RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2257933-tf-gs-p47-build-yeah-another-bloody-one.html)

edgeman55 12-08-2006 01:37 PM

RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Looks nice is he going to market them?

fockewulf37 12-08-2006 01:54 PM

If you want one PM me and i'll give you the particulars...

In other words YES...

Peter_OZ 12-09-2006 05:36 AM

ok sales show is over:eek:

on to the build.

spent a fair bit of the day on the 47, that is after my little blokes day care Christmas party was over:)

Oh and we still wish Merry CHRISTmas down here, none of this politically correct "happy holidays" nonsense.

the balsa ring for the cowl has been epoxied to the firewall and will be sand3ed back tomorrow to match contour of the fuz. Have also made the mounting brackets for the cowl. Will not be using them as per the book though but will have them permantly epoxied to the cowl then 6 self tapping screw with a hex head will be used to fasten the cowl to the firewall. Think this is how Richard did his.
Would have preferred to use aluminium but could not find an extrusion suitable so will try the plywood version first.

Bit os filling and sanding on the wing completed too.

cheers & MERRY CHRISTMAS
Peter

rt3232 12-09-2006 08:34 AM

Pete

When are we going to get pic's of this cowl thing, as I am now sure I under stand. Have started at post one to see what I can learn and have gotten to about page 10. my kit and goodies have not shown up as yet[&o]. Never been nervous about a build, but this one got me so bad I even went out and cleaned the shop, every thing that is except the tool bench, if I did that it would take me a month to get going. To much triva.

One other thing by chance was there any supplements to the manual? as nothing down loaded when I printed from T/F web site.

Cheers Bob T

Peter_OZ 12-09-2006 03:15 PM

Bob,
maaaate! No need to stress, it is a straightforward build. Only real area to watch out for is the wing when it has to go on the jigs.

There is a supplement to do with the landing geat and there is a review on it in the TF website. Let me know if you can not find them and I can email them to you.

Will get some piccies posted later today, 0617 here and we are about to choof off to head to Rosewood for the big Warbirds and Christmas Party meet. Taking the P51 up.

cheers
Peter

p.s clean the workshop, now there is a thought? Hmmm thought woke up with a thought but only found a problem in hand:eek:[:-]

Peter_OZ 12-09-2006 03:17 PM

or as confucious said : "man who go to bed with problem wake up with solution in hand!"

ramcfarland 12-09-2006 04:14 PM

Pete the only problem is in the event several of the cowl screws loosen in flight the cowl contacts the propeller blade SO check them before a days flying but its worth the hassle not having the un sightly not to mention totally un scale screws sticking along the sides of the cowl. Lets see...have you decided on an engine yet? I'm sick and tired of BSing with mine and going with a 50 its time to fly the dusty oxidized Monster

Peter_OZ 12-10-2006 02:18 AM

Richard, got some decent sized self tapping types with hex head, they will screw directly into the ply of firewall so should be quite secure, if not I can always use spring washers as well.

I am also going to reinforce the cowl with carbon fibre where the brackets go and then will glass the inside with 6oz cloth.

Engine will be a DA-50. Saving my pennies for it now:eek:

Did not fly today, had retract problems and by the time I had that sorted out a bit of a crosswind had sprung up. Gut said not to fly so listned to it for once:D

cheers
PEter

SMUGator 12-10-2006 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

or as confucious said : "man who go to bed with problem wake up with solution in hand!"

Woman that fly airplane upside down have nasty crack up.

Peter_OZ 12-10-2006 03:18 AM

woman who go to bed with problem wake up swimming in solution!

SMUGator 12-10-2006 03:56 AM

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like bananas.

Peter_OZ 12-10-2006 04:23 AM

they do too;)

Peter_OZ 12-10-2006 04:25 AM

just sanded the balsa cowl bits and applied some filler to the join. Will let that dry overnight then can sand back tomorrow.

rt3232 12-10-2006 01:08 PM

Pete
I appreciate you comment about the stresss, this will be my third scale build, thrbuild is not my worry, I intend to make a lot of the scale mods and having never dun them before has me on the nervous side, but the shop looks good

Cheers Bob T

Peter_OZ 12-10-2006 04:35 PM

Bob,
doing the mods is most enjoyable as it allows you to stretch your self and extend upon your capabilities and skills. Only way to grow into the hobby is to push yourself.
cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 12-10-2006 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob,
here are some pics to illustrate the mounting method. Think the ply firewall will be substantial enough, if it ever does strip out then some 4-40 inserts can be installed and cap screws used in place of the self tapping type.

As you can see the extended shaft hex driver has no trouble reaching in. Just need to allow access room once the dummy engine and the real engine are in place!

cheers
Peter

rt3232 12-10-2006 09:44 PM

Hi Pete looks good to me, but with out the engine in place do you know ware to put them?? I will be using a G-62 in mine when I get there. Also a few post back you mentioned guide tubes are those still in the game??.

Cheers BobT

Peter_OZ 12-10-2006 09:46 PM

dunno about the guide tubes yet till I fit an engine etc

Peter_OZ 12-11-2006 12:48 AM

Well had a couple of good days plugging away on the 47 over this long weekend - gotta love RDOs (rostered days off) plus 1 day of leave to give a 4 day weekend.

Anyway now in the final stretch prior to glassing, touching up, bit of filler here and there. Will probably spend the rest of this week doing that sort of thing and giving both the fuz and wing a final sand with 600 grit.

I am still aiming for it to be glassed before Christmas, what a nice pressie that will be! :)

Got to say I am very happy with the fillets, both top and bottom. Many thanks to Richard for his advice and guidance there.

