RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/2257933-tf-gs-p47-build-yeah-another-bloody-one.html)

Peter_OZ 12-10-2004 10:06 PM

RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

1 Attachment(s)
Kirk,
still at it but have been busy with work trips and just got back from a week off with the family. I'm then off to Hong kong for a week on monday so hopfully should get back into it after that.

some good news though, ordered all my retract gear for my TF GS Corsair. thought I had better get it now as TF no longer produce this kit and so Robart will soon stop offering the retracts too. Tower had a note on these gear that there are in very short supply so that made up my mind. $442.32 USD later for all the bits ouch

kirk if you are not detailing your 47 I would not worry about the rear gear doors.

aqttached is a pic of adsalas p47 gear doors if you guys want some ideas. i'll be doing something along these lines myself.

cheers
Peter

Kirk RC 12-10-2004 11:56 PM

Peter,
welcome back! I going to do the tail doors, it just looks so much better than the big hole, even though Im not doing all the other detail. Starting covering and have the control surfaces done and now starting on the wing and just taking my time. This Sat is forecasted to be clear and +50 F! The last few times we have been flying here in Salt Lake its been below freezing and ice on the runway, so tommarow out comes the warbirds. The FW 190 hasnt been up in a month so its time to kick the tires and light the fires! The 47 sould be done in a month so its time to plan the next build. Im thinking about the Ziroli P-40. I have built the TF p-40 twice and never really liked how they flew. Maybe a bigger one will be better, any thoughts? I know you have had success with P-40's, ever done a big one?
Kirk

Peter_OZ 12-11-2004 05:30 AM

gday Kirk,

thanks for that welcome back. Glad you are making good progress on your plane, and even though i detest iron on coverings such as monokots and solarfilm you will have a very light plane in the end.

50F brrr man that is collllddddd. We are swealtering at the moment and extremely humid. Not pleasant. Maybe you could put snow skis on the wulf? Now that would be interesting . . .

big 40s do fly much better, there is a mob here called model design and they have a 94" E version. I will be after one of those towards end of 05 myself. To be honest it's time to give little warbirds the flick and get into the big stuff.

never flown a big one but seen a few and they fly so much better

off for now

cheers
PEter

racer-RCU 12-11-2004 04:01 PM

i have changed my mind about tthe covering, i will prolly just fiberglass the thing, i should be done with it by end of january hopefully, my next project will be a ziroli dc-3, already have the plans ordered

Peter_OZ 12-11-2004 06:08 PM

cool racer, you will get a much better finish and glass can be very light if done right. Paint is the area I need to work on more as I tend to overdo things and make it too heavy.

Got the tansmitter on charge and will load up a couple of planes soon and head off to the field. Glorious day here though very hot and humid.

Anyway catch u later
cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 12-12-2004 04:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well had a good day at the field, only took out the astrohog and the wifes pegasus trainer. Went for a wander over the other side amongst the trees where the P40 went in and found the pushrods and pushrod tubes off my OS FS120III that was wrecked when my P40 went in so was pleased to find those bits in the mud. amazing I found them amongst all the grass and mod etc.

Actually got a bit of work in on the P47 today. Sheeted the rear fuz both sides and trial fitted the stab, only had to do a wee sand on the LHS saddle to get both ends level with the board.

I now have to sand the filler back on the stab, elev, fin and rudders then build in the shrouds out of 1/64th ply for the rudder and elevators. Bit of work but looks very scale and makes the plane handle better. I can then epoxy in the stab and then the fin.

the pic shows the shrouds on the stab.

