RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Testors with flat hold up to 15%? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/4124344-testors-flat-hold-up-15%25.html)

evt 04-07-2006 12:47 PM

RE: Testors with flat hold up to 15%?

Yes, thanks for that test, I might try the Warbirds as that sounds fool and fuel proof.

Jeffery, around .5 oz glass cloth is what I use with z-poxy resin. Have heard west systems is a real good product.

Richard L. 04-07-2006 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: jls191

I plan on repainting the CMPro FW 190 that has a 71in WS how much paint would I need ... for example I will be using an airbrush and sprayer so how much primer would I need to cover the plan??
I'm not sure how much paint you need. I think a pint of each color would do it. By the way, Warbirdcolors has all the German RLM colors you would need for your plane.

jls191 04-07-2006 12:59 PM

Thanks Richard I am on the warbirdcolors site right now LOL

Richard L. 04-07-2006 01:01 PM

I'm going to try Warbirdcolors on my KMP 109 also. If I paint the markings on, then I wouldn't need to clear coat them.

jls191 04-07-2006 01:03 PM

That alone is a good enough reason for me to get the Warbirdcolors I am placing an order now.

carlbecker 04-07-2006 01:45 PM

You will still want to clear coat to smooth over the paint edge. Other wise it looks like a vinyl decal. Make sure you have very good ventilation if using Warbirdcolors. Its toxic.

Carl

Richard L. 04-07-2006 01:59 PM

It's really toxic? I was airbrushing, and I didn't smell any fume.

carlbecker 04-07-2006 03:59 PM

Richard,
Read the label. It says use GOOD ventilation, possible brain damage. I don't have that just one small open window with fan. Just because it doesn't smell doesn't mean it can not hurt you. Even if it smells bad it might not kill you, so always read the label. I will have to stick to Nelsons paints for now, its a lot less toxic. I have 3 cans of WarbirdColors. I will only use the primer hopefully twice a year for a few hours and then only with the fan. I don't need to lose any more brain cells. I don't think Testor's is good for you either but it doesn't seem as harmful. I try to always wear a mask when painting/sanding so I don't inhale particles but my mask is no good for fumes.

Carl

warbirdcolors 04-07-2006 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: carlbecker

You will still want to clear coat to smooth over the paint edge. Other wise it looks like a vinyl decal. Make sure you have very good ventilation if using Warbirdcolors. Its toxic.

Carl
It is always a good practice to use a mask or ventilator when spraying ANY PAINT. Much of the label on the WarbirdColors can is put on to "cover my ass", and because it is required by federal regulations. Yes, it is made up of "chemicals", and should not be inhaled, or ingested, but compared to most other stuff out there, i do not consider it to be "toxic". Don't drink it, don't stick your head in the can for an extended period. Yes you should use a mask or ventilator, to keep from breathing in the particles, but really........It's water based, NOT solvent based. Any paint should be used with proper ventilation.

SMUGator 04-07-2006 11:58 PM

I just bought the full spectrum of Klass Kote products to paint my p-47. Look for the results on Peter Oz's build thread as I'm chiming in there once in a while.

carlbecker 04-08-2006 08:49 AM

An old American Heritage Dictionary defines toxic as, harmful, destructive, or deadly. From reading the label : COMBUSTIBLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. VAPOR HARMFUL. I believe toxic to be a proper word to describe this paint. Booze is toxic also. This paint is more toxic than some and less toxic then others. Some auto paint is deadly.

One should always protect ones self. The greater the danger the more protection required.

I am glad the Feds require warnings and I am glad you cover yourself. Users need to decide on their conditions of use and determine requirements for protection.

I had assumed "water based paint" would not have such a strong warning label and be combustible. If the warning had been listed on the web site I probably would not have bought the paint as MY work place doesn't have a good cross flow of air. I think I will still use the primer and am glad I purchased it. I only paint one or two models a year and don't think 1 hour a night ten times a year presents much exposure. That is MY decision, others do as you wish.

I am not trying to bash anyone just inform. With proper conditions I would use this paint.

Carl

bigtim 04-09-2006 12:35 AM

if you go to your local paint supply a respirator is 35$ if you dont use it often then put it in a ziplock storage bag to preserve the cartridges they degrade with exposure to air, as often as I use mine I also store them in a ziplock to save cash. even latex has toxic chem. and exposure can harm you in small amts. just a little sound advice from your friendly neighborhood painting contractor. paint fades cancer is permanent most of the time.

Netherwing 04-09-2006 06:15 AM

Hello all. I'm in the process of fiberglassing a GP Stuka. I didn't like the Ultracoat (wrinkles always come back) and I wanted to add reinforcement on the outer wing joint. So, I need to pick a good sandable primer that will work with the Model Master oil based paint I plan to use. I'd like to use the primer to finish filling the weave in the cloth (.5 oz) instead of applying another coat of Ez-Lam (ACP). The epoxy resin seems lighter than other resins I've used (Z-poxy, etc.), but I've read that using primer to fill the weave can be lighter than a second layer of epoxy. I read that some people use automotive primer. Any suggestion on brand name and a reliable source? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Later,

Mike