RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/3205356-new-81%22-p-47-arf-coming-hangar-9-a.html)

Canuck1 01-02-2006 01:10 PM

RE: New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

psavagerc
You have some great looking planes!!

Craig.

Kmot 01-02-2006 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mirwin

I'm going nuts, waiting for this fighter, so I'm starting to order goodies for it. I haven't decided how to do it yet, so I won't order a retractiable tail wheel just yet.

Anyway, I like this pilot figure, but I can't find it anywhere. I think it's a Zombie but I can't find their website. Anybody know what it is and where to get one?

Thanks much,

Mike

That just so happens to be my pilot figure. When they first came out, I ordered one from Perfect Pilots and had it painted by a guy they called "Zombie Master". They never did give out his actual name. I subsequently ordered a 1/4 scale pilot as well also painted by Zombie Master. I have heard that he is no longer painting the busts.

jamessymons 01-04-2006 08:08 AM

I took delivery of my P47 on the 17th of December. It is one big brute ! Apparently the quality issues had to do with the quality of the covering around the tail section of the aircraft. According to my local hobby shop all the P47's were unpacked by the distributor and a quality check was performed before sending them onto the hobby shops.

DrDeath 01-04-2006 10:12 AM

Sounds like Horizon is really trying to do this one right! I think that I will save some money for this one. Mmmmm, maybe striping it and glassing it and painting it. Just a thought :D

DD

SpitfireMKI 01-04-2006 10:58 AM

Great idea DD, just watch your weight if you intend to go with the G26 !

DrDeath 01-04-2006 11:56 AM

Yes, I will. Fully sheeted wings and such. I really would like to get your Stang, but the cash I have are gift certificates from Doug's. My wife/daughter, father-in-law and Sister-in-law all got me certs from Doug's. So, I will be converting them into a P-47 :D

DD

Veltro 01-04-2006 09:17 PM

My LHS is telling me the delivery date got pushed back again from February 20 until the end of February. At least the delays are now in terms of days instead of months. I'm more than happy to wait as long as we get a good product in the end.

As far as the wheel size goes, I'm speculating that it has to do with how much weight a retract servo can lift at the end of a strut that is "x" inches long.

mirwin 01-04-2006 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: jamessymons

I took delivery of my P47 on the 17th of December. It is one big brute ! Apparently the quality issues had to do with the quality of the covering around the tail section of the aircraft. According to my local hobby shop all the P47's were unpacked by the distributor and a quality check was performed before sending them onto the hobby shops.

Please keep us posted on your progress as you build it!

Mike

mirwin 01-04-2006 10:08 PM

I wonder if MinnFlyer's new retracts would fit on this plane?

http://204.96.183.34/RCU/grafx/Retract.wmv

MinnFlyer??

Mike

asnook 01-05-2006 07:55 AM

I Live in the UK and was due to take delivery of my P47 Dec 1st. On arrival to pick it up I was told all 40 would have to be retuned due to poor Quality. They are now due Feb sometime in the UK. I see the Horizon web site now shows Mid March, which in my opinion is another quess !!
Getting frustrated now !!!

DrDeath 01-05-2006 08:24 AM

Guys,

Here is the delima

1) People want delivery dates
2) People get mad if the delivery dates are late
3) People want a quality product
4) If the product has problems with quality they will get slammed
5) Vendor wants to insure excellent quality so they slipped the dates to insure a quality product
6) People slam vendor

Guys, you can't have it both ways.

splais 01-05-2006 08:42 AM

"Guys, you can't have it both ways."

Who wants to have it both ways? What is wrong with a company doing a little QA at the factory BEFORE a new model is shipped. Ordering a new model and not checking QA before it reaches the distributor is expensive and silly. An entire shipment gets to a local hobby shop and has to be rejected! Were are those planes going - back through a warehouse and out to another distributor that may not be so perceptive. How about:

(1) Design aircraft
(2) find factory
(3) QA factory work before shipping
(4) determine release date
(5) notify buying public, then keep them updated.

I do not like reading these kinds of issues with a new plane, been bitten before. I've had one on order figuring H9 would do it right the first time. Now it looks like they did not properly QA this model and are having to backtrack and now rush things to get this model on the market. So now we all have to decide if we want to take a chance on this 1st release plane or wait until others are willing to take a chance and do the operational testing.

SpitfireMKI 01-05-2006 09:14 AM

Hoooo Hum :eek:

You know Top Flite has missed a golden opportunity to come in and sell us a GS P-47, someone is asleep at the wheel over there !

Yes, it is good to see H9 trying to sell us a good product, hope the final result is worth the trouble !

S1

TLH101 01-05-2006 09:37 AM

I wish manufacturers would wait until the models are ready( read: well tested!) before even announcing them. That's the way it used to be. [&o]

DrDeath 01-05-2006 11:24 AM

Guys,

I have to commend H9 for being ballsy enough to stop a product from going to market during the busy Christmas season. Most vendors would have let it go to market with issues just for the sake of revenue. H9 decided to take the high road and hold off on putting out a product that didn't meet their QA specifications. It is truly amazing that when a vendor does the right thing they get slammed. If H9 would have pushed out the product and done the wrong thing they would have gotten slammed. As I have said before, you can't have it both ways.

Be glad that you have a vendor that wants to get it "Right" the first time versus a vendor that would have pushed the product out for the Christmas season for the all might $$$. In the words of those famous wine making brothers Ernest and Julio Gallo:

"We will sell no wine before it's time"

Patienceis a virtue guys. It will be out when it is out.