cheers
Peter

Kirk RC 12-12-2004 11:10 PM

Peter, amazing what you can find at a flying field when your not really looking! Sounds like your 47 is coming along. Ive been covering the wing on mine and glassing/painting the servo hatches and gear doors. Im still deciding but will most likely do Tar Heal Hal. Kinda goudy but no problem seeing it in the air thats for sure. I hear ya on the tinny 60-120 size warbirds, Ive done a dozen or so and have two TF kits left. The P-51B ShangriLa and a Hollywood Zero. I will build the P-51B, not so sure on the Hollywood. Both are out of production and hard to find,so you never see them at the field so from that perspective they are unique. How did your fuse sheeting lay down? If you remember I added stringers to keep it in round, didnt preshape the sheeting though. This weekend the flying weather was superb, slight to no breeze not a cloud in the sky and 55F-PERFECT !! The FW-190 (Pica) flew half dozen times and the Patty Wag Extra 300 (my only ARF) consumed a gallon of fuel. The Extra has a Moki 2.10 in her. The plan is to build (no ARF) a TF 1/5 P-51 and put the Moki in it. I would love to find a kit in the B version but they are very rare. Off to SanFran so the 47 would get any time untill later in the week.
Cheers
Kirk

Thunderchild 12-15-2004 01:55 AM

ORIGINAL: SBR_J

ok, well does any one know if top-flite are available to order in australia.
Hi there all. New to this forum.

SBR_J

Try Col Taylor Models in Wagga Wagga. They had the best price GS P47 that I have seen recently in Oz.

TC[8D]

BadLemon 12-26-2004 12:14 AM

Hi Peter
I have a question I've been following your thread and I was wondering if you started the wing yet? I'm curious on how you are going to relocate the gear. Also are you using robart or someone elses. The build looks really good keep it up. Doug

Peter_OZ 12-26-2004 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: douglaslemons

Hi Peter
I have a question I've been following your thread and I was wondering if you started the wing yet? I'm curious on how you are going to relocate the gear. Also are you using robart or someone elses. The build looks really good keep it up. Doug

doug,
mate no where near starting the wing as yet. Mods still to be worked out top re-locate the gear to scale possie but will require the use of a sub spar running in parallel to the main to distrubute the loading. No big deal I don't think.

Yes using robart, was going to get sierra but a bit pricey even though it is great gear. Have all the retracts, air accs, tail gear etc in the drawer just waiting. Got a nice set of 5" low profile sheels with scale covers from the UK, very light and only $40 AUD. Just need a tail wheel.

Thanks for your comments, no further work to date. Been doing afew things to the home theatre room and doing electrical work about home. Add in Christmas and it has slowed me down. also been trying to fit a new tail wheel asmble to my big CJM P51, bugger of a thing to mount.

anyway cheers for now
Peter

Peter_OZ 12-28-2004 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
People will say it is about time I did a bit more on this project and they are right!

So last night finally got myself into the garage and started doing the shrouds on the stab trailing edge. Was a bit worried initialy about how to di but it worked out to be very easy.

Took a sheet of 1/64th play and cut a strip 10mm wide about hald the length of the total stab.

Then measured in 5mm ont the trailing edge and using pins as guides I sanded a recess on the trailing edge using my perma grit bar sander. Dead easy to do. I fixed the ply with thick CA. Now a bit of light sanding and abit of filler then sand again.

Will do the fin later today then radius the elevator and rudder leading edges.

Piccies later

and no G62 under the tree either [:@] but my wife did shout me a 1 1/2 hour glider flight so that should be a ripper!! :D

ok piccies now posted -

middle photo: hmmm whataya mean the R5 service isn't fininshed - sheeesh why I outa belt ya one . . . hehehehe

he kind of looks like the Duke too.

cheers
Peter

p.s also been busy on my big P51 fitting the CJM tailwheel, man a lot of re-engineering to get that in and still not done!!

Kirk RC 12-28-2004 06:28 PM

Peter,
Glad to here your back at it! I have now finished covering the wing and hooked up the servos,retracts etc. put on the gear doors and just need to add the rondels and all done. I have the tail almost covered then its home free on the fuse. The plane will have 11 servos on 9channels including a Y on the flaps so at least a 2400Mha 6volt with regulator is needed. Sorry to here on the G62, there is always BDay. I talked to Truturn and the 2"hub looks to be the best fit, plus they can machine for your engine, total cost about $35USD. I also had the boys at CajunRC do the graphics, good group to work with and much better then the waterslide decals that come with the kit.
Keep us posted,
Cheers,
Kirk

Peter_OZ 12-29-2004 04:00 AM

Kirk,
mate you will be in the air in no time, wish I was that far ahead.

hmm I'm fitting 2 packs, might use a back up cct too. No need for aregulator on 6V, they only suck the life out of your battery trying to keep the voltage constant. One pack will be 3600 mAh and the other prob 2400, depends on if i put them in parallel or use the cct. If in parallel I'll just fit 2 x 2400 mAh AA NiMh packs.