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 12-11-2006 12:53 AM

in reply to Tom and a woman's crack up - that would depend on the woman and the crack in question. Quite a few would look damn nice arched up.

and on that note . . .

peaches?

think about it, better yet go look at a peach[X(]:D

Major Canuck 12-16-2006 01:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to share my almost finished Top Flite P47 Razorback. What is remaining is to customize some decals. She is covered in monocoat and comes in at 20 lbs with all gear installed.:D

Peter_OZ 12-16-2006 02:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FIBERGLASSING!!

YESYESYES!

Can you believe it? I'm finally glassing this sucker after how long and how many bloody posts?

Anyway a couple of piccies as proof. 1st pic shows the glass being laid out, 2nd shows one half comple and last pic shows both halves glassed.

Once the resin cures I will wack it down with 80 grit then progressive cuts of 180, 240, & 360 then flip the wing over to glass the top and repeat the process.

Once that is done a 2nd coat of resin is qpplied and I repeat the sanding process but finish with 600 grit wet and dry. End result will be a nice smooth finish. And VERY light!:)

cheers
Peter

rt3232 12-16-2006 04:42 PM

Looks good to me Pete

Hope I can do as well

Bob t

timothy thompson 12-16-2006 05:00 PM

rotating landing light?

Peter_OZ 12-16-2006 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you will mate, you will and if you need pointers on doing it just sing out!

Tim: Yes rotating landing light, will slave to either retracts or flaps. Uses 9 hi intensity LEDs

Peter_OZ 12-17-2006 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
started glassing the fuz today, one half has the cloth on and first coat of resin. Had some resin left over so sanded back the nose of the Cub and applied the 2nd coat to that.

So that is another job getting some progress on too! :)

rt3232 12-17-2006 12:19 PM

Yo Pete

Looks like you are coming along vary nicely.

Doing some home work on the scale hinge line for the tail feathers, I have reviewed all of your pic way back, but the one thing you did not show is the type of hinge pin you used. Would you mind jogging your memory!

Cheers Bob T

Peter_OZ 12-17-2006 03:08 PM

large size robart hinge pins used, as per the manual

I simply fitted them in the scale locations and in the scale qty instead of what the book says. i.e 3 hinges used per flap instead of 4.

rt3232 12-17-2006 03:31 PM

Thanks Pete

I kind of figuered that, just was not sure.

Bob T

SMUGator 12-17-2006 03:45 PM

Looking great, Peter! We've been without power here for the last 60 hours or so due to a windstorm, so I'm just catching back up. Any tips on selecting, controlling and powering landing lights and nav lights would be welcome. Chris and I are just starting to think through that on our Corsair build.

Tom

ticketec 12-18-2006 09:08 AM

Hey Pete,

Looking really good!!! i like the landing light. didn't see that one when i was check out your model!! looks real cool.

At Vienna airport at the moment, but still keeping an eye on things back home;)

thanks

rt3232 12-19-2006 08:13 PM

Hi Pete

The package came to day and those dwg's will help abunch.

Thanks again

Cheers Bob T

Peter_OZ 12-20-2006 08:37 PM

Bob,

no wukkin furries! :D

cheers & Merry Christmas!

Peter

Peter_OZ 12-20-2006 08:43 PM

Tom,
that is no good mate, hope the beer did not get hot![X(]

I wrote a fair bit of blub earlier in the thread on the nav & landing lights. Nav lights will simply come on when either gear is down of flaps, depending on what ch I use as the slave. I will be making a little electronic switch cct that is triggered by the slave ch.

As for landing light I have a small JR micro servo driving the mech which is on the slave ch, the light will be switched on by the electronic switch and hence via the slave ch. It will use it's own 4.8v nicd pack. Light itself is 9 x hi intensity LEDs so little current drain, think it pulls about 60mA which is very low, to use a Xenon lamp would pull about 600mA.

no further glassing progress to date as I need to give the first coat a min of 3 - 4 days to harden before hitting it with the sandpaper. Should have the top of the wing and the other 1/2 of the fuz glassed over the weekend.

cheers
Peter

ramcfarland 12-20-2006 08:45 PM

Hey every body and you too Pete HoHoHoHoHoand a batttle e Errrrrrrrumnnnnnnn ----------Nearing paint stage looks like Pete Mannnif we could fly our P-47s at the same field if I win the lotto I will [;)

Peter_OZ 12-20-2006 08:45 PM

Hey Dave, safe trip mate. Bet your Mrs is impressed at you sitting on the email at the airport![:-][X(]:eek: NOT!

This thing should be close to finished by the time you get back.

appy appy ho ho and a merry glug glug

Peter_OZ 12-20-2006 08:46 PM

glad to help mate! :)

Peter_OZ 12-20-2006 08:48 PM

Richard, you been into the christmas cheer a bit early? aka home brew hehehe

well if i win lotto I could pop up anywhere. Certainly will not be back in the damn office though! Feet up or down in the workshop sounds good to me.

cheers

SMUGator 12-20-2006 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

I wrote a fair bit of blub earlier in the thread on the nav & landing lights. Nav lights will simply come on when either gear is down of flaps, depending on what ch I use as the slave. I will be making a little electronic switch cct that is triggered by the slave ch.

cheers
Peter
We're currently struggling with the design of the small electronic switch. Any how-tos on that could save us countless hours. :)

Cheers.

Tom

rt3232 12-20-2006 09:56 PM

Hi pete

A bit back you said you got your cowl chin scoop, ithink Areo-tech any way can't seam to find thwm would you mind posting that info again

Thanks Bob T ans a MARRY CHRISTMAS to all