DD

MMcConville 01-05-2006 11:32 AM

I wish it were that simple, but unfortunately the process is far more complicated than that. Simply add in just the lead times for magazine ads and it becomes necessary to produce and place an ad before the first production of any model has been completed.

I guess I'll also have to say that the odds are that it isnt going to be an issue. I've been in this business for quite a while now, and I believe this is the second time we've had to delay release of a model that we announced because of a production quality problem.
Not making excuses at all, but at times a decision has to be made, and we will always make the decision that we believe is in the best interest if our customers. I will also say that the comment that the model is now being rushed to market is the opposite of reality. If that were the case they would be out now. There are a few of the models being built from the production run and with some rework of covering and some paint, they look perfect. But we want to deliver models to you that dont need that to be done and we wont ever intentionally do that.

DrDeath 01-05-2006 11:38 AM

AMEN Mike AMEN,

Well, you can send me mine without any covering anyway :D as I may glass it and paint it anyway.

Thanks Mike and H9 for doing the right thing. Do not worry about all of the people complaining about you guys doing the right thing.

DD

thevirginian 01-05-2006 12:02 PM

Mike,
I already placed an order for one of these beautiful birds. I am planning to put a G-38 in mine. I should have all the room under the cowl, I hope. A couple of members in my club fly the WM Zero G.S. with the G-38 and it's just the right engine for it. Although the G-38 is 12 oz heavier than the G-26 it should not present a problem balancing the C.G. properly. What's your opinion, Mike?

SpitfireMKI 01-05-2006 12:11 PM

Hey Mike,

Since we have your ear here, I like the Mustang and I like the Thunderbolt, but I already have one of each, how about something new ? How about a H9 GS Hellcat, Hurricane, Spitfire, FW190, just anything but the 'Standard' warbird. I don't know, I guess you are fighting a very limited market and have to produce what the masses want.

I'll get off the soapbox now, but I'll bet a Giant Corsair would go over real well if you could get a good set of retracts in it.

BTW: I have flown the H9 Cessna at over 30lbs with no modification, a testament to the quality being provided, Keep the good products flowing !

Mike

thevirginian 01-05-2006 12:22 PM

Dr.Death, I see it the same way. Sure, I can't wait to have my box dropped off at the door step. But I'd rather have a plane that does not cause me any frustration while building and has no other quality issues either. I had quite a few H9 airplanes and loved them all for what they were-great flying airplanes. I expect the same with this one. If there is an issue with manufacturing I can only relate to that, since I work for a manufacturing company myself. Things don't always go as expected. It's called human error.

SpitfireMKI 01-05-2006 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Not making excuses at all, but at times a decision has to be made, and we will always make the decision that we believe is in the best interest if our customers.
Working in the UAV industry I can fully appreciate your statement......H9 products reflect it as well.

MT

splais 01-05-2006 01:19 PM

Mike,

Perhaps you could comment in a general sense for us on the processes with a new model. H9 is not the only company that has caught a "less than perfect" product coming out of the factory, after the fact. I don't understand why this is not caught earlier in the manufacturing process. I know there are issues with travel and the cost of overseeing a factory several thousand miles away; but seems like it would save a lot of cost and heartache for everyone. Thanks for the time you take.

MMcConville 01-05-2006 02:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback on new model subjects. That's all good input.

On the general process of producing a model, what really works best to to form a relationship with a factory and work with then extensively to teach them how to do things, what is needed etc. Its not practical totry to be in the factory for production of every new model forus, there are just too many new models comming, pretty much constantly. Personally I've spent about 6 months in Asia over the past 5 years, as have several others in our company.

In a very general sense the process we follow is to come up with a design here. Work with the factroy through design revisions till it looks ok. Then prototypes and improved samples are built at the factory and tested here until the model is prototyped in a way that is 100% exctly the way we want it to be. Then the factory puts it into production knowing that the final protorype is the standard and all of production should be the same as that model.
We then at times are on site at the factory to look at the production. Other times we ship a few here to go over very closely. Only after were happy do they ship to us. Then we look at several samples after getting the shipment. Only after thay pass that, we ship them to our customers.

OK guys, I have a question for you. Personally I have a P-47 kit (which was from the new production that we approved) and am putting it together for myself. I'm going to us ethe Evolution 35cc in it, and I'll kep youposted as to how that goes.

I want to trick this one up just a little and do panel lines and a clear coat o dull it. I plan to use a black detail pen to draw on the panel lines, and then shoot some flat clear over it to dull the finish. Do any of you know a good satin finish clear coat that is fuel proof and goes well over Ultracote? This scale detail stuff is new to me.

splais 01-05-2006 02:15 PM

Thanks, so much. Iwill love to hear how that Evolution 35cc works out. I'm the guy that emailed you about putting a DA50 in her. My fallback position was to buy another engine. Obviously, the 35 comes to mind right off.

SpitfireMKI 01-05-2006 02:52 PM

Iron coverings give me a rash !:D Glass that baby !

How about plain old.......uuugghhh.....is there a problem using a competitors product ? Lusterkote clear works though I would go flat rather than semi gloss. Go over the covering with some steel wool or those new fake steel wool pads to make the covering look weathered, always remember that once a plane left the depot, it got dirty and oily, if it has codes on it, it's gonna look weathered, unless you're duping one of those pretty shiny showbirds that you see nowadays......

MT