Will keep Tru Turn in mind.

I've got a local bloke for the graphics, only need the Hairless Joe graphic, the roundels will be ok and all the stencills I do myself.

Ahhh G62 and I do have a Birthday next week and been dropping hints like mad but she is counting pennies after all my ebay splurges and splurges on Tower to get retracts for my big Corsair.

Well i'mm oiff to see what ebay has for me, kewl just won Pearl Harbour DVD - still waiting for the instal;l of the home theatre, maybe next week so at least i'll have a few DVDs to watch now.

cheers for now
Peter

Peter_OZ 01-06-2005 04:09 AM

Jan 6 2005

wet and damn humid, thank goodness for aircon and pool.

P51 has to wait as I am waiting on an order of air rams from tower to use on the tail gear doors. So back to the P47.

Retract gear for the TF GS Corsair arrived yesterday - Robart 148s and WC 160, spent a while drooling over that - very nice Robart gear.

Progress today:

Radiused the rudder LE and cut out the slots for the hingepoints. Trial fitted it to the stab, bit of a sand here and there and it works like a bought one.

Put filler on the rudder and elevators and laid aside to set. Sanding on them tomorrow maybe . . .

Epoxied the saddle and side sheets on the fuz.

Trial fitted the fin, trimmed leading edge till I can get it vertical @90 degrees in both axis, removed and set aside.

trial fitted stab, measured height at each end and tip to tip measurement - used wire trace so no stretch when measuring.

epoxied stab to fuz using 24 hr araldite . slow cure and very strong. Remeasured everything - all sweet.

Anyway off to play Dad.

cheers
Peter

ptgarcia 01-06-2005 04:11 PM

Kinda off subject here...

Peter,

Sweet truck in your driveway there. Is that an ARB winch bumper and bull bar up front? My wife loves that safari look so we're building up her 2001 Toyota 4-Runner. When done it would fit in quite nicely "downunder"!

Peter_OZ 01-07-2005 10:22 PM

Hey Pauly,

nope it isnt ARB, it is by a company just up the road from here called "Custom Alloy" they make a nice bullbar and sell a lot of product to Japan where it is rebagded as OME - [X(]

the fourbie is a Toyota Surf, 94 model, 3 lite turbo diesel, lots of Kms on the clock and is generally a good vehicle but does need good upkeep on it. We use it as a normal everyday car and for on the beach at places like Faser and Stradboke Is.

No need for a winch with what we do, if we get bogged either dig it out or get a tow using a snatch strap, plenty of other fourbies on the beach so it is pretty safe bet someone will help you out. Just need to watch the tide hehehe

think we have more fourbies per capita then most countries though most are what we call "Toorak tractors" Toorak being a snooty suburb in Melbourne where the rich live and sport Grammar school rowing club stickers on the rear window "GPS Rowing". They never get off road.

4 runner is basically same vehcile except ours is what we call here a "grey" import, not recognised nor supported by Toyota Australia.

anyway off to check out otherthings
cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 01-07-2005 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
picture updates:

note radiused LE on rudder.

3rd pic shows the fin and how I have marked the outline of the stab on it in correct location prior to trimming. I will leave about a 4mm overlap so I can ensure correct butt fittment against the stab. Once I have verified correct alignment in both axis I will then epoxy the fin in place.

oh and a pic of the fourbie on Stradbroke Is just for Pauly

cheers
Peter

ptgarcia 01-10-2005 12:23 PM

Thanks for the lessen and picture Peter, and keep up the good work on the P-47!

