:09 PM

very helpful- thanks alot!

Canuck1 05-11-2008 04:02 PM

kranie

I glassed using 3/4 oz cloth, and west systems epoxy. I laid my cloth on, and went over it with a brush and the static cling helped it stay down. I then put on the west systems epoxy and used an old credit card to squeegy out the excess resin. That is the only coat of resin that I use. I use primer from this point onward. Wet sanding after each coat to fill the weave. I also use bondo spot putty to fill any other small dents etc. I keep priming until the weave is all filled in. Once I complete that portion, I mark my panel line locations in pencil. I then apply chart tape on the lines for the panel locations. When that is all done, I spray three maybe four coats of primer over the lines. This does two things, builds up the panel area, and also allows enough primmer for burning in my rivets. After the primer had dried, I take some 400 wet paper and go over the panel line location. This removes the primer that is painted on the tape. I then remove the panel line tape, and voila, a recessed panel line. I complete the entire plane this way, adding rivet detail. Any raised panels are done either with aluminum tape, or premade fibreglassed pieces. When I am satisfied with the panel lines and rivets, I go over the whole plane with 400 wet paper, to smooth out any rough edges. This will make it all smooth for painting.
I used modelmasters paint on the P-47, the same paint that is used on plastic models. I airbrused it on, great paint, non toxic and easy clean up. I clearcoated with Klasskoat epoxy gloss to get the desired sheen as for my documentation.
A little long winded, but thats basically what I did.

Two more flights on the P-47 today, however on my second landing, the gear on the port side came out, and this forced the gear on the starboard side to let go as well. The funny thing is that it did not bounce that hard but obviously it was enough. The hardwood rails actually split in half and the mounts broke off[:o]
I will epoxy these back in and pin them. I will also remove one more full turn of spring within the landing gear strut to loosen the tension. This should help with suspension.

I will post a couple of pictures of where they broke. A little dissapointed with the mishap, but this plane flies so good. Should be back in the air soon.

Craig

Canuck1 05-11-2008 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures. Will need to do a bit of cosmetic work after. I will fix the mounts fly it, to get better aquanted with the landing characteristics, then fix up the cosmetic stuff after.

Craig