Peter_OZ 01-10-2005 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
no worries Pauly.
Guess your 4 runner uses the V6 donk? Thirsty bloody engine , mind you the 3 L turbo diesel is thirsty too.

Back to the P47.

Epoxied the fin on last night and now will start doing the remaining sheeting before flipping it over to begin work on the botom half.

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 01-11-2005 05:57 PM

Well 2 days in a a row i have found time to some building - whoo hooo!

Well not a lot done last night as it was glue drying delay. Using PVA to glue the strip to the sheets.

Glued on the top rear stringers and glued the 1/2" strip to the 4" x 30" sheets for the front sheeting. Will sheet the rest of the fuz tonight with a bit of luck.

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 01-12-2005 07:40 PM

make that 3 days in a row - what a record!

ok not a lot done last night but did get all the forward fuz sheeting done.

Will do the rear turtle deck and the fin fairing tonight. Piccie post tomorrow.

roger and out , wilco

ever wondered how come on a radio circuit everyone knows this roger guy? Guess he must be really popular.

unlike the poor bugger Bill Posters. Walk past most contructions sites or on a lot of walls and you will see these signs saying "Bill Posters will be prosecuted" Wonder what he did ??

ever wonder what a lert is? Everyone keeps asking people if they are alert, how can we tell if we don't know what one is?

Lerts must be funny creatures

cheers
Peter

aps f4u 01-13-2005 10:32 PM

Ok, I have a problem with the wheel size, and how it won't allow the retarct to lock out in the up position because the wheel interferes with th ribs and with the rib section completly removed down to the sheeting, it still won't allow the gear to lock out in the up position? is ther a miss print in the instructions were it says to use a 5" wheel, and should probably read 4"wheel? I cant figure it out, but I dont think it was in my bad part.
Are any of you out there building this kit running in to any problems like this? So far it has been an enjoyable build....untill this. I guess I'm a little upset that I spent $32 on wheels that won't work, and I probably won't ever use them, as this will be the last of giant scale anything that I build, man this thing is big!!.....or at least bigger than anything that I have ever built.
Any feed back on what you guys did to make this work, or if some of you did just go with 4"wheels because of this, please let me know. Thanks:D

a

Peter_OZ 01-14-2005 04:04 AM

aps,

the fact of the matter is TF have located the retracts in a non scale location. Check your 3 views and you will see what I mean. On the full size they cant back at an angle with respect to looking from above. that way the wheels are housed back where the wing is at it's thickets. The way TF have done leave very little room for wheels.
Robart did modify the 622 series retract to help aleviate the problem . What retracts do you have? Mine are the 622-P47.

However having said all of that I am redesigning the wing and locating the retracts in the scale location. In order to do that I will cut through the main spar and then fit a sub spar inboard of the main, they are in parallel and will overlap each other by quite a bit to distribute the loads. a bit of carbon fibre will also help.

There are thinner wheels out there, try some of the UK sites.

cheers and don't be put off!!!!

Peter

Peter_OZ 01-14-2005 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More progress today, nothing done last night as we got home late and I was buggered.

All the top of the fuz is now done bar filling and sanding.

flipped it over and have dry fi F1B through F5B, LCC, RLC. Need to do a little trimming here and there so will leave it at that for now.

Have also reinforced the stab joint. May even get some chopped strand but it prob does not need it and will only add weight just where I do not want it. The fin to stab joint will be externally reinforced with 2Oz cloth along the fillet area.

Some piccies posted.

yibida yibida that's all folks!!

cheers
Peter

p.s oops just remebered I forgot to add in the tank floor, will do it later

Peter_OZ 01-14-2005 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one more showing all the giblets dry fitted

aps f4u 01-14-2005 12:11 PM

Peter,
I am using the robart P-47 622 also, and I was wondering if one could shim up both of the mounting rails to raise the base of the retract, and allow the wheel to drop lower in to the wells? I cant get them to lock out even with the rib completly removed down to the sheeting, the wheel still touches up against the sheeting.

CraigM 01-14-2005 12:18 PM

Peter,

You've probably already thought about this, but when you set the gear back at an angle make sure that you also set the mount on an angle from top to bottom. This willcause the wheels to set in at an angle rather than parallel with the spar, but it you don't set the mount on an angle, then the wheels will be toed in significantly when the gear is down.

If you play with the angles of everything, you will see what I mean.

If this is not clear, let me know and I'll try to reword it.

I haven't started my wing yet, but when I started working out the angle of everything, I saw a problem with toe in, so I talked with some guys at my club who have built scale warbirds and we figured out what needed to be done.

Craig

RWHorton 01-14-2005 01:41 PM

Hello guys (gals) New to this site. Great site and lots of info.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Kirk I have a question, It must be fate but I am building the TF GS P-47 and I did all the upgrade you made, I sure didn't see the landing gear area strong enough,even chose the ZDZ 80.But anyway have you flown the plane yet and if so how does the ZDZ 80 perform?

Thanks

FalconWings 01-14-2005 03:00 PM

Guys,

1. How do you cut a perfect wheel well circle once sheeting has been applied?

2. I have the early generation Robart 622's. if I purchase the upgrade, will they fit perfectly inside the wing when retracted?

Did you guys know that in TF's website they have an annex for buidling scale landing gear doors? sweet!

heliraptor 01-14-2005 05:28 PM

Falcon Wings

Where is the gear door build up on the Top Flite site ??

Can't find it.

If I was cutting through sheeting I would lay down the retract to get the wheel diameter and location, using a dremel cut it undersize, then slowly using a sanding drum on the dremel open it out to get the right size and shape, this way your balsa won't get split up.

Cheers

Lee

Peter_OZ 01-14-2005 06:03 PM

aps, the only thing you could probably do is to twist the angle of the axle but in so doing you bring in toe in/out, you will need to fiddle with the angle of the mount to compensate.

It really is poor desgn on the part of Tf in order to simply the wing structure they totally stuffed up the retract location and mounting.

Good luck
cheers
PEter

Peter_OZ 01-14-2005 06:11 PM

Craig,
yup thought of that problem, haven't totally worked out the solution yet but have a good friend who has done it before so not overly worried at this stage. Once I start on the wing he will come over and lend his expert advice both on the sub spar and reinforcement and on the correct angles for the retracts.

It is fairly similar problem to that on a spitfire and he has just completed a 92" Mk XIV - almost same plane as my Mk XII, same molds just different fin/rudder.

90% of problem solving is identifying that there is a problem. The solutions are then quite simple if thought out.

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 01-14-2005 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Guys,

1. How do you cut a perfect wheel well circle once sheeting has been applied?

2. I have the early generation Robart 622's. if I purchase the upgrade, will they fit perfectly inside the wing when retracted?

Did you guys know that in TF's website they have an annex for buidling scale landing gear doors? sweet!

FW,

A 1. VERY CAREFULLY :D seriously many methods, get a tube same diameter, use a compass to trace out the circle the carefully cut it out or use a hobico circle cutter. Ber in mind the P47 does not have circular wheel wells but that they are kind of rectangular in shape.

A2. Read the related tech notice in TF's website. This will depend on what wheels you use

you have that annex taped to the wall in my workshop.

cheers
Peter

RWHorton 01-14-2005 07:58 PM

Here is the tech site on the TF page.

http://www.top-flite.com/techsupport/topa0415tech.html

rogindubai 01-15-2005 07:25 AM

Hi Guys,
Another P47 fanatic but Brit Ex Pat in the Middle East.(Dubai)
My TF GS 85" Jug is partially built (RH wing about to be sheeted.(Used lots of Carbon Fibre tube around retract frames to add strength)
Fuse is finished (almost)
Purchased a ZDZ 80 from RC Showcase and installed it on the Firewall with a Pitts Muffler.Mike Dooley is the man there and a really helpful and pleasant guy he is too.Their service is also excellent.
Everything fits inside the cowl but you need to adapt some mounts to get it far enough forward.
Carb is halfway through the firewall so made a dummy firewall inside the aircraft about 2 "in order to mount the Falcon ignition.
This is a really neat installation and puts the face of the prop flange about 1/2 inch outside the cowl.I have photos if anyone is interested.
Retracts are from Robart with the flat face oleo legs.
Wheels are from Ironbay, 5" with Block tread tires.
UP3 and UP1 sequencing valves for retracts and inner doors, tailwheel doors,flaps and canopy. Tailwheel is robart.
Prop is superb 24"variable/adjustable pitch from Carl Peter at Soloprops Canada.This comes with P47 scale-like hub and spinner and mounts to the ZDZ 6 bolt hub using an adapter kit.
This is a 3 blade but they are doing a 4 blade production run in Feb so will upgrade then.
Adjustable pitch from 0-23" at the slackening of the hub screws and dialling in a number which corresponds to a pitch .
Finish is epoxy resin then glass cloth over all with grey primer and Camoflage green top surfaces Silver below.
Will represent the aircraft flown by Bickerstaff in ETO and this has the Yellow and brown Diamond painted cowl squadron colours.
A Vargas naked lady on port and Stbd side just forward of the cockpit.(go to WWW 'little friends' for period photos and info.
'Petes Pilot' sits in the fully detailed cockpit full length.
40 oz tank.
1800 Ma on the ignition 4000 Ma on the gear.900 on landing lights.All JR servos with 8511's on flight criticals and JR 10 ch should get it airborne.

aps f4u 01-15-2005 10:44 AM

rogindubai,
you might want to consider different size wheels, as the 5"wheels come in contact with the sheeting(and that is with the rib completley removed) and doesn't allow the gear to fully retract, thus not allowing it to lock out, that is unless you have relocated the gear to the scale position, and you probably won't have this problem.
This is an issue I am dealing with right at the moment, and thinking about going with 4.5"wheels and shiming up the base of the gear 1/8 inch on both mounting rails, just to allow the gear to retract fully in the well and lockout, with out having the wheel interfere with the sheeting....I hope!
Good luck with yours, and let us know if you have any problems with this.:D

Oh, and one other thing........ I checked out the TF web site on the GS P-47 to see if there was any thing on my problem, and they show some pic's of how to make the functioning gear doors, well if you notice on there P-47, the gear rails look to be flush with the top of the ribs, and there mounting rails look to be about a half inch thick, as were mine are only a 1/4 inch thick. just thought this was interesting........

Peter_OZ 01-15-2005 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got in some nice building yesterday. All the framing up for the bottom of the fuz is complete except for the stringers right in the tail. Tail wheel retract is fitted, just have to run the air hoses.

I did a lot of reinforcing to joints using 3/8 x 3/8 square hardwood snad to triangle stock on the sander for critical areas around the firewall areas and the rest were done using 1/4 x 1/4 square balsa sanded to triangle stock. If you look through the series of photos you can see the areas I did. It adds bugger all weight but helps against vibration caused by the G62.

I have changed from the stock 2 elevator tubes, 2 rudder tube to 2 for elevators and 2 for rudder. For rudder I am using a pull pull cable system and both rudder and tail wheel steering will be connected via bell crank system driven by one servo.

I have attached a photo of the setup in my P51, I'll use same for the P47.

anyway now to load up some piccies.

cheers
Peter

Peter_OZ 01-15-2005 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
next set

Peter_OZ 01-15-2005 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the next for now

CraigM 01-16-2005 07:18 PM

Peter,

Great job!!!!

I wish I had decided to put in a pull-pull setup for the rudder before it was too late. I don't like the way the twin tubes come out of the back of the fuse. The pushrod does not slip real easy due to the bends in the tubes. I straightened out the bends some and it made it better, but like I said, I wish I'd decided to put in a pull-pull and hidden the control horn inside the rudder.

I'd sure like to see some pictures of your wing when you mount the gear. You're moving along faster than I am, so you'll probably have it done before I get there. :)

Craig